Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The alarm on my 2008 Pilot started going off for no apparent reason the other day. The posts here helped me diagnose it and after disconnecting the hood latch sensor the alarm has not gone off again.

While I was disconnecting the sensor, I noticed that the part that the latch attaches to was loose. That part is highlighted in the attached pic. At the bottom of this part was a bolt that was sticking way out. It's pretty tight in this area but I was able to get a socket down there and tried to tighten the bolt without much force. Even so, the bolt snapped. So now this part swivels back and forth pretty easily, both knocking around under the hood AND making it so the hood doesn't seem to latch tight. And I'm worried that the whole thing will snap off and cause bigger issues.

Anyone ever deal with this? Thoughts on how to fix this since given that part of the bolt is still stuck in there and there's pretty much no room to work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,196 Posts
Owner of an 08 SE. No idea how to help but following. Good luck!

Reactions: VTHokiePilot

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
During my rebuild access to the broken bolt might be easier with the grill removed. The other bolts might be loose since the broken one is not the only one securing the latch. Might be easier to drill a new hole than try to remove the broken bolt. If that is too difficult perhaps a few zip ties?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
99 Posts
Hi all,

The alarm on my 2008 Pilot started going off for no apparent reason the other day. The posts here helped me diagnose it and after disconnecting the hood latch sensor the alarm has not gone off again.

While I was disconnecting the sensor, I noticed that the part that the latch attaches to was loose. That part is highlighted in the attached pic. At the bottom of this part was a bolt that was sticking way out. It's pretty tight in this area but I was able to get a socket down there and tried to tighten the bolt without much force. Even so, the bolt snapped. So now this part swivels back and forth pretty easily, both knocking around under the hood AND making it so the hood doesn't seem to latch tight. And I'm worried that the whole thing will snap off and cause bigger issues.

Anyone ever deal with this? Thoughts on how to fix this since given that part of the bolt is still stuck in there and there's pretty much no room to work?

Thanks! View attachment 144873
Like the other post said just drill a self tapping sheet metal screw nobody’s either wiser problem solved or drill it out and retap hopefully this helps

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,860 Posts
Looks like I'll have to remove the splash guard under the front to get any type of access. Hopefully I won't have to remove the whole front bumper!
If it comes to that, here's the playbook from the coach's manual.

I'll bet most plays in tomorrow's big game will be less needlessly complex than this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
99 Posts
Looks like I'll have to remove the splash guard under the front to get any type of access. Hopefully I won't have to remove the whole front bumper!
No just the splash shield and the plastic cover on top mark the hood latch position that must come out push to the side three screws the whole thing comes out slide out from the top out it on a bench and use a ez out to take broken bolt out throw some never seize on the bolts when you putting it back on good luck brother

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.