Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...noticed an odor creeping up inside the ole '10 Pilot & I searched under seats, expecting to find some spoiled "groceries" that had maybe rolled there unseen...but, didn't find anything. After some thought, and even though I'd changed the cabin air filter just a few months ago, I decided to look at that and install a new one while at it. Behold!! A heckava mouse nest right on top of the filter...and a dead mouse! With a pretty strong shop vac and some work I'm thinking that I got all of "it" out and a new filter installed (...cleaned the filter bracket with bleach, BTW). The Pilot is garaged (enclosed) every night, incidentally, and most days & no signs of mice. In any event, odor now gone, fortunately. Now, in looking around as best I can I just don't see an air intake that a mouse would see as a "door", 'though I realize they require only a <1/2 inch or so for entry. Am I correct that the HVAC intake is the black plastic "plenum" at base of windshield/rear of hood? ...and, except for the "screen like" area on top and the two removable strut top access panels, there just aren't any "holes"? Yep, I'm wondering how in the heck did that mouse get in?:unsure:

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,044 Posts
The recirculating intake is right by the fan motor. Look to the right closer to the door

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
The recirculating intake is right by the fan motor. Look to the right closer to the door
A photo might help.
A soulution?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My sister had the same thing happen on her 2018 pilot. Also garage queen and the mice found a way inside the A/C ducting. When they pulled the A/C filter they found a couple baby mice inside too. honda did replace the filter housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
Look around in the engine compartment for evidence of where the mouse had been. Perhaps you will find a trail of claw marks at the point of entry. When a rat visited my Pilot a few months back it was very evident where it had been walking about.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My 4-legged visitors probably hitched a ride when I loaded the Pilot with boxes and bags of recyclables to the dump. Fortunately they didn’t stay in the Pilot long enough to cause any damage. Had a peanut butter loaded mouse trap in the Pilot for a few weeks to confirm they were gone LOL

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
My 4-legged visitors probably hitched a ride when I loaded the Pilot with boxes and bags of recyclables to the dump. Fortunately they didn’t stay in the Pilot long enough to cause any damage. Had a peanut butter loaded mouse trap in the Pilot for a few weeks to confirm they were gone LOL
Peanut butter FTW!
Ok, I removed the Mickey Mouse trapped pic. May be children watching.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking around the engine compartment...I don't see any tell-tale signs. I have always had a spark knock issue with this pilot when it's cool & low humidity & have heard that mice really love to gnaw the knock sensor wiring -- maybe he/she/they have been on board all along! In any event, after the new filter and thorough vacuuming and cleaning, there's no more odor. Believe I will set a trap for Mickey (Minnie?) just to be sure, though. ...could well be that recirc door was the entry point. Thanks for discussing, guys! Mc

·
Registered
587 Posts
If the mice got into the cabin somehow, they could easily crawl up into the dash and chew through the foam that covers the recycle air intake above the fan. Might want to remove to inspect that area too as @Rocky suggests.

If they came in from the outside, I would first inspect the plastic cowl for chew marks. I think there are drains under the plastic cowl near the strut towers which on the passenger side is close to the outside air intake for the cabin. Maybe that's another entry point from the outside. See pic of that area with cowl removed.

20160304_083000.jpg

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts

·
Registered
9,473 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
There was a reason we had barn cats when I was living on the farm. Perhaps you need a garage cat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a mouse make a home in my '05 Pilot. It entered where rainwater exits the plenum area below the windshield. There was a rubber flap that the mouse built a door in. I formed a barrier made out of hardware cloth to keep any more critters from entering after cleaning out the debris hauled in and disenfecting the plenum, fan and filter box.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I've had a mouse make a home in my '05 Pilot. It entered where rainwater exits the plenum area below the windshield. There was a rubber flap that the mouse built a door in. I formed a barrier made out of hardware cloth to keep any more critters from entering after cleaning out the debris hauled in and disenfecting the plenum, fan and filter box.

View attachment 135587

View attachment 135588
That seems to be the typical point of entry. Good job! Unless it’s distorted in the pics I would suggest using or adding a smaller grid barrier as those $&@/!? can squeeze through some small holes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this happen a couple years ago. Brought my 07 in for an oil change and the mechanic found a huge nest right on top of the battery. One cheap way to keep mice and rats away is dryer sheets. They hate the smell (you can google it) I use a couple sheets, tear into strips and tie them throughout the engine bay and around outside. Change very 6-8 mos. Never had a problem since.
2B1620BE-5770-44C4-88D1-F5E2F13D0CAB.jpeg

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts

·
Registered
9,473 Posts

View attachment 135587

View attachment 135588
Well those dirty little rats!
Thanks for the pictures.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
2 Posts
...noticed an odor creeping up inside the ole '10 Pilot & I searched under seats, expecting to find some spoiled "groceries" that had maybe rolled there unseen...but, didn't find anything. After some thought, and even though I'd changed the cabin air filter just a few months ago, I decided to look at that and install a new one while at it. Behold!! A heckava mouse nest right on top of the filter...and a dead mouse! With a pretty strong shop vac and some work I'm thinking that I got all of "it" out and a new filter installed (...cleaned the filter bracket with bleach, BTW). The Pilot is garaged (enclosed) every night, incidentally, and most days & no signs of mice. In any event, odor now gone, fortunately. Now, in looking around as best I can I just don't see an air intake that a mouse would see as a "door", 'though I realize they require only a <1/2 inch or so for entry. Am I correct that the HVAC intake is the black plastic "plenum" at base of windshield/rear of hood? ...and, except for the "screen like" area on top and the two removable strut top access panels, there just aren't any "holes"? Yep, I'm wondering how in the heck did that mouse get in?:unsure:
I garage my 2011 Pilot at my cottage, and it used to get mice. Got a tip from an old mechanic that worked well - use scented dryer sheets. Seems to keep the mice away.
Scott

1 - 20 of 20 Posts