Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just friendly reminder that if you're planning on driving in northern winter conditions, you really ought to put proper winter tires on.

And top off the windshield washer fluid with the -45 degree stuff, even if it doesn't actually get that cold. Lesser stuff tends to ice up on your windshield. And get enough so you don't run out on your way somewhere.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Just friendly reminder that if you're planning on driving in northern winter conditions, you really ought to put proper winter tires on.

And top off the windshield washer fluid with the -45 degree stuff, even if it doesn't actually get that cold. Lesser stuff tends to ice up on your windshield. And get enough so you don't run out on your way somewhere.

The husband in Alaska should know that his family 4x4 needs set of snow tires for the trip across Canada. I blame him for setting his family up for failure. I'd be looking at these Generals for that truck.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
The husband in Alaska should know that his family 4x4 needs set of snow tires for the trip across Canada. I blame him for setting his family up for failure. I'd be looking at these Generals for that truck.
You know I'm a General man myself.

I've heard of, and had a set of AT2's on my Dakota Truck in the past.

Those are probably the beefier set of All Terrains

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
522 Posts
But those aren't snow tires. They are all terrains with a 3PMS rating. Better than those that don't but not true snow/winter tires. When it gets that cold that you need the -45 windshield fluid, you probably also want the more flexible compound of true winter tires.

All I find at the places I go is the -20F Blue stuff, I might wnat to hunt more for the colder stuff, just because. I don't like the Rain-X orange ones as the Rain-X in it seems to conflict with my Aquapel and it always left white residue spots on the car. I did put a fresh gallon spare in the back of the Pilot when my son took it hunting as it was forecasted snow and foul weather

Some cars have heaters for the squirter systems for the ice/snow. My dad did the improvised version on all his cars as did I for many years, but not on new ones yet. He took some vacuum line and wrapped it tight and secured around upper radiator hose and spliced into the line between pump and nozzles. It didn't help if the car wasn't warmed up first but driving definitely did.

I usually keep 1-2 of the Prestone Concentrate bottles in the car. Worst case I can use that with some of the water bottles I always have.

·
Registered
522 Posts
General Altimax Arctic are good snows. They have been revised and now are Altimax Arctic 12 for cars and Grabber Arctic and Grabber Arctic LT pending load carrying designation you need. Going to Alaska I might be leaning toward the NOKIAN versions, possibly studded but then that accounts for being in conditions that warrant it for longer periods. Michelin also has the new X-ice Snow SUV and the very popular tread pattern LTX M/S but with a winter compound. Cooper, Goodyear and a couple others still have studdable versions.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts

Minus 45... sure hope he's talking degrees F there. I've experienced minus 40 degree c and f and cars don't like it one bit.
it's pretty rare to find anything better than minus 20 where I am. if I do find anything better I grab it.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
329 Posts
We took our new Jetta Wagon up to upstate NY the first winter we had it. I don't know what fluid they had in there, but it froze. Had to drive around for a while with no ability to squirt stuff on the windshield. Finally warmed up enough to get all that factory stuff out, and put in some real stuff. Down here we get the neg 20 stuff, but I'd rather have the neg 30.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Minus 45... sure hope he's talking degrees F there. I've experienced minus 40 degree c and f and cars don't like it one bit.
it's pretty rare to find anything better than minus 20 where I am. if I do find anything better I grab it.
Also, I have a couple of jugs of the -49 degree stuff for those especially nippy mornings.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rain-x-clearview-49-c-de-icer-windshield-waher/1000144434

The temperature rating isn't exact science, in my experience. Stuff freezes up on the windshield well before its rating. For example, -20 frosts over immediately starting at about -12 or so.

BTW, -40 is where the twain meet.

Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion table

Celsius (°C)Fahrenheit (°F)
-50 °C-58.0 °F
-40 °C-40.0 °F
-30 °C-22.0 °F
-20 °C-4.0 °F
-10 °C14.0 °F
-9 °C15.8 °F
-8 °C17.6 °F
-7 °C19.4 °F
-6 °C21.2 °F
-5 °C23.0 °F
-4 °C24.8 °F
-3 °C26.6 °F
-2 °C28.4 °F
-1 °C30.2 °F
0 °C32.0 °F
1 °C33.8 °F
2 °C35.6 °F
3 °C37.4 °F
4 °C39.2 °F
5 °C41.0 °F
6 °C42.8 °F
7 °C44.6 °F
8 °C46.4 °F
9 °C48.2 °F
10 °C50.0 °F
20 °C68.0 °F
30 °C86.0 °F
40 °C104.0 °F

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had to use a company car for some interviews upstate one year mid winter, they wouldn't let me take mine, I argued and was overruled. I came the day before and brought the car home. Vacuumed it, cleaned the windows, rain-x'd the windows and found out the spare tire had a hole in it but was never replaced (So I took a donut spare I had with same bolt pattern). I filled up the 1/2 empty washer bottle with some -20F fluid, put an extra jug in the trunk, tossed a snow brush and emergency shovel in and cringed at the look of the 1/2 worn crappy all seasons, filled them up to proper inflation as they were all low and next morning headed off with my boss.

Uneventful clear drive up just cold. The morning we left it was -5F , it had snowed 5 inches, roads were salted but mostly cleared and I got stuck behind some other cars. I TRIED to clear the window but it was frozen, WTF? I pulled over, used the jug and paper towels I brought and stayed way back from traffic. The closest place to stop for anything was 40 minutes away (Mcdonalds). We stopped for breakfast I parked the car in a spot best blocked from wind and let it run. I went out a couple times but it took almost a full hour for the squirter to defrost and work so we could continue drive knowing I needed to clear windshield multiple times for next 5 hours. We slid on many straight sections were wind blew snow over the roads and blew us.

What did I do wrong? I never used the windshield washer AFTER I filled it up to get the ant-freeze stuff into the pump, lines and nozzles!

The next year for the same trip my boss told the executives, FU, we are using his SUV and you will reimburse for the mileage. We hit a crazy blizzard, 5 hours in 4WD only issue was truck running warm and then a check engine light. I pulled over at a self serve spray wand car wash. My boss looked like the RCA dog I told him to hop out. 7" of wet snow slush was covering the entire front of the truck blocking air flow to radiator and air intake. Blasted 90% of it off in a couple minutes and rolled on no issues, no concerns, he took a nap and enjoyed the ride.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Visiting Dannemora, were you? :p

But yeah, hope you boss learned his lesson.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts