Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm getting a solid CEL on the dash with a "Check Emissions System" message in the multi-function display after I made the swap. Only driven it about 5 miles since, but it's been idling smooth as before the issue occurred. Does anyone know how long before the CEL goes away? I suppose I can go to the local auto parts store and have them reset it? Yes, i checked the gas cap :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm getting the CEL and codes 0301, 0303 and 0304. I bought the 2010 Pilot after the 8 years was up. Bought it from the same dealership where the original owner bought it. I'm going to the dealer to ask for the repair under warranty. What do you think my chances are? They should have taken care of it before reselling, in my opinion. If they won't concede, what is my best option? Change the plugs and get a VCM muzzler?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm getting the CEL and codes 0301, 0303 and 0304. I bought the 2010 Pilot after the 8 years was up. Bought it from the same dealership where the original owner bought it. I'm going to the dealer to ask for the repair under warranty. What do you think my chances are? They should have taken care of it before reselling, in my opinion. If they won't concede, what is my best option? Change the plugs and get a VCM muzzler?

Thanks in advance.
There's nothing wrong with asking and that's what I would do since there's nothing to lose. If they don't want to do a good will repair, then as you mentioned, getting new plugs & the VCM Muzzler is your best bet.

BTW, my CEL went away this morning. I guess it needed sometime to clear the Emissions message after some driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 Pilot had the P301 come up last week. I had it in about 16 months ago and they replaced the plugs and said rings were fine. Today they told me that I needed a ring job and its 6 months past the 8 year extension. I asked them to contact Honda to see if they would do something since its documented I had been in before and told it was fine. They said it would take a few days to get a response.

I was getting ready to buy a new car and if Honda won't cover it then I'm putting in new plug and I'll be done with it. If they fix it then I hire that adds to the resale value a bit and/or trade in.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
BTW, my CEL went away this morning. I guess it needed sometime to clear the Emissions message after some driving.
In the future - to clear your codes - pull the battery connection for 10 minutes. This will drain the ECM of power and reset it. It will take a while to drive it before all sensors enter a ready status, but this is a poor mans way to clear codes.

The best way is to buy a $20 OBDII code reader on Amazon that connects to your phone. Anyone who is willing to work on modern vehicles needs one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Pilot. 99,000 miles. Recently installed VMTuner.

My father with a 2012 Odyssey and 120k just threw a code, Dealer says needs new rings.

Got me to thinking - how do I know how much damage my engine has? My 8 year extended warranty per the lawsuit is up in April 2019. Should I ditch this car after that? Or is this not that big of a deal?

I change the oil per the MM, which ends up being every 8000 miles give or take. Use Mobil 1 EP, at least since we bought it with 50k miles. We consume around 1/2 quart in between oil changes (8k miles) before the VCMTuner.

My question really is - is there any way I can evaluate how much damage is done to this engine, or premature wear? Will a simple compression test show it? Will a dealer do the ring repair based on their own testing, or do they need the codes thrown before they will consider it?
Order a lab analysis of your oil. It's not that expensive and gives you a comprehensive analysis giving you an idea of what engine components may be damaged based on the metal deposits in your oil. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

·
Registered
37 Posts
original owner of 2008 odyssey with VCM motor. I figured out about the class action suit when I went to check oil and didn't read on the dipstick. I have the dealer change every 5k. It was burning a little more than a quart per 4500 miles, they said won't do anything without throwing the misfire code. Car was running fine but never ate oil between changes. It started burning more so did second oil consumption test, got to the point it was burning a quart per 1k. I said at this rate I will have no oil left between changes.

After a lengthy battle with Honda I paid $675 to have the entire ring job done, shouldn't have cost me anything as it all started within first 8 years. It actually threw the code and all hell broke loose the day before my appt. Car was running like crap, had to be fixed. I had to pay $100 to have the other three plugs changed too. All happened at 100k miles. Have put 24k on it since the rebuild and running fine w/o burning oil. I was told the repair was a $3500 job. I still think I got screwed paying anything but had no choice, van needed repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So what is the frequency of this issue? 10%, 20% 50% of them?

Is there a year of the second gen that they did not have this ring issue?

Asking because I am debating buying a used pilot. Since seems mostly reported in the 100k-140k range this something I am looking out for as a buyer of a used pilot. Obviously this issue may be something a seller will avoid telling a buyer...
Bought a 2013 Pilot with 90k - 2 month later nothing but problems - misfire on spark plug 3 over and over again... I just found out about the TSB related to this issue.. not sure what to do? :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
probably not even 10%, think of the millions of pilots that they had built only to find that xxx% of those millions have piston ring issues.

And to be honest Honda actually had stepped up the warranty AND the goodwill warranty on these engines.

The warranty is 8 years unlimited mileage from original purchase date regardless of original owner.

So if you buy a 2012, with 256,000 miles and it has either a 1-4 misfire and the spark plugs are fouled, guess what ?

They are paying the dealership to install new rings free of charge. And it's normally a $4,000-$5,000 repair bill that is on them ( Honda ) And not only to they replace the rings on the affected cylinder, they pay for replacing of the rings on the other 2,3 and 4 cylinders that may be also affected.

They have literally upped their warranty extension game, i don't know of any other car maker that would pay for extra repairs that weren't even affected .

PLUS to the dealership it's free money , IMO it's a win/win for the customer AND the dealership .

The only thing that IS required is that the engine fall under the affected cylinder ( it has to code on it's own for either cylinders 1,2,3 or 4 ) and it can't have a rebuilt title or salvaged .

They won't pay for new piston rings if it has a rebuilt or salvaged title. Other than that if it falls under the warranty criteria , regardless of miles, they will pay for new rings and in some cases they will even pay for a rental car ( obviously if you meet the rental facility's criteria to drive a rental )

I hope that answers some questions
This is not true - Honda did not step up to the plate - I have had a misfire on spark plug 3 since the time I bought it (used). Just found out about the TSB Honda is saying my VIN does not fall under warranty.. I've seen other people in this forum with the same complaints... Very upsetting

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Bought a 2013 Pilot with 90k - 2 month later nothing but problems - misfire on spark plug 3 over and over again... I just found out about the TSB related to this issue.. not sure what to do? :(
If you aren't covered under warranty:

1. Buy and install VCMTUNER or similar VCM disabler.
2. Change your spark plugs to new ones of the correct NGK or Denso model/type, taking care not to buy counterfeit ones from Amazon/Ebay.
3. Monitor your oil consumption and spark plug fouling for the next 10k miles.

Then decide what to do. It is quite possible that disabling VCM will provide an acceptable level of spark plug life and oil consumption.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just wanted to drop a quick update to my saga (Post #2 in this thread). My Pilot is at 143k now, I installed a VCM muzzler around 130k, my car uses about 1.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes, I had the first step of the warranty (ECM flash and new plugs) done at 115k, no fouling since then. I have been doing the Blackstone oil analysis to monitor my oil condition for the last three changes. The first two came back as "all looks ok", this last one came back with what looks like increased engine wear. I am well past the 8 year mark, BUT since I did have the first step of the warranty work done already, I am hoping that Honda steps up to the plate if/when I foul again. We shall see.

Anyways, I thought everyone might find the oil reports interesting so I wanted to post the last two hear. LMK if you have any questions. Also, I follow the Maintenance Minder as for when to change the oil, not paying attention to the actual mileage. In anyone's experience, does this interval fluctuate? I ask because (if you notice the mileage on the reports) it looks like the interval between the first and second was ~6k, but the interval between 2 and 3 was ~10k (i did go 450 miles over the MM though, so it asked for the change at ~9.5k miles on the oil). Leaves me perplexed. I'll be changing at 5k go forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Interesting. I am wishing I would have started some blackstone testing. I think I will do that on my next oil change.

My plugs were changed at 99k miles, and installed VCMTuner at that time, 11/2018.

Fast forward to now, a year later, 111k miles. Still have never thrown a code for cylinder misfire. I did notice our oil consumption seems up, it was a quart low on this oil change, and the maintenance minder triggered sooner than previous oil changes...... closer to 5000 miles. Previous oil changes tripped in the 6000-8000 mile range. No idea why.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Interesting the last two posts indicate the oil consumption has continued after installing a device to disable VCM. I seem to recall that many post that after installing a VCM disable device that their oil consumption decreased or stopped. I guess YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Noob here. I bought my brother's 2009 Pilot Touring and he never disabled VCM. It just turned 140K. No issues when the ECO light comes on. I bought the S-VCM (haven't installed it yet). I know he had his plugs done around 125K due to misfires and that cleared the problem (I would have changed them before 100K).

Is the consensus that everyone should disable VCM? It seems to be running nicely (although this thing drinks gas like a son-of-a-gun).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Noob here. I bought my brother's 2009 Pilot Touring and he never disabled VCM. It just turned 140K. No issues when the ECO light comes on. I bought the S-VCM (haven't installed it yet). I know he had his plugs done around 125K due to misfires and that cleared the problem (I would have changed them before 100K).

Is the consensus that everyone should disable VCM? It seems to be running nicely (although this thing drinks gas like a son-of-a-gun).
I wouldn't say there is a consensus. Some folks have issues with oil consumption or performance, vibrations, etc. when VCM engages/disengages so having VCM disabled is an improvement for them. Some may just want to avoid the long term issues that may occur with VCM so they disable it.

If you fall into the latter category (which you might since you said you don't have issues with it), then think of it like insurance. Since you've already paid for S-VCM, then you've already paid the premium (unless you can get your money back) so why not install it and see how the car is after. If you notice improvements and mpg doesn't suffer then you'll be happy. If you don't notice any difference and mpg suffers, then remove it if you feel you don't need the insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks! That's exactly my plan. I was just wondering out loud if this is one of those issues that may plague a small percentage of people but since we're forum members, appears to be more prevalent.

Sort of like oil consumption on a pre- 2019 Shelby GT350 (a touchy subject on that board).

Regardless, I will be installing it as a safety precaution.

Steve

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks! That's exactly my plan. I was just wondering out loud if this is one of those issues that may plague a small percentage of people but since we're forum members, appears to be more prevalent.

Sort of like oil consumption on a pre- 2019 Shelby GT350 (a touchy subject on that board).

Regardless, I will be installing it as a safety precaution.

Steve
There are a couple of posts earlier in the thread from a Honda mechanic Amave17 who estimated that the VCM issue is only a problem from some, not most. Check out this post for example. But as you stated, if you only read this forum, you'd think it was prevalent.

Let us know how your install goes and what your experience is with it. More data is always welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to drop a quick update to my saga (Post #2 in this thread). My Pilot is at 143k now, I installed a VCM muzzler around 130k, my car uses about 1.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes, I had the first step of the warranty (ECM flash and new plugs) done at 115k, no fouling since then. I have been doing the Blackstone oil analysis to monitor my oil condition for the last three changes. The first two came back as "all looks ok", this last one came back with what looks like increased engine wear. I am well past the 8 year mark, BUT since I did have the first step of the warranty work done already, I am hoping that Honda steps up to the plate if/when I foul again. We shall see.

Anyways, I thought everyone might find the oil reports interesting so I wanted to post the last two hear. LMK if you have any questions. Also, I follow the Maintenance Minder as for when to change the oil, not paying attention to the actual mileage. In anyone's experience, does this interval fluctuate? I ask because (if you notice the mileage on the reports) it looks like the interval between the first and second was ~6k, but the interval between 2 and 3 was ~10k (i did go 450 miles over the MM though, so it asked for the change at ~9.5k miles on the oil). Leaves me perplexed. I'll be changing at 5k go forward.
Interesting post and thank you. I am in the same situation with step 1 being performed before my 8 years . I am now getting codes. Replaced plug and it went away. Going to dealer to see if step2 will be covered. Will be interested to see how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
D&LIN - do you still have your foiled plugs? If so, you should throw them back in so it is misfiring again before you go. Honda won’t do ANYTHING without the check engine light being on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda did the ring on cyl #1-2-3 and plug 1to 4 after it take 3L Of oil between eatch oil change affter 20 000km a valve broke in cyl #6 du too the exes carbone i open the motor and the cyl 4 To 6 are grooved. I tink Wen the ecu cut the cyl it gose cold wen it gose back the oil on the ring cook good luck

41 - 60 of 78 Posts