Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Elite, Lunar Silver, stock (so far)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I use the HondaLink app with my 2020 Honda Pilot Elite following the instructions provided by Honda here:

I press send to the car, which it does.

When I start the car, the nav system starts up. I select Go! but it never does, it just takes me to the map display.

I am current on all software including the nav system.

Is there a magic sequence I need to follow?

Thx for any advice you can share!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think the app was meant for a passenger in the back seats to control the HVAC and navigation. Just wondering... how are you able to use the app when the car is off? It doesn't let you use the app unless you're connected to the car WiFi (not the hotspot). The car WiFi only works when the car is on. I assume you're trying to send the directions to your car before you got in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are two apps I think. Cabin Control allows passengers to control the AC and some media control as you describe. Oddly it can't control the main volume in our Pilot.

The other one is Honda Link. It supports a few remote functions like checking the tire pressure and fuel level. It also let's you search for destinations and send them to the car.

When I do this, it seems as though the car gets there destination, but when I follow the instructions and press the Go! button, it takes me to the main man page. Perhaps I'm not being patient and waiting long enough for it to calculate a destination.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2019. Sometimes the destination appears after a few minutes when it tells me I have a sent destination, and sometimes it doesn't appear at all. I haven't used it enough to know what it requires to accept it, other than I believe now it does have to be connected to the car when sending.

I just tried sending directions from the house to the car, and the Honda Link says I have to connect to do so.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I also don't have the paid subscription for the Honda Link. Once my free trial expired, I just use the free version which I believe is good for 5 years. It only allows limited functions such as seeing fuel and oil life with odometer reading. Maps is also a part of the 5 year free service, which had disappeared a few months ago from my device. I had to contact Honda for them to turn it back on for the remainder of the free period.

The cabin control must be something new for 2020? I don't recall having that for my 2019 Touring even when I had the full free trial.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't used the Cabin Control app much except to try it. The one thing that I thought might be useful, to change the cabin volume, it can't do 🤗

I do like the idea of being able to send directions to the car from my phone before I set out, but I haven't had much success yet. I'm probably just not bring patient.

My wife's remote app allows remote start which is helpful. The Pilot doesn't support that feature through the app. I'm not sure what value there is breing able to do it from the fob. If I'm that close that the fob will work, I'm almost ready to reach for the handle anyway!

·
Registered
813 Posts
The HondaLink app just allows you to add destinations to your GPS history. The CabinControl app is the one that actually lets you send directions to your navigation system. I think your best option would be to put the directions on your phone and use CarPlay/ Android Auto if you don't want to go through menus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had the same problem with my 2019. Sometimes the destination appears after a few minutes when it tells me I have a sent destination, and sometimes it doesn't appear at all. I haven't used it enough to know what it requires to accept it, other than I believe now it does have to be connected to the car when sending.

I just tried sending directions from the house to the car, and the Honda Link says I have to connect to do so.
I have had success using Honda Link in the car and from inside the house, but it's not reliable. I sent a note to Honda. If they reply with any advice, I'll report back here and let you know. Thank you!

·
Registered
883 Posts
The HondaLink app just allows you to add destinations to your GPS history. The CabinControl app is the one that actually lets you send directions to your navigation system. I think your best option would be to put the directions on your phone and use CarPlay/ Android Auto if you don't want to go through menus.
I checked into my 2019 Honda Link closer and figured a few things out. My maps are sent to the vehicle using the Honda Link and the Maps on there. I have to make sure my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth, and then can go into Honda Link. From there I can enter an address or search by category. Once I have selected the destination, at the bottom of the pictured map is "SEND TO CAR". When I push that, I get confirmation that it has been sent. If I am not connected via Bluetooth, it says to connect before it can be sent.

Now it is NOT an instant process at all once it has been sent! I tried 4 different destinations in my area and each took 3-5 minutes before the car acknowledged it was received. This was while driving and I live in an area with fast cell service and excellent coverage. I think the Honda just doesn't play well with electronics.

I tried two with the navigation displayed on the screen, and two with my XM channel being on the screen. It didn't matter because once the destination came through, I got a notice at the top of each screen that an address had been sent, did I want to select a route. If I ignored that message, it disappeared after a minute or so but then a orange circle with a 1 inside appeared on the right side of the screen. It was a message that when I selected it by touching the orange circle, the address I sent was there and again asked if I wanted to route to it.

When I was on the XM screen and allowed the message button to appear, after pushing the message and selecting to route the destination, the navigation screen then came on in place of the XM screen.

In essence for my 2019 model at least, the send to car is through the Honda Link maps, not through Cabin Control, which isn't an option that I know off on the free version of Honda Link for the 2019.

The phone must be connected through Bluetooth (at least on my car) to the car before a destination can be sent.

This could be useful to enter a destination while driving into your phone and then send it to the navigation. I try using the speech search or address with the steering wheel button but the favorite reply from the unit is
"PARDON?"

The factory navigation is the worst i have ever had in a car, even considering cars from 2009!!!!

With the delay in getting the destination to the car, you may be able to reach your destination before it appears on the navigation!!!! LOL!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
I've kind of accepted that built in navigation systems are generally not great. Things evolve so quickly by the time you get the car they're already outdated.
CarPlay or Android Auto is better because you can use Google Maps or Waze.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've kind of accepted that built in navigation systems are generally not great.
I've always tended to agree with this, especially after owning two Acuras. Honda Corp isn't really known for their head units and navi systems.

That said, so far I've found the 2020 Pilot nav system quite reasonable and almost pleasant to use. Right after I got the car I updated to the latest maps from Garmin (2021 I think). It was a weird do-si-do to get done but fun in a geeky sort of way. It was easier than ordering a DVD from Honda which I never did for any other car.

The menu system for entering addresses is much better than either of the Acuras we had, our Toyota Prius (awful interface) and my wife's Buick. The Buick overcomes that by accepting addresses from her remote app on her phone. I've actually had pretty good luck with voice commands and addresses, too.

We use the nav system in the car for our long distance drives that take us 1,800 miles at a time through a variety of settings including interstates, but also two lane and dirt roads in the middle of nowhere. On those trips, we try to avoid chewing up a bunch of data on our legacy phone plan and avoid loss of maps where no cell service is available. Using the GPS located nav system in the car is usually accurate enough and saves us some data and money in that sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts