Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone that has the Honda Ski Rack please take a closeup picture that shows how the ski rack mounts to the Honda cross bars.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
max_501 said:
Would someone that has the Honda Ski Rack please take a closeup picture that shows how the ski rack mounts to the Honda cross bars.

Thanks!
Maybe this will help -- if you click on this link, it will take you to the installation instructions for the Ski Attachment and how it mounts to the Cross Bars... :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh...yeah that was a good idea! Can't imagine using the ski rack for boards, but whatever. BTW, can you fit 4 pairs of skis in the rack or just 2 pairs. Can't tell from the instructions, although the pictures I just looked at only show two pairs.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
max_501 said:
Heh...yeah that was a good idea! Can't imagine using the ski rack for boards, but whatever. BTW, can you fit 4 pairs of skis in the rack or just 2 pairs. Can't tell from the instructions, although the pictures I just looked at only show two pairs.
Yes, the picture only shows two pairs of skis, but according to the specs on the hondacuraworld.com web site, it says, "Holds up to four pairs of skis and two snowboards (if there is enough clearance for bindings). Compatible with both LX and EX rack systems."

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw that description, but I don't see how you can fit 4 pairs of skis and 2 boards on that rack. Has anyone actually tried it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wrong Ski Rack Everybody!

I recently ordered, received, and returned the Honda ski attachment from hondacuraworld.com. The reason I returned it is that it looks nothing like the one in kemosabe's photo or installation instructions link. According to Tim Poliniak at hondacuraworld.com, the one in kemosabe's photo (and in the photo at hondacuraworld.com) is no longer available. The new one fits several different Honda vehicles and looks just like the one in the photo below, but has Honda imprinted on it instead of Thule. (So Thule obviously supplies it to Honda.)

If anybody finds that in fact it is still possible to get the one depicted by kemosabe (from any source), I would like to know. I see that same depiction on lots of different Honda parts sites (and also Honda's site), but figured they have not updated their sites yet.

And just to answer max_501's question, neither rack can hold 4 pairs of skis AND 2 snowboards. Theoretically either rack can hold 4 pairs of skis OR 2 snowboards. If it isn't obvious, the idea behind 4 pairs of skis is to place each pair of skis bottom to bottom and clamp them into the rack as such. Each pair would then have a binding pointing up away from the vehicle and a binding pointing down toward the vehicle. I suppose the same principle applies to holding 2 snowboards, but I think there would be clearance problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I forgot to mention that Honda's version of the Thule ski rack does not attach to the Pilot roof rack crossbars in the way shown in the Thule photo. To attach the Honda version, the rubber moldings/inserts must be removed from the roof rack crossbars, and bolts with very large flat square heads are then slid into the resulting grooves in the crossbars such that the bolts' threaded ends are sticking up. The ski rack is then attached to the bolts using plastic knobs as nuts. The knobs are screwed on with the ski rack in the open position so that the knobs are not accessible when the ski rack is closed (and locked).

This is explained in the Honda installation instruction publication GII23096. I have not seen this online anywhere and do not have a scanner at present in order to supply it here. By the way, the old Honda ski rack has part number 08L03-TA1-101. The new Honda ski rack (for which the GII23096 applies) has part number 08L03-TA1-100B.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pilotron, thanks for the excellent post. From what you've described it sounds like the Honda branded version of the Thule clamshell design is more secure as it can't be removed with the rack is closed and locked. Which is the way it should be.

This morning I found the Thule Pull Top Ski Rack

The rack actually slides out to make it easier to get the ski's on/off. Very cool design.

·
Registered
121 Posts
While looking for ski racks to fit our Pilot, I found this mew Honda ski rack: 08L03-TA1-300B Ski/Snow Board Attachment (new style) Unfortunately, there wasn't a photo. Does any one know if this is indeed a new ski rack?

Also, if you have a ski rack for your Pilot, what rack are you using? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
After further thought, I need a ski rack that will hold six pairs of skis. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Max,

The Yakima rack looks like what I need. When the rack is locked, are the pieces that connect the rack to the cross bars protected from theft? Did you have to purchase any additional hardware to fit the rack to our Pilots? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Wrong Ski Rack Everybody!

Pilotron said:
I recently ordered, received, and returned the Honda ski attachment from hondacuraworld.com.
Thule makes a great rack. Does Thule make the Honda rack? Any other reason for returning the Honda rack other than it doesn't look like the old one? The price looks great for a Thule rack if it is a Thule.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: Re: Wrong Ski Rack Everybody!

MikeP said:
Thule makes a great rack. Does Thule make the Honda rack? Any other reason for returning the Honda rack other than it doesn't look like the old one? The price looks great for a Thule rack if it is a Thule.
I just ordered Thule Flat Top 6 (fit 6 pairs) ski carrier. It's on sale at REI. There is a thread about the sale. The regular price is $105 and sale price is $83.99. Since I have the OEM crossbars, I only need to buy the clamp (Thule Flat Mouth Clamp, $29).

·
Registered
55 Posts
To MikeP

MikeP said:
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I have been out of town. When I first saw the picture of the Thule rack that I posted above, I became certain that Thule makes the Honda rack. This is because every detail (except for rack mounting method) matches, right down to the shape/color of the release buttons, rivets, etc. However, I have no official confirmation.

I wasn't very precise when I said that I returned the newer Honda rack because it didn't look the same as the old one. I really had 2 concerns:

(1) Vertical height of skis above the vehicle. The original Honda rack holds the skis at a 45? degree angle (the "roll" angle, to use an aircraft analogy). When the skis are clamped in as base-to-base pairs, this implies--other issues being equal--that the ski whose binding points away from the vehicle would not stick up as high as it would in the newer Honda rack which would point the comparable binding straight up. I was hoping that I would be able to leave skis attached to the rack when I drove in and out of my garage. It has an opening a couple of inches shorter than most garages. This is not a big deal, but there are lots of other racks that might provide such convenience. (I could even buy a wider rack with the Thule clamshell design that would allow me to point all bindings on 3 pairs of skis down toward the vehicle, i.e., not clamp them in as base-to-base pairs.)

(2) Ski rack to roof rack attachment issues. The original Honda rack attaches to roof rack crossbars using brackets and rubber grippers which require no modification to the crossbars. The newer Honda rack requires removing the crossbars, then removing the rubber inserts which run the length of the crossbars. (Refer again to my post above for more details.) Even though well-engineered and more secure than some other options, this extra complication is a bit impractical for me. I actually like the attachment method of the generic Thule rack better than the method of the new Honda rack made by Thule.

Thanks for your observation on the pricing (and the suggestions/alternatives mentioned by other members above). I am still shopping around trying to decide what I want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: To MikeP

Pilotron said:
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I have been out of town. When I first saw the picture of the Thule rack ...
Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like the Honda/Thule rack is a pain to install and uninstall. I'm looking at Thule and Yakima racks. Based on other posts it sounds like those racks are an easy install on the OEM crossbars. Anyone have experience installing the Yakima or Thule ski racks to the OEM crossbars?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all,

Can't remember if I asked this question already, but Yakima's been about as much help as a fart in a hurricane. . .

I have Yakima bike, cargo, and ski racks that I had on my Forester
and I want to use them on my Pilot with the factory (well, dealer)
installed crossbars. Yakima told me that they don't have any of the plastic Mighty Mounts that fit the Pilot crossbars and that I'd need to buy Q-towers or Lowrider towers and Yakima round crossbars at a substantial cost. I find it hard to believe that there aren't any existing mounts that will fit the Pilot crossbars. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't wanna have to buy new Thule racks, and I don't really want to get Q-towers or Lowriders for the Pilot - hell, that's why I got the crossbars from Honds to begin with!!

Any help/suggestions is/are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill P.
Colorado

·
Registered
9 Posts
uunetbill said:
Hey all,

Can't remember if I asked this question already, but Yakima's been about as much help as a fart in a hurricane. . .

Any help/suggestions is/are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill P.
Colorado
REI carries both Thule and Yakima. The salesman told me that if I purchased the Yakima rack I would need to purchase Thule Fat Mouth Clamps ($29 for a set of 4) to attach the Yakima ski rack to the factory crossbars. I purchased the Thule rack with the Fat Mouth clamps. The clamps work well. The only problem is that the Fat Mouth Clamps cannot be locked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to all who responded. I can see the problem with the horizontal mounts and the added stress if they don't fit perfectly.

FWIW, I went to REI last weekend and purchased a set of Mighty Mount 26V's and they fit the factory crossbars. Not perfect, but close enough that I feel real good about hooking up my Yakima ski rack.

Hopefully by the time bike/kayak/camping season rolls around again, Yakima will have approved horizontal Mighty Mounts out for our beloved Pilots. . .

Thanks again!

Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts