Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 pilot Anny one seen ur hood shakeing wen going 75 on the highway.
Have honda figure out wat they gonna do about that . Or we have to fix our self
To me its a scary sight to see dont no if my hood gonna pop up caused an accident
Or get sum one killed .or is it jusbmy car that has that problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Like any car I'd make sure the rubber supports are in place and that the lock mechanism for the actual hood release is not loose or bent from an accident and therefore never working. There should not be any play once the hood is locked down. Most if not all cars have dual lock. You release the safety lock from inside the car and the hood pops up 1-2 inches. Then you move the lever from the grill area to unlatch the hood to be able to lift the hood. I hope your not driving with only the safety latch holding the hood!

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I've dialed on those hood edge cushions till I'm blue in the face. Hood still flutters. Hate the Aluminum hood. Dents very easily.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the same it jus made the hood gap rise higher .
Havent drove it yet ill let u guys no wat the out come is

·
Registered
499 Posts
Problem is usually the bonding points have separated as described in the bulletin above. More info at the Ridgeline forum on a DIY fix.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
And if all else fails...., you could buy an after market steel hood from RockAuto. It must be painted.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I thought the new Pilot hoods were made of a composite material, not aluminum. They are very light weight indeed. But I have driven at 80mph many times and never noticed any shaking.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I thought the new Pilot hoods were made of a composite material, not aluminum. They are very light weight indeed. But I have driven at 80mph many times and never noticed any shaking.
It's aluminum. I've removed a crashed hood and set in a salvage one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok i have fix the problem screwing the 2 rubber pad to make them touch the hood stoped the hood from fluttering no more shake . U dont hav to remove nothing when u open the hood you will see the 2 rubber tab sticking out turn it counterclockwise to make them go up you jus need it to touch the hood wen u close to much will caused it to make the hood have missaligment
Hope this is help full therr is a link showing how to fix it on this topic.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Glad to hear you got the hood shake fixed. I was going to suggest a more permanent fix for hood shaking that really works.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take care of your problem with this, ASAP, folks. American Honda totally screwed me on this. I am still reeling after years of being a loyal Honda girl (8 cars since 1983 and dealerships in 5 states). Since the day I drove my 2017 EX of the lot I noticed the flutter. I took it back within a week and they showed me the pegs to spin to make the hood tighter but on the ultra windy Wyoming highways I drive that made no difference at all. So I had them install a wind deflector. Still no help. I took it in to three different dealers, one installed a new latch, two others looked and looked and couldn't figure it out or claimed they couldn't replicate. Finally a dealer in Colorado (who first tried by fixing the latch) says I need a new hood for $2k. Like hell, I say. For a malfunction that I noticed on day one and took to multiple dealerships to get fixed? I have all the records. I went home and googled around and sure enough found the service bulletin (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10145389-9999.pdf) - why the hell didn't any of the dealerships do this simple search? I am baffled. I called American Honda and they started a claim and said they'd make it square for me. They found a dealership in Rapid City SD that was super awesome and had done this service bulletin repair four times already. YAY! I take my car up there for what was supposed to be a 2-hour project but they couldn't repair it they said there was damage to the aluminum so I still needed a new hood. The offer? I can pay half ($750). How fair is that my friends? I buy a $35k vehicle with a malfunctioning hood from day one and no dealer figures out the problem in nearly 3 years and now I am supposed to pay up? I was shocked. Am Shocked. I don't know how to even start looking for another brand to move to, but Honda has lost all its luster and I'm moving on. Consider yourselves warned and get the hood fixed asap and don't let the dealership ignore it. Signed, one pissed-off form Honda chick.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
You called Honda USA and have a case #?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You called Honda USA and have a case #?
Yes, I worked with them with a case number. I even got attention from Honda Customer Service on Twitter who had it reopened and they still claim now it's out of their hands. I am just so bummed after my long tenure with all 8 cars before and such good luck and vibes and then here I am with the most expensive I've ever bought paying so much, including the extra warranty and unlimited windshield replacement just because I wanted that Honda security. And this is what I get, and this is how they treat me. :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
i Jo
Take care of your problem with this, ASAP, folks. American Honda totally screwed me on this. I am still reeling after years of being a loyal Honda girl (8 cars since 1983 and dealerships in 5 states). Since the day I drove my 2017 EX of the lot I noticed the flutter. I took it back within a week and they showed me the pegs to spin to make the hood tighter but on the ultra windy Wyoming highways I drive that made no difference at all. So I had them install a wind deflector. Still no help. I took it in to three different dealers, one installed a new latch, two others looked and looked and couldn't figure it out or claimed they couldn't replicate. Finally a dealer in Colorado (who first tried by fixing the latch) says I need a new hood for $2k. Like hell, I say. For a malfunction that I noticed on day one and took to multiple dealerships to get fixed? I have all the records. I went home and googled around and sure enough found the service bulletin (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10145389-9999.pdf) - why the hell didn't any of the dealerships do this simple search? I am baffled. I called American Honda and they started a claim and said they'd make it square for me. They found a dealership in Rapid City SD that was super awesome and had done this service bulletin repair four times already. YAY! I take my car up there for what was supposed to be a 2-hour project but they couldn't repair it they said there was damage to the aluminum so I still needed a new hood. The offer? I can pay half ($750). How fair is that my friends? I buy a $35k vehicle with a malfunctioning hood from day one and no dealer figures out the problem in nearly 3 years and now I am supposed to pay up? I was shocked. Am Shocked. I don't know how to even start looking for another brand to move to, but Honda has lost all its luster and I'm moving on. Consider yourselves warned and get the hood fixed asap and don't let the dealership ignore it. Signed, one pissed-off form Honda chick.
Yes, I worked with them with a case number. I even got attention from Honda Customer Service on Twitter who had it reopened and they still claim now it's out of their hands. I am just so bummed after my long tenure with all 8 cars before and such good luck and vibes and then here I am with the most expensive I've ever bought paying so much, including the extra warranty and unlimited windshield replacement just because I wanted that Honda security. And this is what I get, and this is how they treat me. :-(
Similar story on my wife’s 2016 Pilot. Noticed it immediately after purchase on the drive home (most highway ~ 70mph....or faster). I had to take it back to dealership the following week to get a replacement for a dimpled piece of chrome trim that we noticed and pointed out during our inspection at purchase. We stated that the hood was shaking like it was going to fly off. They took a look while replacing the trim and said it was the hood dampeners. They adjusted them and sent us on our way. It was somewhat better but still noticeable. We called and told the service department that it was still fluttering and was told that it would “settle down” once all of the gaskets and dampeners would flatten out with time and mileage. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and car savvy and know when I’m being B.S.’d but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Time passed, we got complacent and since my wife mostly drives in town for work we didn’t notice it until we drove to Denver the following year, Spring if 2017. Same issue but now worse. Took it to Mile High Honda in Denver....they wanted to adjust the dampeners and no other remedy. Back to the dealership to plead my case and request a third party evaluation of the problem and was basically told to go pound sand, they’ve done all they could do. Took it to two other dealerships and everyone of them said they’ve never had a complaint....no one has ever brought that to their attention. My 3 yr/ 36k had long ran out before I found this site. Took the info gained from here and the NHTSB / Honda Bulletin as proof of a known problem and they offered a “good faith” deal of $150.00 repair per the bulletin specs and was sure that would cure what ails our Pilot. Uh...No, it didn’t! They’ve now offered to send it to a third party body shop and split the cost with me. We shall see!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts