Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if a few other owners of later model 3rd gen Pilots can chime in here with their experience...

Along the front edge of the hood on my 2019 Pilot Touring, there is a rubber gasket that I assume is supposed to compress flat and seal the hood to the lights and grill when the hood is closed.

In my case it doesn't - when the hood is closed there is a gap right from the passenger side to the drivers side that is about 1/8" over the lights and about 3/16" in the center. The problem that I am experiencing with this is that when driving in the rain, or going through the car wash, etc, enough water is getting through to set and saturate the hood liner blanket, making it sag, and staining it with salt when/if the water eventually dries. Plus I don't really want the salt water spray (winter shoulder seasons) getting all over the engine components.

The hood line at the gap to the fenders looks like it is aligned properly, IE, the hood is not noticeably standing proud. If I press down on the hood at the front, I can get the gasket to touch the grill and lights and looks like it would then seal properly, and it doesn't appear to significantly/negatively affect the line at the fender interface.

I had it at the dealer earlier this week and pointed this out, and they did say they adjusted the hood and improved things, but did not get it to seal completely. So they are ordering a new gasket, and will also replace the hood blanket that has been damaged by constant wetting. So no real issue there, service is not pushing back.

But my concern is if they are just going to replace the gasket with the same one, I don't see how this is going to seal better as the gasket that is on there does not look deformed.

I know in my Odyssey there is a similar gasket and it seals completely tight, zero gaps when the hood is closed.

Can a few other owners let me know if their hood gasket compresses and seals to the lights and grill, or if there is a gap and that's the way it is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm wondering if a few other owners of later model 3rd gen Pilots can chime in here with their experience...

Along the front edge of the hood on my 2019 Pilot Touring, there is a rubber gasket that I assume is supposed to compress flat and seal the hood to the lights and grill when the hood is closed.

In my case it doesn't - when the hood is closed there is a gap right from the passenger side to the drivers side that is about 1/8" over the lights and about 3/16" in the center. The problem that I am experiencing with this is that when driving in the rain, or going through the car wash, etc, enough water is getting through to set and saturate the hood liner blanket, making it sag, and staining it with salt when/if the water eventually dries. Plus I don't really want the salt water spray (winter shoulder seasons) getting all over the engine components.

The hood line at the gap to the fenders looks like it is aligned properly, IE, the hood is not noticeably standing proud. If I press down on the hood at the front, I can get the gasket to touch the grill and lights and looks like it would then seal properly, and it doesn't appear to significantly/negatively affect the line at the fender interface.

I had it at the dealer earlier this week and pointed this out, and they did say they adjusted the hood and improved things, but did not get it to seal completely. So they are ordering a new gasket, and will also replace the hood blanket that has been damaged by constant wetting. So no real issue there, service is not pushing back.

But my concern is if they are just going to replace the gasket with the same one, I don't see how this is going to seal better as the gasket that is on there does not look deformed.

I know in my Odyssey there is a similar gasket and it seals completely tight, zero gaps when the hood is closed.

Can a few other owners let me know if their hood gasket compresses and seals to the lights and grill, or if there is a gap and that's the way it is?

Thanks!
Looked at my 2019 EX-L and the gasket is pretty snug against the headlights, but there is a small gap between gasket and grill. It seems silly to have a gasket between hood & grill if it doesn't seal!! Did Honda intend to have a small amount of air flow there?? Did you look at any other Pilots on the dealer's lot? Since you brought this up & thanks, by the way, I'm going to Scotch Guard that hood liner. Don't know how effective that will be, but I'm going to give it a shot. My hood liner still looks like new, but I have never(yet) driven on salt treated roads.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used a very thin(thinner than a credit card) piece of cardboard to insert between gasket & headlights & could feel resistance. No resistance at the grill & an obvious gap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what my gasket gap looks like, and the hood liner after only 2 months (new in last week of September):

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have the same useless thin front hood gasket on our 2019 Touring.... Guess it might keep large birds out :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll let you all know how mine turns out on Monday - the dealer is going to replace the gasket and hood liner, and adjust the hood some more, no problem.

So either the replacement part is exactly the same and the issue will persist, which means 'it is what it is'...

...Or the replacement part will be thicker, meaning Honda found a design fault and has addressed it.

My money is on 'it is what it is'.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the dealer replaced the gasket and the hood liner, no issues or arguments on that at all.

I went to pick it up and looked at it, but it has exactly the same gap, 1/8" over the lights, 1/4"ish in the center of the grill...

I asked the tech to come out and look at it with me, he said they could not do anything more than replace the gasket. If the gap was still there, then that's the way its supposed to be.

There was a brand new Odyssey sitting beside my Pilot... I pointed out that it has the same rubber gasket, and showed him how the gasket on the Ody was sealed tight as a whistle, in fact on the Ody it's squashed pretty flat. I said it seemed odd that Honda would go to the expense of putting in a rubber gasket if it did not seal, it was pointless to be there if that's the case. He said that the Ody and the Pilot are designed differently and that's the way all Pilots and Passports would be... that "you can look at any of them and that's normal".

I took him up on the challenge and walked 2 cars over to a new Pilot sitting across from the Ody... also tight as a whistle. I mean the gasket is not squashed flat as a pancake like it is in the Odyssey, but on that pilot there is no gap at all, it took a bit of effort to slide the tech's business card in.

He scratched his head after that feeling somewhat embarrassed at what he just told me, and agreed to take my Pilot into their body shop next week to get the hood adjusted properly.

So it looks like its just sloppy assembly on mine (and some of yours?) from the factory as the gasket is in fact capable of (and most likely intended to) sealing against the whole length across the front end.

I'll report back again after the hood adjustment.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, the dealer replaced the gasket and the hood liner, no issues or arguments on that at all.

I went to pick it up and looked at it, but it has exactly the same gap, 1/8" over the lights, 1/4"ish in the center of the grill...

I asked the tech to come out and look at it with me, he said they could not do anything more than replace the gasket. If the gap was still there, then that's the way its supposed to be.

There was a brand new Odyssey sitting beside my Pilot... I pointed out that it has the same rubber gasket, and showed him how the gasket on the Ody was sealed tight as a whistle, in fact on the Ody it's squashed pretty flat. I said it seemed odd that Honda would go to the expense of putting in a rubber gasket if it did not seal, it was pointless to be there if that's the case. He said that the Ody and the Pilot are designed differently and that's the way all Pilots and Passports would be... that "you can look at any of them and that's normal".

I took him up on the challenge and walked 2 cars over to a new Pilot sitting across from the Ody... also tight as a whistle. I mean the gasket is not squashed flat as a pancake like it is in the Odyssey, but on that pilot there is no gap at all, it took a bit of effort to slide the tech's business card in.

He scratched his head after that feeling somewhat embarrassed at what he just told me, and agreed to take my Pilot into their body shop next week to get the hood adjusted properly.

So it looks like its just sloppy assembly on mine (and some of yours?) from the factory as the gasket is in fact capable of (and most likely intended to) sealing against the whole length across the front end.

I'll report back again after the hood adjustment.
As I stated earlier, my Pilot has a small gap between hood & grill, but considerably smaller than what you have stated on your Pilot. You also stated that the hood and fenders appeared to be properly alligned. So, I'm wondering if the issue is not so much with the hood adjustment as with the mounted height of the grill. I have no idea if the grill can be adjusted at all, but you might inquire with the body shop tech. Please keep us posted on the outcome of this issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts