Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Horn Replacement

19902 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  longhairmike74
I want to replace the OEM horn with a Bosch Horn. Does anyone here already replace their horns? Is it a DIY job? thank you
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
What's the differences between the OEM horn and the one you want to change to?

· Registered
72 Posts
Wolo "Bad Boy" Air Horn. Installs in minutes, hooked it up with the factory horn wires. I use both at the same time. :cool:

· Registered
1,349 Posts
aaronmp2315 said:
I want to replace the OEM horn with a Bosch Horn. Does anyone here already replace their horns? Is it a DIY job? thank you
It's easy to do. It won't be plug-n-play but you can cut the existing connectors off and solder in the new horns or use crimp connectors - just make sure you use a good crimp tool (Channel Lock, Klein, Snap-On, etc.).

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you use a relay on your aftermarket horns? because somebody told me that i need to use a relay on this bosch horns. the horns are located where? do i have to remove the bumber to get access to them? thank you for the pepolies i do really appreciate them.

· Registered
757 Posts

· Registered
1,349 Posts
aaronmp2315 said:
did you use a relay on your aftermarket horns? because somebody told me that i need to use a relay on this bosch horns. the horns are located where? do i have to remove the bumber to get access to them? thank you for the pepolies i do really appreciate them.
Depends on the current draw of the horns. The aftermarket horns I installed in my Integra were made by Hella and did not require a relay since the current draw was close to stock.

· Registered
279 Posts
Finally got around to getting a Wolo Bad Boy horn for my Pilot yesterday. Harbor Freight put them on sale for $35... $10 cheaper than usual. Install was pretty easy, but of course, I took off the grille and bumper. I used a relay because the Bad Boy pulls 15A and the stock relay is sized for 6A--call me overcautious. Plus, it was in the package with the horn. I used a tap on the stock horn wire, so I didn't have to cut anything, and I can reconnect the stock horns anytime. I'm going to try that just to see what it sounds like running all 3 horns. Got that idea from Sandcrab just now. It's a pretty loud horn with a startling tone. Just like I want. Attached is a pic I took after install. I annotated it just for fun. The horn and relay are mounted next to the stock horn on the passenger side. Any questions, let me know....

EDIT: I hooked up all the horns. The new one and the stock ones. The sound that comes from the car now is, in a word: UNHOLY.

Attachments

· Registered
297 Posts
RSeery said:
Finally got around to getting a Wolo Bad Boy horn for my Pilot yesterday. Harbor Freight put them on sale for $35... $10 cheaper than usual. Install was pretty easy, but of course, I took off the grille and bumper. I used a relay because the Bad Boy pulls 15A and the stock relay is sized for 6A--call me overcautious. Plus, it was in the package with the horn. I used a tap on the stock horn wire, so I didn't have to cut anything, and I can reconnect the stock horns anytime. I'm going to try that just to see what it sounds like running all 3 horns. Got that idea from Sandcrab just now. It's a pretty loud horn with a startling tone. Just like I want. Attached is a pic I took after install. I annotated it just for fun. The horn and relay are mounted next to the stock horn on the passenger side. Any questions, let me know....
wolo bad boy horn available here: http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx?partfamilyid=1722&q=Bad+Boy+horn
have not tried it, just providing a link.

· Registered
486 Posts
I have a set of '04 horns, brand new in the box, if anyone wants to change their '03 'beep-beep' to the later years 'blat-blat'. (or something like that)
PM me if interested.

· Registered
113 Posts
Check your PM

:D

· Registered
17 Posts
So, it looks like you need to remove the bumper to replace the horn? I have a 2016 Pilot. I've replaced horns in other vehicles before, never had to remove the bumper to do so!

Not looking to shatter any windows, but the stock horn is pretty anemic. I noticed it the other day when someone entered the freeway and then proceeded to drive across both lanes and nearly crashed into me, all without noticing or batting and eye. Jeezus. Thankfully I noticed their bizarre driving and veered into the shoulder and avoided a crash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts