Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved that "Did You Know" thread - very informative.

Not trying to make waves or anything, but I thought I'd start a thread in the opposite direction (also for the benefit of potential buyers). Not so much serious problems with the car, but more like little things that bug me or things I wished Honda would change or offer...

Here are a couple:

No driver's seat Memory!

No Sunroof

Passenger seat manual operation only

You can't view Temperature and (either) Trip Meter simultaneously

Wimpy spare

NAV system not as up to date as I had hoped

NAV system often gives directions too late

Seat thigh support could be longer (extend further forward), especially in 2nd and 3rd rows

"Black Hole" on either side of center console

No illumination for center console

No AC controls on the steering wheel

No "Miles remaining" gauge (just how many gallons are remaining when the Fuel light comes on?)

Sharp "edges" (from the stitching) where my thumbs often rest on the inside of the steering wheel

Sagging seats

No mat coverage for driver left foot rest

No "sun visor" for NAV display

Haven't had any luck yet finding seat covers (due to side airbags)

I guess that's it for now... (putting on nomex suit)

·
Registered
88 Posts
For your seat covers, try Wet Okole at
http://www.wetokole.net/

The picture of the Pilot seatcovers on their website is for an LX without side air bags. I do believe that their EX seatcovers do have openings for the side air bags.

Give them a try!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really! Thanks Supo!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would like an adjustable second row seat (like the 02 & 03 CR-V) to make more room for the third row seats. :4:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree - these are exactly the kinds of things that should be worked out by the time 2005 models are made. I wouldn't expect too many things to be fixed for 2004......

Regarding the seatcovers for models with side airbags:

I would NEVER put anything over a seat with the side airbags. Do you really think an aftermarket seat cover vendor spent any time OR money placing their covers over seats with side airbags and then deploying them to see if everything worked out O.K.?

Imagine what the official response from the Honda engineers might be. My guess is "Don't do it".

Even if the "holes" were initially aligned with the airbag deployment seam, I bet over time that things will shift. Think of what would happen if the airbag was hindered by the seat cover and ended up being deflected and deployed between the seat cover and the seat back where someone's back was resting. It could launch them into the dash. Shudder......

IMO, it's best to err on the side of conservatism.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
No AC controls on the steering wheel
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why would you want this and have you ever seen it in any vehicle?

Matt

·
Registered
45 Posts
~

After having driven 500 miles Sunday, most of it on heavily-traveled interstate 10 and 17 in Aridzona, I have come up with a nit for my Pilot. The cruise control lags by a couple of miles per hour when climbing hills. It will drop speed before stomping the accelerator and downshifting. It then speeds back up to the setspeed. Makes passing with vehicles close to same speed annoying.

Maybe I'm spoiled by my VW Passat, but it stays right on speed up the steepest passes. It's a different animal, though, lighter, turbo stick shift with torque peak ~2000 RPM.

On the other hand, when I got to the dirt roads on Mingus Mountain, up above Jerome, the Pilot went places the Passat would have cried "Uncle" as it lost parts off of its undercarriage. So I'm still a happy Piloter.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i first want to address the side airbag thing. How strong do you think these seat covers are?? Put it this way, if they can't tear right through the seam of a seat cover, then they are not going to help you if someone slams into your door at 65 mph anyway.

now for the nitpicks:
i fixed the sunroof issue. :)

no telescoping steering wheel
buttons on steering wheel don't light up

hmmm... i got nothing else aside from some others that have been mentioned. Really love this vehicle!

·
Registered
112 Posts
After having driven 500 miles Sunday, most of it on heavily-traveled interstate 10 and 17 in Aridzona, I have come up with a nit for my Pilot. The cruise control lags by a couple of miles per hour when climbing hills. It will drop speed before stomping the accelerator and downshifting. It then speeds back up to the setspeed. Makes passing with vehicles close to same speed annoying.
RLumpy,
Maybe you should have your cruise control operation checked out. I've actually marvelled at the precision with which my Pilot's cruise control stays on speed. And I'm in western Pennsylvania...the land of constant ups and downs.

Sounds like yours is operating like that on a Villager I had...really irritating.

·
Registered
178 Posts
side airbags.....

"Put it this way, if they can't tear right through the seam of a seat cover, then they are not going to help you if someone slams into your door at 65 mph anyway."

We don't know that for sure, do we?

Why do you think the airbag system is supposed to shut off if someone isn't sitting properly in the seat - to protect the person - because the airbag will behave unexpectedly if there is something in the way, possibly causing injury.

I guess what I'm saying is that nobody knows how these things will behave in an accident - so why take a chance based on assumptions?

I guess this is az discussion that belongs in another thread.......

·
Registered
123 Posts
m-mmeyer said:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why would you want this and have you ever seen it in any vehicle?

Matt
Volkswagen toureg has it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Qbrozen said:
i first want to address the side airbag thing. How strong do you think these seat covers are?? Put it this way, if they can't tear right through the seam of a seat cover, then they are not going to help you if someone slams into your door at 65 mph anyway...
The seam where the side air bag deploys is probably not stitched the same way as the rest of the seat. Putting the wrong seat cover over the side air bag may delay the deployment or cause it to deploy at the wrong angle/position (milliseconds count in a crash).

If you get t-boned in the driver's door by someone going 65mph, you're probably toast anyway. I don't know if the door and airbag can redirect that much acceleration.

·
Registered
305 Posts
idloveaguinness

the reason they shut off with someone in the way is because the damned thing will really hurt you. that is how powerful it is. It has nothing to do with it behaving unexpectedly. It will behave exactly as intended. But if you are not sitting properly when it happens, you could get seriously hurt.

my point is, if that bag can't rip through a stitch that i can rip with my bare hands, then its not strong enough to protect you in a crash, so its pointless anyway. I am fully confident an airbag will rip right through a silly seat cover.

i do, however, agree with the poster who pointed out that we're talking about milliseconds. Any kind of delay, no matter how miniscule, could be a problem.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
More Nit Picks

• Rear hatch window should open independent of the hatch
  • AT shifter that doesn't encroach on knee room when shifted to "1"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Qbrozen....

I understand what you're saying...and it makes sense. If the airbag isn't strong enough to get through a weak seam, how is it going to save a person in a crash?

I guess this just would make me nervous, so I'm looking to poke holes in the idea - it's just in my nature.

How about this angle:

How tightly is the seat cover on the seat? What I mean is this - would the deploying airbag push/stretch the cover off the seat before the seam broke, or would the cover stay where where it is and the seam just give way as you expect?

At any rate, before putting a cover on a seat in my car (If I had cloth seats), I would have to see a test video......

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: ~

RLumpy said:
After having driven 500 miles Sunday, most of it on heavily-traveled interstate 10 and 17 in Aridzona, I have come up with a nit for my Pilot. .. So I'm still a happy Piloter.
RLumpy, Where are you in Tucson? We're here, too!

·
Registered
483 Posts
More than a nit

This to me is more than a "nit" but I'll post it here anyway.

I took my first long drive ( 200 miles ) last weekend and found the seats very uncomfortable after a while. In fact I was very disappointed in how hard they felt after about an hour of driving.

Honda, imo has to luck at the whole seat picture ( sagging seat issue, threads coming out of the holes in the seat cushion and the firmness of the seats ) for vehicles built in the future. :3:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: More Nit Picks
Originally posted by sfhondapilot

Rear hatch window should open independent of the hatch

This is my only serious complaint about the Pilot. Most SUVs I've seen have a rear window that opens. On my Explorer I found the window much more convenient that opening the whole door.

I also think the Pilot should've come with crossbars. Again something that most SUVs already have if they have a roof rack. At least this can be taken care of with aftermarket products.

I do love my Pilot. I'd been putting off buying a new SUV to replace my 93 Explorer Sport for a few years. I'm glad I waited long enough to where the Pilot was available. Sometimes procrastination pays off.

·
Registered
305 Posts
idloveaguinness

now that's a good point I hadn't thought of. The airbag moves the seat cover (i.e., stretches it) and the seat cover pushes you aside or affects the crash dynamics as it relates to you in any way. That could definitely be a problem.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts