Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been fond of using the cassette adapter, but I regularly use it in my '93 Cherokee... and my MP3's sound great.

My wife has tried to talk me into doing the same in our (her) Pilot. I just cannot force myself to do it. So the PIE converter looks perfect for me, but can anyone tell me...

• How easy is it to get to the plugs behind the radio? To what degree do I have to the rip dash/center console out?

• Once it is hooked up, how does the head unit know when to use the signal from the built in cd player, as opposed to the audio signal from the portable? Does the CD/CD CHANGER button on the head unit function as the toggle I need?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Interface

The PIE HON-AUX or Blitzsafe HONDA/AUX DMX Interface will plug directly into the rear of the Head Unit CD Changer Plug (14-pin slot). The device connected to the RCA Plugs will be controlled by the CD Changer function of the Head Unit when it is selected by presssing the CD/CD Changer Button.

Personally, I would spend a little extra money and get the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMXV.1D interface. This is a dual interface which does exactly the same as the other 2 + you can connect an Alpine CD Changer to later also. You would use both devices with the CD Changer selected on the Head Unit. If you are listening to the Changer and want to listen to what is connected to the RCA Plugs (IPOD, etc.) you would just press the + then - button on the Head Unit quickly and it would change the source from the Changer to the RCA Plug device...and vice versa.

I chose to install the Blitzsafe (HONDA/XM DMX PIO.1D) dual interface cable. It allows me to toggle between my Alpine CHA-S634 Changer and XM on my Head Unit.

The interface adapter has all the necessary plugs for power and connectivity for the Pioneer 903XM unit (IP-Bus Out cable and Power supply cable) as well as a plug for an Alpine CD Changer. The only additional plugs used are the ones coming from the XM antenna (I would recommend the Sony antenna) and the controller unit supplied with the Tuner.

All plugs are included for power and function, and you can toggle between the CD and either the Changer or XM Radio using the CD/CD Changer Function. If you want to go from the CD Changer to the XM or vice versa, you press the track up then track down very quickly.

There is no need for Modulation.

The Display for the Head Unit reads 1-99 CD Changer when the XM is selected. Selecting the channels for XM is still done by the supplied Pioneer XM remote display.

Installing an interface cable to the Head Unit is pretty simple. Remove the faceplate carefully...make sure you dont break it or scratch the dash. Remove the 4 Head Unit Screws with a Phillips screwdriver and plug in the interface cable. Drop the other end of the interface behind the center console and replace the Head Unit. You should be able to reach the cable by removing the Driver's Center Console Lower Cover and applying RCA extensions or CD Changer cables.
This link will give you detailed Head Unit Removal Instructions!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info... thanks Steve!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Thanks

I know how confusing it can be dealing with electronics. Just trying to save you a big headache and give you options!

Good Luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Question about Blitzsafe

Hi there,

Your detail description of the Blitzsafe adapter is very helpful. I've just purchased a Dension Hard Disk based MP3 Player and looking to install the unit myself. I do have one question thought, does the Blitzsafe adapter provides 12V power to plug into the MP3 unit? Thanks for your help.

Jackson

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Question about Blitzsafe

jacksonn298 said:
Hi there,

Your detail description of the Blitzsafe adapter is very helpful. I've just purchased a Dension Hard Disk based MP3 Player and looking to install the unit myself. I do have one question thought, does the Blitzsafe adapter provides 12V power to plug into the MP3 unit? Thanks for your help.

Jackson
I know that the power, ground, etc. can be integrated into the Blitzsafe adapter (It is on the Pioneer XM side of my dual adapter). I would call Blitzsafe, tell them what kind of connector is used for the power and ask them if they can integrate it into the adapter. If they can not integrate the power, you may have to hardwire the power ground, etc. I assume that the audio out uses RCA plugs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
HI there,

Thanks for the info. Yes the unit does have RCA output. Since I won't be controlling the MP3 unit thru the head unit, all I really need is just an AUX input. Do I still need Blitzsafe? Is there any adapter that just gives you AUX input? Thanks

Jackson

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any adapter that just gives you AUX input?
I installed the PIE HON-AUX a couple of week's back. Its purpose is to provide auxiliary input through RCA's... nothing else. It works great.

I purchased it online from LogJam Electronics:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehonaux.html

I would recommend that you call local car audio installers; you may be able to get a lower price through them. Although installation is relatively simple, it is a bit tricky getting the trim plate off around the radio without scratching the dash and/or faceplate. Also, make sure you are careful running the wire not to obstruct the back of the radio (there's not much room back there). That way, the front of the radio will sit flush with the trim when you put everything back together.

Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll call an auto installer to find out.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
jacksonn298 said:
HI there,

Thanks for the info. Yes the unit does have RCA output. Since I won't be controlling the MP3 unit thru the head unit, all I really need is just an AUX input. Do I still need Blitzsafe? Is there any adapter that just gives you AUX input? Thanks

Jackson
The Blitzsafe HONDA/AUX DMX , the PIE HON-AUX or the Ventura Technology VT-HONXMAUX-02 have only the RCA plugs on the interface. These interfaces will allow the audio output of your device to be integrated with the Pilot OEM Head Unit.

·
Registered
804 Posts
SteveLuman said:

The Blitzsafe HONDA/AUX DMX , the PIE HON-AUX or the Ventura Technology VT-HONXMAUX-02 have only the RCA plugs on the interface. These interfaces will allow the audio output of your device to be integrated with the Pilot OEM Head Unit.
Steve, I think your last link got cut off. And just to clarify, the Honda head unit requires a 14-pin connector, right?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ferdball said:

Steve, I think your last link got cut off. And just to clarify, the Honda head unit requires a 14-pin connector, right?
Correct, the CD Changer input on the Head Unit is a 14-pin socket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

I have an iPod and have ordered the PIE cable.

Is it necessary to use a cigarette lighter type battery charger when listening to my iPod while connected directly the head unit?

I'm hoping the iPod will get its power from the head unit...(?)

tia, Bob

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
BobCarMX5 said:
Hi all,

I have an iPod and have ordered the PIE cable.

Is it necessary to use a cigarette lighter type battery charger when listening to my iPod while connected directly the head unit?

I'm hoping the iPod will get its power from the head unit...(?)

tia, Bob
The PIE Hon/AUX does not supply a power feed...only RCA plugs for Audio input. You will have to rely on the iPod batteries or use the AC adapter cable + an inverter. There should be a power cord available to plug into the cigarette lighter power source. I'm just not that familiar with the power cords.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Steve,

Thanks.
I've ordered my car charger !

Thanks again,
Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
iPod, P.I.E. cable update:

My iPod arrived Monday (about the coolest thing there ever was) and my P.I.E adapter cable arrived yesterday.

I removed the head unit and attached the P.I.E. adapter cable to the back of it and stealthy ran the wire (with a 6' RCA to mini plug extension) behind the driver's side console cover and up into the big box on the console that has the power source inside of it. Had to drill one small hole in the bottom corner to pull mini plug through. Everything is hidden in the console.

Works like a charm.

I've ordered a power adapter from Griffith which will be here Monday.

After that, I'll be able to have a power cord and the head unit attached to the iPod's dock and will be ready for trip with uninterrupted music -- 4000+ mp3s and AACs.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts