Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 2013 odyssey with 147,700 miles. Last Saturday emission light came on. Took it to dealer on Monday. Misfire on 3. Did my research and found out about the extended warranty and talked to Honda to find out I was 6 months past the warranty expiration. The guy I talked to asked if we owned other Hondas, which we had. 2 accords, 2 Ridgelines, 2 odyssey’s, a motorcycle and (yes) 2 Honda lawnmowers. Thinking this would be proof enough of our loyalty, we were shocked when we got the call a few days later that they would not help with good will assist. Trying to take the matter up higher so we will see what happens. Our 2006 Ridgeline had a cracked engine block that was specific to certain VINs but Honda didn’t take responsibility for it and that was a financial loss. I just don’t know that I could get another Honda, thinking I’ll keep it for several hundred thousand miles only to get screwed again.
Thats not right
im having issues with my pilot as well...bought it new in 2012 and i have 2 civics currently
they wont help out.. We do have the right to take them to court...just fyi
in my mind, why do they get to set the parameters on the limitations of a manufactures design issue
UNBELIEVABLE Its also not right that they are not telling customers to unhook the vcm, which is said to cause these issues..i just did my svcm disable

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thats not right
im having issues with my pilot as well...bought it new in 2012 and i have 2 civics currently
they wont help out.. We do have the right to take them to court...just fyi
in my mind, why do they get to set the parameters on the limitations of a manufactures design issue
UNBELIEVABLE Its also not right that they are not telling customers to unhook the vcm, which is said to cause these issues..i just did my svcm disable
ohh and if they dont pay, i am filing against honda...it costs 75 bucks...whats that at this point
Theres a guy on here thats pretty knowledgeable.. he didnt say, but i think hes an attorney... i bet they would put some money toward the repair... plus i think its right to be heard( wonder if that makes the newspaper ? lol)

·
Registered
215 Posts
2011 Pilot. 99,000 miles. Recently installed VMTuner.

My father with a 2012 Odyssey and 120k just threw a code, Dealer says needs new rings.

Got me to thinking - how do I know how much damage my engine has? My 8 year extended warranty per the lawsuit is up in April 2019. Should I ditch this car after that? Or is with the rings this not that big of a deal?

I change the oil per the MM, which ends up being every 8000 miles give or take. Use Mobil 1 EP, at least since we bought it with 50k miles. We consume around 1/2 quart in between oil changes (8k miles) before the VCMTuner.

My question really is - is there any way I can evaluate how much damage is done to this engine, or premature wear? Will a simple compression test show it? Will a dealer do the ring repair based on their own testing, or do they need the codes thrown before they will consider it?
Dont want to start an argument...but id rather change my oil at 5k with a good filter...just my thoughts...and disable the vcm...i also think pulling the plugs and checking them would be a good indication...just my thoughts
Ive read the the mm oil changes seem to corollate with the rings( amd vcm)

·
Registered
215 Posts
They can't tell you to disable VCM because then they would fail Emissions and have to pay the EPA big fines. AND admit the tech is sh!t and should never have been used in the first place.
My belief is that if they are unwilling to tell you to unhook it , and unwilling to pay for repair that it causes, it appears that they are running from an issue! For me, it is not all about the money. It s the principle of me ever giving them another Nickle of my money. its been two months, and honda customer service has not even called me back. They did give me a case number. more people need to stand up to this!

·
Registered
215 Posts
VCM technology is proven to improve fuel economy. Honda will continue to produce V6 engine with this technology. We have a choice to buy it or reject it. Honda has addressed the problem with early models. For any older model Honda V6, we're on our own. At this point, we can only disable to try and extend the life of the engine or buy something else. For someone who only cares about the vehicle making it to the end of the warranty period, it's less of a concern if Honda is paying the bill.
Oh i absolutely reject it! The problem is that i was not aware of this information when buying my car. Now the information is out, and honda set limitations on how long its responsible for a manufacturing design.
The reason i think its a big deal , is if they own the issue...completely, that may help them to be a bit more choosey for the next latest and greatest idea. It would also restore trust that they will make it right. The people do have the power to force them to make it right. everyone just needs to realize it. It would also shape better customer care moving forward.

I read somewhere that its speculated that honda is moving away from this platform...any truth to that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 2013 Pilot just started having issues last night. Had no idea about the issue when I bought it. Unfortunately the dealer says the extended warranty has already expired. So I'm looking at a hefty repair bill. My question is, if I have the rings replaced is this problem going to happen again? I love the vehicle but I don't want to have to worry about this happening again.
if you leave the vcm enabled...in my opinion

nailgrease, you sleepin? covid?o_O

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the great info! I had a ring job done by Honda dealer 3 years ago and the P0302 code fired again (a few weeks ago, after only 31k miles after the ring job). I replaced an oil fouled plug and it seems to be running ok after clearing the code. I also needed to add 2/3 quart oil between the last change at 106k miles.
What do you recommend?
svcm install

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey and got the plug fouled codes and low oil and was almost stranded 600 miles from home at night, so that was very serious to me. They extended the warranty to 8 years but I had previously purchased an 8-year warranty so I got nothing. I installed the VCM Muzler and that seemed to help. I think Honda took the easy way out on this one. Good luck.

absolutely!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2010 Pilot with 60000 miles. I was getting a slight shudder from 20-40 MPH when not accelerating hard. It sounds a lot like the less intrusive mentions of the problem in this thread. I took it to a dealer and had a 60k service done which was pretty basic but did change transmission fluid. They stuck to the company line of not doing a VCM delete and talked to me about the TSB but said they didn't think mine was having the problem in their personal opinion and it definitely wasn't hitting the standard for the TSB (throwing codes for specific reasons), and I generally trust this dealer. After the service it does generally seem to be better, or I just got more used to. However, when specifically looking for it, I can barely find it anymore.

My question is if it's not really having issues, should I still do a VCM delete anyways? Is this a generally guaranteed issue at some point if I don't do a VCM delete?
My original take on this was if im not having issues, why fix something thats not broke. One i understood that this was a major design flaw that could/will show up down the road with oil consumption issues, i started to read about it. understanding that if the cylinder is deactivated, the valve is closed but the piston is still moving, creating a suction / negative pressure that over time will pull in oil past the oil control rings into the cylinder, thus burning oil. the residual oil left on the rings creates a bigger gap for more oil to come into the cylinder
I finally was on board! so i wanted to understand how to disable it , and be convinced it was not hurting my car. I found one of the vcm disable kits thats plug and play. ( had my 16 year old son do it while i watched. Your pilot wants to see your car fully warmed up before it will allow the vcm to disable cylinders. Basically this kit deceives the engine temp sensor by a few degrees so that it wont disable cylinders. it drives much nicer this way imo.
creating the vcm system was honda attempt at making fuel milage ratings, which is why they are not fixing the issue unless it meets warranty requirements. many of thes piston ring issues will be after warranty is up and could be prevented by disabling the vcm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts