Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Honda pilot transmission stopped working then started working then stopped working again. Like a light switch off on off over a period Of one month. This leads me to believe that it's a an electrical issue. Can someone tell me what the seven solenoids on the transmission are supposed to do. I've been trying to piece this information together over the internet and that's not easy I understand the inner (hidden)4 are, 3 shift solenoids and 1 torque converter solenoid. But I have two that cap those hidden 4 on the exterior. (side),and one on the top of the transmission. Understanding how these are supposed to function under normal use would greatly help me.

·
Registered
858 Posts
My 2008 Honda pilot transmission stopped working then started working then stopped working again. Like a light switch off on off over a period Of one month. This leads me to believe that it's a an electrical issue. Can someone tell me what the seven solenoids on the transmission are supposed to do. I've been trying to piece this information together over the internet and that's not easy I understand the inner (hidden)4 are, 3 shift solenoids and 1 torque converter solenoid. But I have two that cap those hidden 4 on the exterior. (side),and one on the top of the transmission. Understanding how these are supposed to function under normal use would greatly help me.

Mike, could you give a little more information on what the transmission was doing? Be a bit more detailed on the symptoms--"stopped working and then started working and then stopped working"-- does not tell anybody anything. Please describe the way the Pilot was driving, and then not driving, and what (if any) trouble codes or indicator lights appeared.

Please do not assume that this is an electrical problem. Automatic transmissions are very complex beasts, and the Honda a bit more so than others. Hondas are very vulnerable to problems in the hydraulic circuits. Overheating and burned fluid has probably killed more Honda trannys than anything. In fact, first step in trying to save a Honda transmission is fresh fluid.

Please be aware that I am not a transmission expert, just a shade tree mechanic who owns an old Pilot, and enjoys trying to figure out how to solve repair problems.

There is a website operated by the transmission rebuilding industry (ATSG) that provides a lot of detailed information on Honda transmissions. It's a bit difficult to access anything, especially if you are not a professional transmission tech paying for access. I was able to download an article from their online magazine that might help you. Try to find Gears magazine, the May/June 2007 issue, and the article titled: Honda 5-Speed Clutch Pressure Control (CPC). Try google several ways, I had a hard time finding the article. If you wish, email me, I could probably scan my printout and send it to you. It gives information on all the solenoids used on the Honda transmission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts