Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda did the ring on cyl #1-2-3 and plug 1to 4 after it take 3L Of oil between eatch oil change affter 20 000km a valve broke in cyl #6 du too the exes carbone i open the motor and the cyl 4 To 6 are grooved. I tink Wen the ecu cut the cyl it gose cold wen it gose back the oil on the ring cook good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
2011 Pilot. 99,000 miles. Recently installed VMTuner.

My father with a 2012 Odyssey and 120k just threw a code, Dealer says needs new rings.

Got me to thinking - how do I know how much damage my engine has? My 8 year extended warranty per the lawsuit is up in April 2019. Should I ditch this car after that? Or is this not that big of a deal?

I change the oil per the MM, which ends up being every 8000 miles give or take. Use Mobil 1 EP, at least since we bought it with 50k miles. We consume around 1/2 quart in between oil changes (8k miles) before the VCMTuner.

My question really is - is there any way I can evaluate how much damage is done to this engine, or premature wear? Will a simple compression test show it? Will a dealer do the ring repair based on their own testing, or do they need the codes thrown before they will consider it?
Compression check would certainly show it if there is a problem with a cylinder compared to the others. I believe #3 and #4 cylinders are the ones that drop out at highway speeds. I can confirm that the spark plug on my #4 cylinder in my 2012 Crosstour (225k mles with VCM) has more discoloration than the others. This vehicle is used mostly at highway speeds. I have another 2012 Crosstour at 99k and will be disabling the VCM soon. I have no reason to think we can't get 100k more miles out of this one.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts