Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How i can figure out if previous owner already disabled VCM? Is there any indication on the dash when it kicks in on the freeway? The green flower only shows up when i click green “eco” button. But it feels like it stays on all 6 cylinders on the freeway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
The green Icon is not related to the VCM. It is only on when you have the "ECON" mode turned on. Econ will cut back the throttle response when giving it gas from a stop, will run the HVAC differently to prevent it from being a bigger drag on the engine, and will also slow down the response when using cruise control... meaning if you want to resume a speed such as 60 after you had hit the brake, ECON mode will take longer to get you back up to 60 if you hit RESUME on the cruise.

I can't tell when my VCM is on or off, since it does it under certain conditions when the engine is not under acceleration. Like cruising on the freeway at 60 with no hills to cause the car to vary speed. Then the VCM will kick in, on and off. I have 16000 miles on my 2019, done a lot of steady level freeway driving, and have never felt when the VCM engages or dis-engages. I think you can also watch the tachometer to see a variance in RPM, but I don't know how big of a difference it would be.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
How i can figure out if previous owner already disabled VCM? Is there any indication on the dash when it kicks in on the freeway? The green flower only shows up when i click green “eco” button. But it feels like it stays on all 6 cylinders on the freeway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Eco button is not part of your VCM function. There is no indication if the device is working on 3rd Gen Honda. The way I determine it's working is by seeing the engine temp defaulted to 165.2°F with an OBD II scanner.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
63 Posts
Why do people want to disable VCM? I've seen a couple threads on this but nothing in detail. Is there a benefit to disabling the VCM?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Note8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Why do people want to disable VCM? I've seen a couple threads on this but nothing in detail. Is there a benefit to disabling the VCM?

The VCM operation causes certain cylinders to lay dormant when coasting, maintaing speed or in cruise. During this time, your valves remain open in these cylinders. Oil begins to travel into your exhaust clogging Cats and EGR valve. Oil deposits build up on spark plugs, injectors and valves. Misfire codes and emission codes can be prevented by disabling this function.
I like having 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time.

Reactions: MariaCR

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well documented history of causing long term damage in multiple Honda vehicles. Check just about any Honda forum. Typically didn't show up for years, but for those who bought these vehicles to keep its a best practice.

Sample from Ridgeline forum regarding one of the VCM defeat devices:

Q. Why would I want to disable VCM?
A. There are many discussions on this on many forums. VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) is a feature on Honda and Acura vehicles whereby cylinders are deactivated during light load cruising conditions in order to increase fuel economy numbers. However, it can lead to problems including but not limited to: excessive oil consumption; spark plug fouling; misfires and misfire codes; worn engine mounts; vibrations during VCM activation; hesitation when accelerating out of VCM mode; sense of a lack of power when cruising. Honda has admitted to some of these issues with the loss of their class action lawsuit, warranty extensions and TSB’s. GM has similar issues with their ACM technology.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
63 Posts
Well documented history of causing long term damage in multiple Honda vehicles. Check just about any Honda forum. Typically didn't show up for years, but for those who bought these vehicles to keep its a best practice.

Sample from Ridgeline forum regarding my device of choice:

Q. Why would I want to disable VCM?
A. There are many discussions on this on many forums. VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) is a feature on Honda and Acura vehicles whereby cylinders are deactivated during light load cruising conditions in order to increase fuel economy numbers. However, it can lead to problems including but not limited to: excessive oil consumption; spark plug fouling; misfires and misfire codes; worn engine mounts; vibrations during VCM activation; hesitation when accelerating out of VCM mode; sense of a lack of power when cruising. Honda has admitted to some of these issues with the loss of their class action lawsuit, warranty extensions and TSB’s. GM has similar issues with their ACM technology.

Thanks for the link, very informative! My 2018 pilot lease is up in March next year and I'm definitely not keeping it (not because I don't like it - for other reasons) but I will definitely keep this in mind for the next Pilot... Probably a 2021 pilot cuz don't think a 2022 will be out by then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts