Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda did the ring on cyl #1-2-3 and plug 1to 4 after it take 3L Of oil between eatch oil change affter 20 000km a valve broke in cyl #6 du too the exes carbone i open the motor and the cyl 4 To 6 are grooved. I tink Wen the ecu cut the cyl it gose cold wen it gose back the oil on the ring cook good luck

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
2011 Pilot. 99,000 miles. Recently installed VMTuner.

My father with a 2012 Odyssey and 120k just threw a code, Dealer says needs new rings.

Got me to thinking - how do I know how much damage my engine has? My 8 year extended warranty per the lawsuit is up in April 2019. Should I ditch this car after that? Or is this not that big of a deal?

I change the oil per the MM, which ends up being every 8000 miles give or take. Use Mobil 1 EP, at least since we bought it with 50k miles. We consume around 1/2 quart in between oil changes (8k miles) before the VCMTuner.

My question really is - is there any way I can evaluate how much damage is done to this engine, or premature wear? Will a simple compression test show it? Will a dealer do the ring repair based on their own testing, or do they need the codes thrown before they will consider it?
Compression check would certainly show it if there is a problem with a cylinder compared to the others. I believe #3 and #4 cylinders are the ones that drop out at highway speeds. I can confirm that the spark plug on my #4 cylinder in my 2012 Crosstour (225k mles with VCM) has more discoloration than the others. This vehicle is used mostly at highway speeds. I have another 2012 Crosstour at 99k and will be disabling the VCM soon. I have no reason to think we can't get 100k more miles out of this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in your same exact shoes. Has your car ever fouled a plug to the point you lost the use of that cylinder? Have ever you changed the plugs?

Can someone chime in and offer advice on whether a leak down test would help us evaluate the amount of ring wear. I am fairly sure that is what that test is designed to do, but I am not certain.

My lengthy story is here, feel free to skip reading this, but I thought it might help a little to include it - I have a 2011 am at 127k and my 8 year mark expires in April. The cyl #1 plug fouled on my at about 90k (I had changed the plugs at 60k per the Honda schedule). At the time I did not know about the ECM suit, so I simply threw in a new plug and went about my business. When the car was at ~115k, #1 fouled again. At this point I learned about the ECM recall/lawsuit. I took the car to Honda and asked them if my car was a candidate for the ring replacement. They said it is a two step process and performed step 1 (replaced the #1-4 plugs and reflashed the ECM with the new program for cylinder deactivation). They said they only do step 2 (replace the rings) IF the car fouls plugs again. Fortunately (or more like unfortunately) it hasn't happened again yet. So now I am left thinking that I have 115k miles on my engine where excessive wear was occurring, but now it is band-aided enough to not foul a plug or throw a code and my motor will now not last as long as I had hoped and Honda will not remedy the situation if/WHEN it occurs again in a short while AND I am quickly running out of time (sorry about the run on).

I pulled the #1 plug two days ago and it is crusted in white, which in my experience is a sign of oil leakage into the cylinder. I also pulled #6 as a comparison (and since that cylinder doesn't deactivate) and it was much less crusted, but still slightly more then what I would call 'normal'. But since I haven't thrown a code yet, I Honda won't do anything. Super frustrating.
My #1 plug was caked with oil and burnt out 8/11/2020 just took it in and they are doing a RE-ring on cylinders 1.2 and 3 and it is covered

·
Registered
1 Posts
l wanted to express my concern regarding the piston issue, and Honda's coverage....

It was determined that my wife's 2013 Pilot has a piston misfire and I was informed that this is a known challenge with that model year, and that there is an active campaign for that year with unlimited mileage limitations.

Unfortunately, it was determined that it is a vin specific campaign and therefore even though it was the corresponding year and fell within the coverage range, Honda determined my vin does not qualify.

I spoke to Honda's customer service and they advised that there would also not be any "good will" consideration for my wife's case as we only have a short history with Honda , having owned the vehicle for 1 year and it being our first.

So yes, I am disappointed, anyone else have a similar experience?

probably not even 10%, think of the millions of pilots that they had built only to find that xxx% of those millions have piston ring issues.

And to be honest Honda actually had stepped up the warranty AND the goodwill warranty on these engines.

The warranty is 8 years unlimited mileage from original purchase date regardless of original owner.

So if you buy a 2012, with 256,000 miles and it has either a 1-4 misfire and the spark plugs are fouled, guess what ?

They are paying the dealership to install new rings free of charge. And it's normally a $4,000-$5,000 repair bill that is on them ( Honda ) And not only to they replace the rings on the affected cylinder, they pay for replacing of the rings on the other 2,3 and 4 cylinders that may be also affected.

They have literally upped their warranty extension game, i don't know of any other car maker that would pay for extra repairs that weren't even affected .

PLUS to the dealership it's free money , IMO it's a win/win for the customer AND the dealership .

The only thing that IS required is that the engine fall under the affected cylinder ( it has to code on it's own for either cylinders 1,2,3 or 4 ) and it can't have a rebuilt title or salvaged .

They won't pay for new piston rings if it has a rebuilt or salvaged title. Other than that if it falls under the warranty criteria , regardless of miles, they will pay for new rings and in some cases they will even pay for a rental car ( obviously if you meet the rental facility's criteria to drive a rental )

I hope that answers some questions

·
Registered
141 Posts
I spoke to Honda's customer service and they advised that there would also not be any "good will" consideration for my wife's case as we only have a short history with Honda , having owned the vehicle for 1 year and it being our first.
Makes you want to run out and buy another Honda right?

Curious... has anyone with problems considered trying ashless dispersant (AD) oil to prevent the fouling? You’ll still burn too much oil, but at least the oil will burn without fouling. Aircraft engines use AD oil ONLY because they burn a lot of oil. Most a quart every 8-10 hours. Problem with aircraft oil is it’s generally quite thick 20w-50 or straight 50 are most common. This got me looking to see if there maybe other AD oils that are lower viscosity. It looks like Phillips does make one focused on natural gas engines in 5w-30. Wonder if this could be a decent temporary hack for those who are getting denied repairs by Honda for their fantastic engineering.

Just a though... anyone considered it?

61 - 67 of 67 Posts