Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2015 Touring model several months ago. It had 61k miles on it. I’ve never driven one before this one. I noticed after putting some miles on it that the rear shocks were shot. After replacing them the ride was much smoother. my question is how should a Pilot ride? Should it ride as smooth as a sedan or more like a lightweight truck since it is an SUV. How should it handle bumps and not so good roads? Mine seems to be silky smooth on nice roads but more truck like when the going gets rough. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Our '15 rides pretty well, much more similar to one of my dad's trucks than our Sonata. The center of gravity is so high and there is so much mass for the suspension to control. I also feel that the 2nd gen suspension is designed to be a little "flexier" for light off roading which causes some slight pogoing on bumpy roads. I never had any issue with it until we bought our '14 Traverse, a class competitive vehicle with more mass and less intention of going off road. The Traverse is flatter through the turns and much more controlled over bumps but smoother at the same time.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
Pilots, like the Passports are built on the Ridgeline truck frame. They ride like a truck, especially the top tiers of the Passport. The Odyssey, also built on he Ridgeline frame is smoother as the suspension is designed to be smoother. Gotta keep them Soccer Mom's happy.

Personally if I wanted the ride of a Cadillac I would have bought a Cadillac, but then how often have you seen a Cadillac doing this?

·
Registered
657 Posts
For a big SUV, the Pilot rides great. Certain bumps cause some interior rattles but nothing too bad. Remember that tires greatly influence ride quality.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
When I first got it, I was impressed with the ride quality and especially the lack of body roll. Got it home and its first service, and saw the relatively large anti-roll bars and was even more impressed. It's definitely a smooth-roads car, with shocks selected for 'sharing' side-to-side with the large anti-roll bars. If I were serious about off-roading it would get smaller bars and different shocks as an early mod, along with an inch or so of extra spring length to add some ground clearance.

For us anyway, we use it as a bus/limo/hauler, and it's great for that. The Ody offers easier passenger in and out and more cargo room, but I have the Pilot and so far it's doing what I ask without any complaints.

For the first five years of college, I drove a couple Lotus Europas as daily ride in the Los Angeles basin. No need to worry about carrying extra friends along. Cabin compact enough that a date's purse would go in the forward bin because not enough room inside. Pilot is the opposite end of that same spectrum. Plus it has heat and AC!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts