Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never could quite believe that Honda gouged Californians to the tune of 30%, but it looks probable. Treble damages would give me my Pilot for about $3k? One can dream.

Contra Costa Times
May. 08, 2003

Suit attacks state car prices

It often costs more to buy the same car in California than in Canada, several lawsuits filed in recent days assert. The price difference can be 30 percent or higher on the same vehicle, said Joseph Alioto, a San Francisco attorney.

The suits allege that Ford, General Motors, DaimlerChrysler, Toyota, Nissan, BMW and Honda conspired to encourage their Canadian dealers not to sell to U.S. buyers.

The suit asks that the price difference in U.S. and Canadian vehicles be returned to buyers, asks for triple damages and seeks class-action status for every consumer who has bought a new car in California since Jan. 1, 2000.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Count me in on that class!

·
Registered
393 Posts
sfhondapilot said:
Yeah, it would be nice to get back 3K.....but I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Yeah, but. There are lawyers involved. The injured parties will have to read in-decipherable papers to decide whether to opt in or out, it will be settled out of court, the lawyers will get Billions, and you'll end up with a coupon for 30% off your next oil change, if you filled the form out properly and sent it in before the deadline.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
jay said:
Yeah, but. There are lawyers involved. The injured parties will have to read in-decipherable papers to decide whether to opt in or out, it will be settled out of court, the lawyers will get Billions, and you'll end up with a coupon for 30% off your next oil change, if you filled the form out properly and sent it in before the deadline.
With SF Honda quoting $120 for 7.5k service, the 30% discount still wouldn't be too bad :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Pilot4Biking said:

Yeah, it would be nice to get back 3K.....but I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:
Hmmm.

30% overcharge on $30K MSRP = $7k
Add triple damages = $21k

How long do I have to hold me breath for $28K?

:1zhelp:, I can't breathe !

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Old news

So now the lawers have chimed in.

Wel with a 10/90 split between CA/US sales each dollar "Undercharged to a CA customer would be paid to 9 US customers. So the 30% becomes closer to 3%.

Now the question becomes; "Just how much do you want the government screwing around with the market?"

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmmm

sfhondapilot said:

Hmmm.

30% overcharge on $30K MSRP = $7k
Add triple damages = $21k

How long do I have to hold me breath for $28K?

:1zhelp:, I can't breathe !
You can't hold your breath that long sf. No one can!! So don't bother..:14:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Ummm...you guys have Krispy Kreme Donuts, In & Out Burgers, Morton's, Smith & Wollensky, Lowry's steak/primerib houses, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada for dirt cheap AND lower, much lower taxes.

So, don't use Canada as the basis for this suit, as though you guys are being oppressed and being denied in anyway. We still have snow on the ground and had to cancel my teetime the last 2 weekends due to heavy snowfall, THAT'S RIGHT, snowfall still at this time of the year!!

So, who's trying to tell me things are unfair? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
RipRocK said:
Ummm...you guys have Krispy Kreme Donuts, In & Out Burgers, Morton's, Smith & Wollensky, Lowry's steak/primerib houses, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada for dirt cheap AND lower, much lower taxes.

So, don't use Canada as the basis for this suit, as though you guys are being oppressed and being denied in anyway. We still have snow on the ground and had to cancel my teetime the last 2 weekends due to heavy snowfall, THAT'S RIGHT, snowfall still at this time of the year!!

mmmmmmm....sierra nevada......mmmmmmmm:7:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmmmm

RipRocK said:

Blow a lil of that cold air down this way will ya..it's been in the lower 90's with 100% humidity all week..makes it hell to even cut the grass!!
:1:

·
Registered
164 Posts
The only thing law suit does is make the lawyers rich and make all the products that we purchase more expensive:3: :3:
:30: to most Lawyers

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Canadian prices now higher

I know this is an old thread but I thought this was the place to post. Due to the increase in value of the canadian dollar Canadians now actually pay more than Americans to buy a Pilot.

Canada EX $41,000 = $31,371.90 US

EX-L $43,000 = $32,902.30 US

U.S. EX $29,470 = $38,532 CDN

EX-L $30,870 = $40,362 CDN

Using today's exchange rate

It looks like you guys to the south are now getting the better deal. That lawsuit is probably in the toilet now, but the lawyers probably got paid.:D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hooray!!!! We're getting Krispy Kreme here in deadmon....errrrr...Edmonton :2:
My heart and arteries are probably cringing right now though. OK, so one down....now, if we can just get In & Out Burgers here...then my wife would never have to cook for me again :2:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey, if you're dumb enough to pay $500K+ for a tract home in California, then paying 30% too much for a car is a good deal. :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
N_Jay mentioned the "markets" which what I feel it all comes down to. A direct conversion of the currency is useful for comparsion but at the end of the day it all comes down to "what the market will bear". I have seen discussion here over people paying MSRP less $1000, MSRP plus $1500. etc. so even within the US prices are driven by market forcesper region. Up here in Canada I bought a demo (7000 miles) and got it for MSRP less $4500 plus no freight/PDI. I think the reason for the Granite edition up here is help drive sales. My salesman said the new CR-V was outselling the Pilot 10 to 1.

I have a Sea-Doo jetboat and we have these same conversations over on that board concerning pricing differences between the US and Canada.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sfhondapilot said:
As much as I hate price gouging, I do not think consumers will win this lawsuit. The only winners are the lawyers. I can you sue Honda for this. Nobody forced you to buy the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
04pilot said:
As much as I hate price gouging, I do not think consumers will win this lawsuit. The only winners are the lawyers. I can you sue Honda for this. Nobody forced you to buy the car.

sorry it should of said You cannot sue Honda for this.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
People, people, work with me here! This thread was dead a while ago, but I brought it back to life with my Krispy Kreme news (scroll up a bit to find out why a KK post belongs in here). Rejoice and be happy for me, for my palate will soon know what it's like to live again :2:

Hehehe....booger, sski, 04pilot, just kidding. You all make valid points.:4:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts