Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Seems the class action settlement only covers models through 2013. What changed with 2014 model? Did something change in the engine design or VCM that protects against failures seen in 2013 and earlier models? Looking at used Pilots and wondering if there is a significant advantage to going with a 2014 and later model years? Thanks Matt

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Seems the class action settlement only covers models through 2013. What changed with 2014 model? Did something change in the engine design or VCM that protects against failures seen in 2013 and earlier models? Looking at used Pilots and wondering if there is a significant advantage to going with a 2014 and later model years? Thanks Matt
I can't see anything that's changed significantly. It may just be that those were the only model years being discussed at the time of the lawsuit, or newer models were excluded because issues hadn't arose on them yet. I can tell you that there have been reported misfires and ring jobs on both 2014 and 2015 models already. Is there a significant advantage? I doubt it since the technology doesn't look any different to me. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone had any more recent experience around this? A dealer service centers better informed on this issue and are they remedying the issues better rather than just going for a band-aid approach? I bought a 2013 Pilot EX-L a couple weeks ago and, honestly, if I had been aware of this issue I would have looked at other vehicles in this class. Only has 42,000 miles on it and I checked the oil and it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. Added five quarts of oil. Wife was driving yesterday and noticed what appeared to be an engine "cough" and black smoke come out the tail pipes. Now I'm setting up an appointment at a dealer service center and am interested in other folks' experiences.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I realize no one responded to my last query on this, but maybe now someone can answer a question I have. Back in January wife took the Pilot into the the local dealer and there were no diagnostic codes and they couldn't get the car to repeat what my wife experienced, so nothing done. They did not charge, so that was a plus. Since then I had an oil change and put in 5w-20 synthetic and have been using Redline treatment routinely as a prophylactic. Yesterday, with my wife down in Florida, Cylinder 1 misfired (P301 code). She was able to get to the local Honda dealer and they looked at it this morning. Senior Tech said it just needed a replacement spark plug, nothing else (asked about computer software upgrade, etc.). I still thought it should be covered under the TSB around this whole issue, but the Maintenance Manager said they looked the VIN up and even though it is a 2013, the VIN does not show it covered by that TSB or the Settlement agreement. Does anyone know why this would be? I really didn't want to argue with the Service Manager over the phone and really appreciated what they did to get my wife in and out as she needs to be back home later today. Before I contact Honda Regional or Corporate I thought I would ask if anyone here had any ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
BUMP for this,

I have a 2013 EXL with 70K on it, have not experienced this, but would appreciate some updates on this Warranty extension from HONDA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm adding my comment to keep the information current...2015 Honda Pilot 75Kmiles....engine was sputtering, flashing transmission lights etc (Dec 2019) ...got the P0302 code for cylinder 2 misfire...took it to a local mechanic who said that I had spark plug fouling on the number 2 and 4 cylinder. It appears the V-6 engine has not been fixed and the the TSB is just a patch to a shoddy engine design. I called Honda America and have taken my car to the dealership so they can run a diagnostic check. I am hoping that Honda does the right thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For what its worth

I just got rid of my 2010 Pilot with 260,000kms (161,500 mi)
Never did any mods for Eco or disable it etc. (Stock setup)

At 130,000kms spark plug in cylinder #1 broke off a small piece of the ceramic tip which threw a misfire code and the dash light up. Was on vacation with trailer. Drove home, another $700kms.
Dealer replaced spark plug. Drove another 130,000kms with no issues. However engine ticking noise was getting quite loud. I assume it needed value adjusting. Valve adj was supposed to be done by dealer during time belt change.

So moral of story is... some engines take abuse and keep going.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm adding my comment to keep the information current...2015 Honda Pilot 75Kmiles....engine was sputtering, flashing transmission lights etc (Dec 2019) ...got the P0302 code for cylinder 2 misfire...took it to a local mechanic who said that I had spark plug fouling on the number 2 and 4 cylinder. It appears the V-6 engine has not been fixed and the the TSB is just a patch to a shoddy engine design. I called Honda America and have taken my car to the dealership so they can run a diagnostic check. I am hoping that Honda does the right thing.
it turns out I have spark fouling on both the number 2 spark plug and 4. The Honda service shop has fixed the problem per the TSB but Honda has denied my claim for reimbursement. I made sure the dealership added a note in my file saying they applied the TSB 13-082 to my car. I will submit a letter to HONDA America and give them one last chance to do what is fair and then I will take it into small claims court. The total cost to apply the TSB to my 2015 Honda pilot was 3K.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts