Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, i have been with Honda for 13+ years

This is solid advice, Honda has issued a TSB ( Technical Service Bulletin ) regarding fouled spark plugs, i just recently finished a 2011 Odyssey that had DTC P0301 # 1 engine misfire and they used to have us just replace spark plugs 1-4, then update the PCM software to now go straight into replacing the piston rings.

For some reason only piston rings 1-3 are almost always affected, and we hardly see #4 go bad , i think we have only seen 2 since the recall/warranty extension has been issued that #4 misfire is recorded

I snapped some pics of the piston ring job i just did today

Curious?

Take a look

Cannot embed so click here
mannuel vega | Flickr
Thanks for the great info! I had a ring job done by Honda dealer 3 years ago and the P0302 code fired again (a few weeks ago, after only 31k miles after the ring job). I replaced an oil fouled plug and it seems to be running ok after clearing the code. I also needed to add 2/3 quart oil between the last change at 106k miles.
What do you recommend?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the great info! I had a ring job done by Honda dealer 3 years ago and the P0302 code fired again (a few weeks ago, after only 31k miles after the ring job). I replaced an oil fouled plug and it seems to be running ok after clearing the code. I also needed to add 2/3 quart oil between the last change at 106k miles.
What do you recommend?
svcm install

·
Registered
5 Posts
2011 Pilot. 99,000 miles. Recently installed VMTuner.

My father with a 2012 Odyssey and 120k just threw a code, Dealer says needs new rings.

Got me to thinking - how do I know how much damage my engine has? My 8 year extended warranty per the lawsuit is up in April 2019. Should I ditch this car after that? Or is this not that big of a deal?

I change the oil per the MM, which ends up being every 8000 miles give or take. Use Mobil 1 EP, at least since we bought it with 50k miles. We consume around 1/2 quart in between oil changes (8k miles) before the VCMTuner.

My question really is - is there any way I can evaluate how much damage is done to this engine, or premature wear? Will a simple compression test show it? Will a dealer do the ring repair based on their own testing, or do they need the codes thrown before they will consider it?
I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey and got the plug fouled codes and low oil and was almost stranded 600 miles from home at night, so that was very serious to me. They extended the warranty to 8 years but I had previously purchased an 8-year warranty so I got nothing. I installed the VCM Muzler and that seemed to help. I think Honda took the easy way out on this one. Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey and got the plug fouled codes and low oil and was almost stranded 600 miles from home at night, so that was very serious to me. They extended the warranty to 8 years but I had previously purchased an 8-year warranty so I got nothing. I installed the VCM Muzler and that seemed to help. I think Honda took the easy way out on this one. Good luck.

absolutely!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry for the position you are in. I am in a very similar spot with my 2011 (albeit much higher mileage) and my issues have been minimized drastically by the PCM reflash and the installation of the VCM Muzzler (posts #2, #51 sort of tell my story). I'm at 155k right now, I need to pull the plugs and post an update. Will try to do that this weekend.

Long story short:
  • New plugs at 60k per the Maintenence Minder
  • First P0301 was at @ ~90k miles. Threw in new plugs and ran fine. In general, it was burning about 1 qt every 5k miles (you may or may not consider this oil consumption 'fine', but at the time I knew nothing about the VCM issues and I was ok with burning oil if I didn't have to rebuild the engine on my dime at that time).
  • Second P0301 was at ~115k. At this point, I knew about the VCM suit and had Honda kickoff the first step of the ring replacement program (PCM reflash and new plugs in 1, 2, 3, & 4).
  • I installed the VCM Muzzler II @ ~130k. Kind of counterproductive IF my goal was to get Honda to redo the rings, because it should slow any ring wear caused by the VCM system, but I figured I would see if it would help at all. Also started doing oil changes at 4-6k miles, opposed to the typical 9-10k-ish miles that the Maintenence Minder says to do it.
  • Currently at 155k, have not fouled a plug since the reflash and new plugs at 115K. And now I am way past the 8 year mile mark. My Blackstone oil analysis shows that less metal from the rings is in the oil sample than prior to the reflash & VCM install (I know UOA's aren't the end-all-be-all determination of engine wear, but it is more than I know than without it. I attached my last 2 reports that describe the improvement I mentioned). Oil top-off is maybe .5-.75qt every oil change, so it is burning less oil now too.
Finally pulled my plugs. I guess they look "ok". Love to hear other people's opinions. So these have been in for 55k mi. Muzzler for the last 40k. Oil changes were done between 4-6k miles each time. Oil consumption is between .75 and 1.25qts between each change. Not sure if the engine is getting any healthier, but it's not getting worse! That's a win!

Also, zero oil in the plug tubes, but a little bit on the #1 threads it looks like to me. Close up is #1.
Liquid Glass bottle Fluid Drinkware Cosmetics

Automotive tire Tread Tire Wood Suspension

101 - 108 of 108 Posts