Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope these photos do justice. The under hood insulator on my '16 Pilot is falling out of the hood's retaining slots and I'm not sure what to do to fix it. It seems to be made out of a stiff, but thin fiber board. The two end-tabs on each side toward the windshield have weakened and bend now allowing the liner to fall down when the hood is closed. The retainer clips used on the other end of the insulator are all that are keeping it from falling off the hood and onto the engine. A new one costs close to $100, which I'd rather not buy. Is there any way to re-stiffen the tabs?

IMG_1934.JPG IMG_1935.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
You will likely have to tape the edges with a heat resistant tape then fit it back in. You may even need a bit of adheisive to get it to stay in place or slip the tab in and then a bit of heat resistance tape to hold it in place.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
You will likely have to tape the edges with a heat resistant tape then fit it back in. You may even need a bit of adheisive to get it to stay in place or slip the tab in and then a bit of heat resistance tape to hold it in place.
Cut/shape some flat plastic and attach to the back(adhesive/hot glue etc) of the tabs as a reienforcment. Just a thought.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was told it's a "fire blanket". In case of engine fire, the heat will melt the clips and drops the blanket. If what I heard is correct, permanent adhesive may not be a good choice.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I was told it's a "fire blanket". In case of engine fire, the heat will melt the clips and drops the blanket. If what I heard is correct, permanent adhesive may not be a good choice.
Me, I'm doing the fix rather than paying for a new one. If it gets hot enough, that adhesive will melt. It's liable to melt before the fire. I'll go a step further and drill a hole, spray some primer and zip tie it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cut/shape some flat plastic and attach to the back(adhesive/hot glue etc) of the tabs as a reinforcement. Just a thought.
Thanks Nail Grease. You got my creative juices going with this suggestion. No plastic, but I do have paint sticks. After the glue sits for 24 hours I'll let you know how it goes. Got my fingers crossed! :)

IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1939.JPG IMG_1941.JPG

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
Definitely not a fire blanket. It's sound insulation same as under the carpet inside. If a fire ever does occur, that little stuff won't do anything and will not protect you or your vehicle. Like all the plastics and everything else under there it is more likely just as flammable as the rest

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glue is cured enough for my impatience. The two end tabs were the ones that were bent, which is why the sides of the insulator sagged down off the hood. Center tab was still stiff ... probably thanks to the push-in fastener just a few inches away. Anyway my homemade remedy seems to have worked like a charm. The two tabs with the thin wood reinforcements I glued in place slipped back into the hood slots like Honda designed it that way :devilish:. The wood is out of sight and the insulator fits tight against the hood again.

IMG_1942.JPG IMG_1943.JPG IMG_1945.JPG

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Definitely not a fire blanket. It's sound insulation same as under the carpet inside. If a fire ever does occur, that little stuff won't do anything and will not protect you or your vehicle. Like all the plastics and everything else under there it is more likely just as flammable as the rest
I agree!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts