Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Pilot. 99,000 miles. Recently installed VMTuner.

My father with a 2012 Odyssey and 120k just threw a code, Dealer says needs new rings.

Got me to thinking - how do I know how much damage my engine has? My 8 year extended warranty per the lawsuit is up in April 2019. Should I ditch this car after that? Or is this not that big of a deal?

I change the oil per the MM, which ends up being every 8000 miles give or take. Use Mobil 1 EP, at least since we bought it with 50k miles. We consume around 1/2 quart in between oil changes (8k miles) before the VCMTuner.

My question really is - is there any way I can evaluate how much damage is done to this engine, or premature wear? Will a simple compression test show it? Will a dealer do the ring repair based on their own testing, or do they need the codes thrown before they will consider it?

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has never fouled a plug or thrown a code.

Still has the factory spark plugs in there. My spark plug schedule says this is part of the B14 code schedule - which is 105k.

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm actually okay with adding oil for the time being because I don't foresee me keeping the vehicle more than for a few more months. But until I trade it in, if the issue reoccurs, is it okay to just install new plugs in 1-4 and keep on rolling? My only concern would be if the engine craps and I'll be out ~$3K before I'm ready to get a new vehicle.
Not sure I have ever heard of an engine crapping out completely because of this issue.

Should be fine to install new plugs in 1-4 and roll on... or just replace the plug throwing the actual code. Or, just swap the bad plug with one from 5 or 6, and clean the fouled plug up with some brake cleaner before reinstalling it.

If you would be willing to pay for plugs.... I'd just buy the VCM disable adapter, then remove it right before sale/trade-in, and sell it for a small loss. Seems like that would be a lot easier than messing with plugs.

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So I literally just purchased a 2011 Honda Pilot EX with 82000 miles.

I am experiencing slight vibration/shudder between 50-65mph, but have not noticed whether the eco light has been on yet.

Will I still be covered under the VCM lawsuit warranty? Should I take it there regardless? The car came with an aftermarket warranty for 90 days, like some dealers do, with $100 deductible. Should I still take it to Honda, even if it is not covered under the VCM warranty to get it checked/updated?
It all comes down to when your vehicle delivery happened. If late 2011, then it would still be covered. The extended warranty program is 8 years. If you aren't throwing a code, there is nothing to do.... no warranty work would be provided.

What I would do?

1. Change your spark plugs right now using the correct NGK plugs.
2. Install a VCM disable device (VCMTuner, VCMuzzler, etc.)
3. Change your transmission fluid right now with Honda DW1, and then change it two more times with each subsequent oil change.

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Looks like I got the code again, P0301, at 153,623 miles. Is the number 1 cylinder the left most one on the front when you are facing the engine? Or is it the back left most one? I googled for the diagram, but got some firing order ones.

If you don't plan on keeping it forever, and refuse to spend the money on the VCM disable, I'd swap plug #1 with #5 or #6, as those cylinders do not participate in VCM. Provided #1 doesnt have a cracked insulator. Clean it up with some brake cleaner/carb cleaner.

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I only use NGK 7751 {#ILZKR7B11} Laser Iridium which are $8.34 each at RockAuto. I wont use anything else.

But I bet swapping plugs between #5 and #6 will get you to the end of the year.

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
BTW, my CEL went away this morning. I guess it needed sometime to clear the Emissions message after some driving.
In the future - to clear your codes - pull the battery connection for 10 minutes. This will drain the ECM of power and reset it. It will take a while to drive it before all sensors enter a ready status, but this is a poor mans way to clear codes.

The best way is to buy a $20 OBDII code reader on Amazon that connects to your phone. Anyone who is willing to work on modern vehicles needs one.

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Bought a 2013 Pilot with 90k - 2 month later nothing but problems - misfire on spark plug 3 over and over again... I just found out about the TSB related to this issue.. not sure what to do? :(
If you aren't covered under warranty:

1. Buy and install VCMTUNER or similar VCM disabler.
2. Change your spark plugs to new ones of the correct NGK or Denso model/type, taking care not to buy counterfeit ones from Amazon/Ebay.
3. Monitor your oil consumption and spark plug fouling for the next 10k miles.

Then decide what to do. It is quite possible that disabling VCM will provide an acceptable level of spark plug life and oil consumption.

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Interesting. I am wishing I would have started some blackstone testing. I think I will do that on my next oil change.

My plugs were changed at 99k miles, and installed VCMTuner at that time, 11/2018.

Fast forward to now, a year later, 111k miles. Still have never thrown a code for cylinder misfire. I did notice our oil consumption seems up, it was a quart low on this oil change, and the maintenance minder triggered sooner than previous oil changes...... closer to 5000 miles. Previous oil changes tripped in the 6000-8000 mile range. No idea why.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.