Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"What's new for 2004:
* Adjustable second-row seating with improved access to third row
* New trumpet horn
* Parking-brake and front seat-belt warning chimes
* Heated front seats (EX with Leather)
* Heated dual power mirrors (EX with Leather)
* Updated DVD navigation software for better coverage of rural areas (EX with Leather and Navigation)
* Additional headphone jack (EX with Leather)
* NEW COLOR: Midnight Blue Pearl with Gray interior"

That new horn would be nice. I wonder if you could just quickly swap out the old one with a 2004, or if there's a good aftermarket horn. The 2003 horn is too chirpy for my taste. It's always slightly annoying when I arm the alarm and hear the giant roadrunner chrip.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Horns

Fiam makes a decent aftermarket horn that is available at most any auto-parts store. Many motorcycle riders choose these as they are compact enough to fit in smaller spaces. Easy to install and wire up!

HTH
:)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree, the Pilot horn is wimpy.:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Horn Sucks!

Anyone out there know whether the horn on the MDX is better than the Pilot's sqeaky toy horn? If so, will it fit the Pilot?

Thanks & regards,
:roadtrip: :needpics:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
a2Pilot said:
I agree, the Pilot horn is wimpy.:eek:
I know it's not a big deal, but yikes- yes it is! I posted this in another thread, (I can never remember where) That my sister and I were setting off our panic alarms to see if we could identify our "babies cries" and to my surprise, my Pilot sounded wimpier than her little '01 Civic.
Oh well. Just an observation. I want my horn to say

"GET THE H3## OUT OF MY WAY" when I need it, not

"errr..ummm..pardon..ummm excuse me please":2:

dang, and I thought I was:cool:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Horn Sucks!

exeat said:
Anyone out there know whether the horn on the MDX is better than the Pilot's sqeaky toy horn? If so, will it fit the Pilot?

Thanks & regards,
:roadtrip: :needpics:
Yes, much better.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
exeat said:
Hey N_Jay,

Do you know if the MDX horn will fit the Pilot?
Almost any horn will fit almost any car.

I would not spend the $$ on an OEM horn (even an MDX). Go get a good Fiamm or Hella horn set.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
exeat said:
N_Jay - have you installed aftermarket horns in your Pilot? Do you have any tips on wiring?
Most horns are grounded by their mounting bolt, and have one lead which spplieds 12V from the horn relay. This is a Blue/Red wire on the pilot.
I have not looked, but bet the factory horn has blade connector much like most aftermarket horns.
Wire the new horn exactly as the original should be fine.

For air horns you will ground the negative wire from the air pump, and hook the horn hot wire to the positive connection. The pump can be mounted where ever convieniant, but close to the old horn location makes the wiring easiest.

Have not done the Pilot or CR-V yet. Have a set of Fiamm air hoorns to go on the CR-V, (have to check where on the "ToDo" list they are now) and if the wife likes the sound will put a set on the Pilot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The OEM horn is a waste of energy and time, so I am installing a pair of FIAMM air horns.

I have a set in my mustang and it works wonders and rather loud!

My wife had a 1994 Acura Integra with the little beep horn that told everyone that 'I have a woosy horn!'. I then installed the FIAMM air horns in the grill area but the road grim would clog the compressor inlet so I then installed these german hella horn (get the hella outta my waya!!!) - See link below.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=horn

I never had a problem using the horn after that or breaking a horn or clogging the compressor on that car.

I am in the process of installing the FIAMM(?) dual air horns on the Pilot. I have the horns mounted. I have the bolt for the compressor, but I have to find a suitable mounting area. Then to figure the power and grounding areas. I am only 5'7", so climbing in to the pilot engine area is sometimes challenging!!

I found the horns at the link below:

http://www.7453217467431.com/affiliate/pepboys/home.jsp?3=profit&affID=39901&bmUID=1063224766375

then enter horns at on the left side, near the middle and there are 5 pages of horns....

Aftermarket horns are a must as there are stereo systems that prohibit individuals from paying attention to the road when merging or even looking over their shoulder....

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
ben916 said:
The OEM horn is a waste of energy and time, so I am installing a pair of FIAMM air horns.

I have a set in my mustang and it works wonders and rather loud!

My wife had a 1994 Acura Integra with the little beep horn that told everyone that 'I have a woosy horn!'. I then installed the FIAMM air horns in the grill area but the road grim would clog the compressor inlet so I then installed these german hella horn (get the hella outta my waya!!!) - See link below.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=horn

I never had a problem using the horn after that or breaking a horn or clogging the compressor on that car.

I am in the process of installing the FIAMM(?) dual air horns on the Pilot. I have the horns mounted. I have the bolt for the compressor, but I have to find a suitable mounting area. Then to figure the power and grounding areas. I am only 5'7", so climbing in to the pilot engine area is sometimes challenging!!

I found the horns at the link below:

http://www.7453217467431.com/affiliate/pepboys/home.jsp?3=profit&affID=39901&bmUID=1063224766375

then enter horns at on the left side, near the middle and there are 5 pages of horns....

Aftermarket horns are a must as there are stereo systems that prohibit individuals from paying attention to the road when merging or even looking over their shoulder....
Try here:
http://store.yahoo.com/classicgarage/accessories-hella-lights-hella-accessories-hella-air-horns.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Horns

Its funny how this topic suddenly appear when I am seriously thinking of changing my OEM horn.

I have always been a fan of the Bosch horns that came with the older Mercedes (80s). I would describe the sound as "BING-BING", but really loud. Does anybody know where I can get those and how much?

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2004 Pilot horn sounds great! No beep, beep, ummm, excuse me... Just a good old-fashioned HONK!!!!!, GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!! horn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone done a retrofit of the 2004 Pilot horn onto the 2003 Pilot. If so, I would appreciate cost and ease (or difficulty) of installation.

Thanks,
Exeat

·
Registered
12 Posts
:3:

That's great for the 2004 model, but the 2003 horn still sucks. I'm going to ask the dealer the next time I bring the car in to change the horn.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I agree, had to use the horn, if that's what you want to call it the other day. Big 18 wheeler was so close, well let's say I could have checked his tire pressure for him. I was embarrassed sounding that horn. Oh well, definitely time to change. I don't like the sound of the air horns, but will be looking into something like the Hella horns. Please continue to post your horn swaps.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
exeat said:
Has anyone done a retrofit of the 2004 Pilot horn onto the 2003 Pilot. If so, I would appreciate cost and ease (or difficulty) of installation.

Thanks,
Exeat
I order the 2004 horns for my 2003 Pilot today ($ 30.00 including shipping). I will post feedback & instructions once they come in and I install them. It should be a simple replacement issue (one bolt mounts & grounds each horn), but according to the 2003 Service Manual, I will have to remove the front bumper first.

The OEM Part #'s for the 2004 horns are 38100-S9V-A01 & 38150-S9V-A01.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Steve-

Where did you order the horns from? I am looking forward to reading about how the installation went.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts