Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so it is a "luxury" SUV, but it has to compete somewhat for Pilot buyers attention. I saw a new commercial for it today claiming a 7700# towing capacity.

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's not too bad looking but for the $45k-$50+K range I can't do it. Well, heck my Pilot is my BMW!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
beowulf777 said:
Okay so it is a "luxury" SUV, but it has to compete somewhat for Pilot buyers attention. I saw a new commercial for it today claiming a 7700# towing capacity.
I know VW calls it "luxury" but since when is VW a luxury brand.... (from the folks who make the luxury VW golf)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Like it but...

I saw one on the lot today and like the way it looks. It sure looks small for the price and I still question VW's quality.

But I do like it....

Don

·
Registered
305 Posts
i only like the power and towing capacity (not that I tow, but it tells me something about the strength of the car).

price is way out there, IMO.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Interesting advertising for this thing, with a picture of a "Pass it" stuck in a creek in one panel, and a "Torn Rag" fjording a creek in the next. Who names these things for the North American market?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Luxury"

Originally posted by ramirami -
I know VW calls it "luxury" but since when is VW a luxury brand.... (from the folks who make the luxury VW golf)
Point taken. But...

VW seems to be trying to upgrade its image and compete in the luxury market. With the Touareg and the Phaeton.

Although based on the look of the Phaeton, is it just a bigger than Passat big Jetta?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Price out there?

I went and saw the V6 model (On a Sunday) with the nav and price was $40.5K Thats right there with the MDX and let me tell you the interior of this SUV is like the one out of an Audi A8, very luxurious and sharp with real wood. I really like it, one thing that I don't like is MPG ratings 14-18mpg thats really low. BTW the V8 model starts @ 40K even, thats not bad either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having driven a Taureg and sat in a Phaeton, I can assure you that VW knows what it is doing when it comes to building these two cars. In my brief test drive, I came away impressed with the feeling of quality and seat of the pants performance. According to reviews I have read, it also has the stones for offroading, a rare commodity in and SUV these days.

While I didn't drive the Phaeton, it seemed as luxurious and solid as any BMW or Merc and certainly much more substantial than a Lexus or Infinity.

Of course, what VW will have trouble dealing with is the image thing. Most American luxury car buyers make purchases based on status, regardless of how good the car is. Look at how people slam Jag for being owned by Ford, despite the fact that Jag quality and reliability have improved ten fold with their new ownership. Ever had an electrical problem in a pre-Ford Jag? Not a good thing.

Of course, I don't have 40 to 50 k to blow on an SUV and wouldn't do it if I did, which is why my local Honda dealer is holding my deposit on a silver Pilot EX :2:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Re: Re: How about the Volkswagen Touareg?

ramirami said:

Honda split into Honda and Acura in North American. But rest of world still seeing just one Honda. MDX is an Honda at places else than here. If you call MDX luxury(from folks who make luxury Civic), you shouldn't have problem see how luxury a VW can be.:eek:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How about the Volkswagen Touareg?

timchen said:

Honda split into Honda and Acura in North American. But rest of world still seeing just one Honda. MDX is an Honda at places else than here. If you call MDX luxury(from folks who make luxury Civic), you shouldn't have problem see how luxury a VW can be.:eek:
But Volkwagen already has Audi as its luxury brand. VW's branding strategy seems to be getting somewhat confused.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by shutrbug -
But Volkwagen already has Audi as its luxury brand. VW's branding strategy seems to be getting somewhat confused.
This is a good point. Honda may be able to get away with not separating out its luxury vehicles in other markets, but for some reason they thought it would not work in USA. I believe they are right. If I remember correctly they were the first Japanese manufacturer to come out with a luxury brand.

The others quickly follow suite except Mazda. They came out with cars they claimed were luxury (929, millenia, etc.) and made an advertising campaign around how much you get when a manufacturer doesn't have to pay for a luxury division. Well today does anyone consider anything from Mazda luxury? In fact I don't think Mazda even tries anymore to compete on luxury. They went to the terribly annoying ZOOM ZOOM!

So is it just because Mazda screwed it up or will it fail for any that try it?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: Like it but...

dandbtucker said:
I saw one on the lot today and like the way it looks. It sure looks small for the price and I still question VW's quality.

But I do like it....

Don
I kinda like it at first glance. But at $45-50 K, unless it's able to serve me coffee in bed every morning, it's out of the question.....:headshak:

·
Registered
330 Posts
beowulf777 said:

The others quickly follow suite except Mazda. They came out with cars they claimed were luxury (929, millenia, etc.) and made an advertising campaign around how much you get when a manufacturer doesn't have to pay for a luxury division. Well today does anyone consider anything from Mazda luxury? In fact I don't think Mazda even tries anymore to compete on luxury. They went to the terribly annoying ZOOM ZOOM!

So is it just because Mazda screwed it up or will it fail for any that try it?
I thought Mazda was going to come out with a luxury brand with the 929 or Millennia as the flagship, but their financial woes caused them to scrap those plans. I looked at the Millennia a couple of years ago, and thought it was pretty nice, but the lack of AWD made it impractical for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I Like the Toureg better than the Cayenne... for how it looks.

Also I think VW/ Porsche did good by making an SUV that handles like a sports car on the road, looks good both inside and out, and for my favorite reason... they designed them to be really good offroad. It's got 3 different locking differentials that can be controlled manually from inside & adjustable height suspension to raise it up for obstacles.

Being that the Cayenne is pretty much the same underneath as the VW (except for the engine)... Porsche claims that their SUV can take on the famed RUbicon trail with the factory installed offroad package.

IMHO i dont think it would be soo hard for Honda to do the same with the Pilot... so that it loses its minivan image. The Pilot has a great engine, and a very stiff frame & the VTM-4 acts like a locking differential. Add two more locking differentials, lowrange, and ride height adjustment would not be hard to do for Honda... and most important to change the minivan tires to something tougher looking.

·
Registered
305 Posts
pricing

OK, so maybe the pricing isn't as far 'OUT THERE' as I originally thought (thought i heard it started at like $42K). But, starting at $35K and change, you get a bit less power than the Pilot and, of course, 1 less row of seats, plus vinyl interior. In exchange for the almost $5K premium over a Pilot EXL you get heated seats, a sunroof, 6-speed tranny, and a few other gadgets.

maybe its just me, but i don't think its worth it. of course, i haven't driven it.

I don't compare it to an Acura because its not an Audi. I know that's maybe not fair, but, ya know what, these manufacturers were the ones who started this whole luxury vs. standard nameplate game, so they have to lie in those beds now. VW does not equal Acura. VW equals Honda (in the loosest comparison, of course).

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
But more importantly, how do you pronounce it? :D I've only seen the commercial once, and it seemed like it was "tour egg." Anyone?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Car and Driver taught me phoenetically "TWAH-REG"
I'd guess the commercial would have it right, over the mag.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Car and Driver taught me phoenetically "TWAH-REG"
I'd guess the commercial would have it right, over the mag.
Assuming I heard the commercial right, that is. ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts