Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Honda side steps themself? If so, was it easy? I looked over the installation instructions, and it doesn't look that hard. And, what is a clip remover it says is needed? Can you get that at any tool store? I am making out my Christmas list allready, and it's loaded with Pilot accessories...hehe.

:18: :2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just installed my running boards last weekend. Took about 3 hours.
You need to have the right tools - it make is much easier. I did it on my driveway.
Those clips come out pretty easy. Just press in the center with a small screwdriver and then you can just pop it out. You don;t need a special tool for that.

{My running boards came in a big coffin like box and there was a set of "chopsticks" inside!!!! LOL...I just used the pointed end of the chopstick to push in the center tab of the clip and then just pulled it out!!}

·
Registered
449 Posts
Art said:
Has anyone installed the Honda side steps themself? If so, was it easy? I looked over the installation instructions, and it doesn't look that hard. And, what is a clip remover it says is needed? Can you get that at any tool store? I am making out my Christmas list allready, and it's loaded with Pilot accessories...hehe.

:18: :2:
Merry Christmas! You can remove the clips with a small screwdriver. The steps are fairly easy to install: Bolt step to brackets, bolt brackets to Pilot, adjust, tighten, done. I put the brackets onto the Pilot "loose" so I could still move the step around to get the final positioning the way I wanted it even though there isn't much play, then tightened the whole thing down. Make sure you have a 6 or 8 inch extension for your rachet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I put the side steps on yesterday evening and it took just over an hour. Of course, I cheated and used an air wrench set on a low torque setting -- using a ratchet for all 48 bolts was gonna take too long. :D Turns out I spent nearly as much time tightening each bolt with a torque wrench then actually putting together the brackets and mounting the steps. This is definitely a DIY project as long as you have a ratchet, 13mm socket, 13mm open-end or box-end wrench, 6" or 8" extension, and a torque wrench (better safe than sorry, but maybe not absolutely necessary). If you don't use a torque wrench be careful -- the bolts are only supposed to be tightened to 20 ft lbs.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Art said:
Has anyone installed the Honda side steps themself? If so, was it easy?...
Yeah, it's not too difficult. Here's a tip for the installation and some install photos. ;)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Honda side steps

tim.s said:
Yeah, it's not too difficult. Here's a tip for the installation and some install photos. ;)
Those look great Tim...thanks...

:29:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did mine... the old fashion way, no power tools. Took me about 3 hours install mine and another 30 minutes to make some adjustments. One tip for you.... don't tighten any bolts until you have the correct placement of your side step. Makes life much easier... otherwise you have to loosen and tighten again. My biggest hang up... was getting those brakets under the car. Didn't want to go in easy. The end result is nice though.... Chrome OEM Side Steps.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Close up...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vluu21 said:
Close up...
Lookin good.......maybe I should consider those.....they'd look good on black. Wonder about rusting though. Can you attach the first pic again. It doesn't show completely (at least on my computer).

:cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great, a cool looking chrome ss on a silver pilot! Please post more pix as I am seriously leaning towards the chrome ss for my silver pilot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are more pictures of my ride in the member galleries.... under my user name: vluu21

I tell you one thing... it definitely sets my Silver Pilot from anyone elses. There are tons of Silver Pilots around my way... but so far, I haven't seen any other Pilots with the chrome SS. Probably soon... I won't be the only one. :mad:

Here's one more....

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Haven't received my Pilot yet....can't recall the height........are these really neccessary?Are you guys really using these to get in and out fo the pilot?

·
Registered
43 Posts
vadim_s said:
Hey vluu21, do you know if these sidesteps are the same side steps that go on the MDX?
They look awfully familiar.
These may be the same type as the MDX, but it is made for the Honda Pilot. It has the "Pilot" on the plastic step.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PADZZ said:
Haven't received my Pilot yet....can't recall the height........are these really neccessary?Are you guys really using these to get in and out fo the pilot?
I'm 6 "2"... so I don't really use them, but my wife does. Plus, I think we spent the extra $$ for the chrome b/c it gives off a nice look to the Silver color.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PADZZ said:
I think most get them just to dress the Pilot up a bit. Well, at least that's why I want them. My kids may use them to climb in, but they don't ride in it much, for now.

:29:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's a close up of the chrome side step. Notice the word "Pilot" on the plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK, if they're just for asthetics, I think I'll pass. I put some on my truck (see sig...4X4) but they're needed.

I hate the wait. Still have about 10 more days to go til it's here.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts