Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Honda dash, interior and RES trim kits for my Sandstone EX-L RES Pilot. I was surprised by the Saddle interior. At first I thought it would be all the same color, and would need something to break it up a bit. But between the dash, and the leather on the doors, I think they did a great job of alternating different tones. I'm really getting used to it, this being my first interior of this color.

We actually really liked the Honda wood-grain trim pieces. We thought it was just enough to break things up a little bit, but not too much to look overdone. I think just about everyone who saw our Pilot over the weekend commented on the wood-grain trim, and the feedback was very positive.

The installation was very easy. Instead of peeling the ends and affixing them to the front of the piece like suggested in the Honda directions, I decided to pull all of the adhesive covering and lightly position the piece. As long as you do it carefully, it can be repositioned if not quite right. Then when I was satisfied, I pushed it firmly into place and then held firm pressure for about 30 seconds. I used a small white terry cloth towel so I wouldn't leave any fingerprints.

I think you'll find the fit of most of the pieces to be very good. A lot of the pieces seem to position themselves just by the form alone, making it difficult to adhere them incorrectly. There were some minor instances where I thought the fit could be better, but they weren't noticeable to anyone but me, since I was working closely with the pieces. Mrs. SoapPlant still can't point any of the spots out! And maybe I'm just too much of a perfectionist?

One note, each of the adhesive backings has a small green tab on the end that you can pull to remove the backing. I noticed a couple of the strips of adhesive didn't have this tab on them. I only noticed it on the second piece and one of the door pieces was adhered with the backing still on, so it wasn't sticking to the door handle. Luckily I was able to get under it with my pocket knife and get the backing off. With all of the strips, its difficult to keep track of them. Anything that looks shiny, you'll probably have to get your fingernail or pocket knife under it and remove the backing from it (like removing a label from its backing). After I got going, I lightly touched each of the adhesive pieces with my fingertip to make sure it was sticky to the touch.

The pieces appear to be firmly in place. I've applied pressure to the pieces over the weekend, just to make sure they're nice and stuck! I'll let you know if I notice any of them coming up.

This first picture is of the full dash on the driver's side. Sorry, but it was getting a little dark outside, so the pictures might not be too bright. I was also trying not to use flash, so some of them might be a little blurry.

I'd appreciate everyone's feedback - good or bad, with respect to the style, coverage, fit, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the driver's side door switch. The passenger is similar, but with less buttons, so I'll just post this one for an example...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Man ... now that looks sweet ... much better and more complete than the Exotic Wood Dash junk I bought ... It's Honda's kit all the way for me ... Although, I think the Saddle interior looks perfect with that color wood kit ... very classy ...

Anyone want to buy the exotic wood dash kit ?

PrG

·
Registered
123 Posts
Awesome on Saddle!

I love the way the woodgrain looks with the saddle! I think it looks better than the stock trim. Not so with the grey, IMHO.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Passenger's vent trim, same as on the driver's side, but I think the passenger side lined up a bit nicer...

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a close-up of the climate control and DVD trim pieces. I was really happy with these, although the picture is not the best in my opinion. I think they look much nicer in person...

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a close-up of the right side of the audio trim piece. Not quite sure why they cover only the outside buttons, and don't go around the entire radio, but I'm satisfied. Never mind the knicked up plastic at the bottom of the empty button insert - CD changer install gone bad. But not to worry, Tim is sending me a replacement piece for the bargain basement price of only $13.26, and then she'll be like new again (Whew!)...

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a close-up of the meter (instrument) trim. We were also really happy with this piece...

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally, this last picture is of the RES trim piece for the DVD. I think this is the piece that we were most happy with. Before, the DVD just sort of blended into the headliner, but we think the wood trim really makes it stand out nice. I guess that's good if you're going for the look, but maybe bad for security purposes?

Anyway, there you have it. Once again, I'd appreciate comments good or bad. If its good, we'd love to hear it, and if its bad we appreciate the honesty.

If there's another view or another angle that you'd like to see, just let me know and I'll get it taken and posted. I'll try to take some other pictures out when its brighter. Hope this helps any of you on the bubble...

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
nice SoapPlant!

I like how you didn't overdo it. Just the right amount I'd say. Looks nice.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Honda Wood Grain

Looks Great.. I am still debating whether it will look satisfactory with the grey interior. Thanks for the photos.:6:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very, very nice!!! I have the wood trim with the dark grey interior and though I think it looks great, the saddle leather with the trim just blows it away.

I really wanted to get the Sandstone originally just to get the saddle interior, but I admit that I was a chicken and was afraid to pick something off of a one inch chip from the brochure that I couldn't see in person.

You should be very proud of how great it looks and the professional-looking installation that you did.

Kudos!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awesome look. I really wanted the black exterior and thus had to settle for grey interior. In my opinion black exterior and saddle interior are a better match. I wouldn't attempt the wood trim on the grey. Saddle is the only color it looks right on. A thing of beauty. Be proud!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Awesome !!!!

Just like most - wondering what will look good on grey interior. BTW, where did you buy the wood trim kit? Price?

thanks...again - wonderful job!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks for posting these pics. With all of the grey interior shots, I was wondering what it would look like on my saddle interior. I think it looks great. Blends in very nice, like I had hoped. I will probably be ordering this. One question, how do you feel about the RES trim piece? My concern was that it might be too distracting against the roof liner. I know you have a shot of it, but I would like to hear your first hand experiences with it.

Great shots. Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
SoapPlant said:
I'd appreciate everyone's feedback - good or bad, with respect to the style, coverage, fit, etc.
WOW-A-MUNGO!!!!!

I love it. We have been debating getting the wood trim, as you know. Well, as we were driving it around this past week, my hubby said he thought that we shouldn't get it. I agreed.

Now that I've seen your photos though ... I have changed my mind.

I have the same interior you do, and this looks truly perfect. It finishes the look. I've got to show him this.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Soap ...

I've got an idea ...

Let's swap PILOTs ...

:4:

PrG

1 - 20 of 55 Posts