Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, i have been with Honda for 13+ years

This is solid advice, Honda has issued a TSB ( Technical Service Bulletin ) regarding fouled spark plugs, i just recently finished a 2011 Odyssey that had DTC P0301 # 1 engine misfire and they used to have us just replace spark plugs 1-4, then update the PCM software to now go straight into replacing the piston rings.

For some reason only piston rings 1-3 are almost always affected, and we hardly see #4 go bad , i think we have only seen 2 since the recall/warranty extension has been issued that #4 misfire is recorded

I snapped some pics of the piston ring job i just did today

Curious?

Take a look

Cannot embed so click here
mannuel vega | Flickr
Thanks for the great info! I had a ring job done by Honda dealer 3 years ago and the P0302 code fired again (a few weeks ago, after only 31k miles after the ring job). I replaced an oil fouled plug and it seems to be running ok after clearing the code. I also needed to add 2/3 quart oil between the last change at 106k miles.
What do you recommend?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2009 Honda Pilot, milage is at 181,000, this sounds good regarding the problems this car has with the piston rings recall. I had a check engine light come on and the VSA light as well. I took it to Honda and they diagnosed it with "fould spark plugs cylinder #2 and multiple misfires cylinders 1-3". I am way passed the extended warranty for this recall, just wanted some advice on getting rid of this car but needing this car to last me for at least another 3 months. Do I go about replacing spark plugs 1-3 and getting a VCM. Car feels fine but I just want to get the most money for this car when trading it in.
I installed an SVCM and have been running very well for past 3 months. I also ran Sea Foam through the throttle body to clean things up before replacing all 6 plugs. So far, so good thanks to suggestions from fellow Piloteers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts