Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Honda Trailer Hitch Harness

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sequoiasoon 
#1 ·
For a 2019 Pilot

The hitch itself looks like a pretty simple install. However the factory wiring harness looks like a lot of work to install.... 08L91-TG7-101 | Honda Trailer Hitch Harness (Pilot) - Bernardi Parts

I really don't need a 7 pin so I might just get an aftermarket plug and play. Does anyone have experience installing the factory unit?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
FASTFJR- I don't know what the differences are but 2019 has different part# and it's own instructions.

2019 Honda Pilot Trailer Hitch Harness - 08L91-TG7-100B

I hope to install mine in the next week or two.

They tweeked a couple things. rear mudflaps have a different # (weathertech doesn't have yet). The LED fogs and housings, the rear reflectors vs. reverse lights and I'm sure a bunch of the other small changes.

#4 ·
Does anyone have experience installing the factory unit?

Thanks
If you follow the directions it's not awful. The hardest part for me was trying to find and pull down the 14 pin connector. I couldn't feel (you can't see it) where to remove the tape that holds the wire harness's together. I took some cell phone photo's so I could see what I was feeling and fishing for. I ended up using my small razor knife just to cut that tape. Not the easiest spots to work in. All in all it took me about 2.5 hours to get wiring and hitch done.

#9 ·
Just bought a new 2019 AWD Touring and had the trans cooler installed by the dealer.
Now I need it to get my 4000 lb boat out of the water before the lake freezes.
The genuine Honda hitch seemed outrageously expensive so I ordered the Draw-Tite 75225 here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0170YAAVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think I'm going to like the Draw-Tite better than OEM because it is a bit beefier and it has a semi-gloss finish. If it works, I've saved $100.

Now I need to order the 08L91-TG7-100B harness and 08L91-TG7-100C tailgate sensor adapter.
Being cheap again, I think I'll pick them up from my nearest Honda dealer to save $23 of shipping.

I know I'm going to have to lower the spare to get access to the six bolts.
Anybody have any experience with the Draw-Tite?
If it looks like too much trouble, I might decide to take all three items to a local (independent) shop for installation.
I don't own a torque wrench. Any complications that I need to anticipate?

#10 ·
Now I need to order the 08L91-TG7-100B harness and 08L91-TG7-100C tailgate sensor adapter.
Being cheap again, I think I'll pick them up from my nearest Honda dealer to save $23 of shipping.
Wow! My local dealer wanted $225 for the harness and $110 for the adapter. Uhhhh....NO!
Instead, I placed the order through hondapartsconnection.com and saved $115. Then I used code HPCVIP to save 25% off shipping.

#11 ·
The receiver opening for the Drawtite and all after markets mounts under the rear bumper cover so you loose 2" + of ground clearance in the back. As long as that's no issue for you the you should be fine. Many use teh drawtite, curt and others. I'm looking to gain clearance, not loose so factory was only choice for me.

Reactions: zmarke01
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.