Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought that the only thing wrong with Honda cars were that they were bland to look at. Even Acura doesn't produce anything to salivate over. In fact, if the CL looked as good as a BMW 3 coupe, Infinti G35 coupe, etc...then i think it wouldn't be in danger of being canceled.

I think the Element is the first risky Honda I can remember. And I think it's gonna sell like freakin' crazy.

The Pilot is indeed handsome, but not stunning or very interesting. And that's fine, but i wonder what would happen if Honda really became a stying standout?

And this works the other way around too....Pontiac OVER styles it's cars. Pretty ugly from almost any vantage point. Luckily the Vibe actually looks cute, but the rest of the line is begging for a makeover. And it is.....check out www.autoweek.com and look for the GXPerformance article. The have a link to the Pontiac line and how they will and may get a facelift. Even the homely Sunfire looks great. They still look like Pontiacs (and that's good) but they look like Pontiacs with alittle style and class.

So, as other car manufacturers begin catching up in quality, will Honda have to offer something more? Infiniti has begun to learn it's lesson.....will Honda ladle on the style before it's too late?

Dallas

·
Registered
276 Posts
Infiniti has begun to learn it's lesson.....will Honda ladle on the style before it's too late?
Well it certainly looks that way with the new Accord (not very exciting styling, but a lot of goodies inside). That new Inifiniti G35 is one badass car!

No matter which model it is, I still think that Hondas look good...especially the coupes. I really like the CR-V and the Odyssey also.

If the Element is a success, I think that will pursuade Honda to spice things up. I think their first project would be to spice up the already-restyled Accord. :p

Talking about the Pontiacs, refer back to the old quote "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Some people like them, some don't. I like them. I personally (at least right now) do not like the styling of the upcoming all-new '04 Grand Prix. I'd much rather keep my '99.
But if I can get my hands on a '04 V8 Bonneville or V8 Grand Prix....:D

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree

Honda has the MOST boring styling, hands down. That's why it's easy to pick out a Honda a mile away....the bland car coming down the road.

Honda also chooses boring paint colors. The colors alone could spice things up. Maybe they should actually hire some DaimlerChrysler design people from their paint department (I think they have some of the best colors, especially on SUV's- Jeeps, etc.) I really don't care for any of the Pilot colores. None are offensive, yet none stand out to me.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Dallas said:
And this works the other way around too....Pontiac OVER styles it's cars. Pretty ugly from almost any vantage point. *** So, as other car manufacturers begin catching up in quality, will Honda have to offer something more? Infiniti has begun to learn it's lesson.....will Honda ladle on the style before it's too late?
I would have to agree with you about Pontiac overstyling their vehicles. Ford, however, is by far the worst offender. Each year they twist and pick at a good design until it looks freakish and bizarre. Much along the line of Michael Jackson's nose. The big three routinely hire their designers from graduates of Detroit's Center for Creative Studies, which is why they all have that same overall "look."

As for Honda styling, I like it.

When the vehicle needs to be stylish, it is. (The Prelude line has always been magnificent). When it doesn't need to be, they spend time perfecting the engine and the quality.

Just my opinion,
CopperPoppy

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Honda's styling has always had a few main commonalities....in many cases they believe in function over form. Remembering some information from a "Wired" magazine article about Honda, they believe in "man maximum, machine minimum". And each part is designed with the philosophy, "I have a job to do, no matter how small, I must perform that function as best I can" (quoting/paraphrasing the article).

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
As Pilot-1 said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My dad had an Accord from 3 body styles ago. I still see that body style on the street, and it still looks good. Or the 80s Prelude - still looks good. Classic styling should not be misinterpreted as a lack of styling. Honda may be the "little black dress" of the automotive industry - not necessarily flamboyant, but you'll never look back at a picture and say "geez, what made me think *that* looked good???" Certain Pontiacs, on the other hand, are the leopard-print stretch pants and black sequined tube top of the automotive industry. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Priorities

With all car engineers now using the same computer software to design and test cars, and car marketing departments all reading the same customer surveys, car executives are wondering how they are possibly going to distinguish their product from everyone else's.

Some companies decide to distinguish on style. Some succeed like Audi/Volkswagon while others struggle like GM (if you don't think the Cadilac is too bad, I have one word: Aztec!)

Others are content to distinguish on functionality and reliability, like Honda.

Still others distinquish on price, like Kia.

So as a consumer it is all a matter of what is important for you. As a car company it is a matter of finding a niche that you can satisfy and that has a market. So far Honda seems to have found a way to make money in the functionality/reliability niche. As long as that is true, styling seems to have one purpose: do not offend anybody!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Pilot-1 said:

Well it certainly looks that way with the new Accord (not very exciting styling, but a lot of goodies inside). That new Inifiniti G35 is one badass car!
Prix....:D
Believe it or not Honda is marketing the new Accord styling as spicy, hip and different.... for Honda.

Pilot-1 You're 100% right, that G35 is one bada** car!! In fact the Nissan Altima V6 is no joke either and that's why I think Honda bumped up the hp and went out on a limb with styling..... for Honda with the new Accord.

Also, while Honda's might be bland they are often different. Remember the Accords w/ the pop up head lights??? :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
Certain Pontiacs, on the other hand, are the leopard-print stretch pants and black sequined tube top of the automotive industry.

heh....not mine.... :2:
(this was before tinted windows)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pilot-1

Why no supercharger? It makes all the difference.

Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I never said Hondas were ugly...indeed they aren't...just bland (generally). I do think the late 80s Prelude and Accord coupe were cool. I owned a 89 Acura Legend Coupe.....it's still a nice looking car. WOW, the 80s were cool! :)

I know Honda doesn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities, appealling to the lowest common denominator and all, but there isn't much offensive about Audi and there cars are stylish, chic and sometimes just flat-out cool. In fact, the new Accord feels more Audi/VW-ish. I like the Accord....it's nice, but can you imagine if the new Coupe had a wow factor....or atleast door trim to prevent dings. :)

Anyway, I applaud the risk Honda is taking with the Element and I hope that they continue to understand that alittle oomph is all they need to insure their position.

Dallas

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
leopard-print

What's wrong with leopard-print stretch pants and black sequined tube tops?

For a one-night-stand or a night on the town they're great. But a person who wears them every day quickly becomes irritating.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Dallas said:
Well, I never said Hondas were ugly...indeed they aren't...just bland (generally).
I guess if you have to have a flaw, it's better to be bland than butt ugly. :2:

(Love your sig, BTW!)

Originally posted by hondacuraworld
What's wrong with leopard-print stretch pants and black sequined tube tops?

I like!
Yeah, but don't you hate it when your tube top won't stay up? :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts