Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proposed power-train warranty extension

Came across a news item today I've not seen posted in any of the forums. A class action lawsuit settlement has taken place in a California court involving engine damage caused by engine misfire in Honda V6 engines with VCM. It includes all Honda '09-'13 Pilots (also other Honda vehicles). If the settlement is approved by the court in March of '14, an included remedy would be the extension of the power-train warranty (engine only) to 8 years. Details can be seen at Client Settlement Site > Home

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Came across a news item today I've not seen posted in any of the forums. A class action lawsuit settlement has taken place in a California court involving engine damage caused by engine misfire in Honda V6 engines with VCM. It includes all Honda '09-'13 Pilots (also other Honda vehicles). If the settlement is approved by the court in March of '14, an included remedy would be the extension of the power-train warranty (engine only) to 8 years. Details can be seen at Client Settlement Site > Home
Interesting.....I have not seen it in our newspapers here. Another nice payday for the legal counsel, too ($800,000 max). Hopefully, I am not a future beneficiary of the type of incident this claim was filed for.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Nice. Our 2013 Pilot runs very smooth with no VCM vibration at all and no oil burning. We still get the extended 8yr p-train warranty with NO mileage limitation. We put 25K a year on our Pilot and keep vehicles 7-9 years. I contemplated a HondaCare extended warranty but didn't get one because we hit the mileage limit way before the time limit. I doubt we will ever need the powertrain warranty based on past Pilot experience (155K on a 2005), but it is nice to have, especially for free. Of course it is not official until the final 3/21/2014 hearing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am reading the .PDF's proposed settlement and it appears the "extended" warranty only covers failures related to misfires and the corresponding DTC codes. It doesn't look like the extension has the same coverage of the 5 year / 60k miles powertrain warranty.

We will find out when it becomes official in a few months.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i think that if your vehichle DOES have the problem burning through oil, that it will start to screw up the rest of the rest of the engine well before you reach 60k.
In those instances, honda will probably quietly fix the issue if they notice anything during your vehicle's next servicing.
They are trying to avoid the labor costs involved with physically tearing down and rebuilding a million+ engines just to inspect them, in the hopes that the number of actual engines needing replacement will cost less (or at least not break down until the first moth of year 9)

i only drive about 9k/year, and a good 3500 of that is deductible as business mileage

·
Registered
26 Posts
This Powertain Warranty extension? It covers 3 spark plugs and a software update, nothing else. The 3 other plugs and fuel injector cleaning I was responsible for. Just had my 2010 fixed. Honda made out better than I did.

·
Registered
119 Posts
From the settlement:

“The repair invoice or other documentation indicates that the repair(s) or replacement(s) were performed in connection with the Settlement Class Vehicle’s generating the following Diagnostic trouble codes (“DTC”) P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304”

“01” means cylinder number 1, 02 – 2 etc. So cylinders 1 thru 4 are covered. These are the ones that are cycled out during VCM. Apparently 5 and 6 fire all of the time preventing the oil leak, plug fouling and other damage that can occur to the cylinder walls.

I’m pretty sure this is the numbering layout:

Front seat
1 2 3
4 5 6
Front bumper

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the code for number 1 at about 130k miles on my 2009. It was a fouled plug. I replaced it and moved the coil to a different position so if it happens again I can rule out the coil if it number 1, or if the problem follows the coil I'll look at that. It has been about 11,000 miles since I replaced it. so far so good. Since about 100k miles I'm using a quart every 3k miles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If I had been the plaintiff in this lawsuit, I would have demanded Honda to come up with a software update to be able to DISABLE VCM for anyone who would like that done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes i agree~!

If I had been the plaintiff in this lawsuit, I would have demanded Honda to come up with a software update to be able to DISABLE VCM for anyone who would like that done.
I've got the problem in my 2009 Accord, and have a dealer apt tomorrow am. I would LOVE to disable the VCM and run on all 6 cylinders and get an estimated ONE MPG less [26 mpg in stead of 27 mpg].
I'm betting Federal Emission regs prevent the Honda dealer from doing this. Pre VCM Honda V6's go 300K miles no problem.
I WOULD replace my #3 plug but am going to 'not touch' it until after the dealer checks my engine out. I guess they will inspect the spark plug of #3 and possibly check compression in the cylinder???
Wow, my misfire occurred during hour 4 of a 6 hour trip on vacation. No codes were made as I got to my destination [the beach] and had a shop check codes. On trip back a wrench light came on and a visit [after running on 5 cylinders on trip back] showed a trouble code of #3 cylinder misfiring.
I"ve been running on D3 transmission setting to prevent ECO from activating.
SEEMS TO ME THAT SHUTTING DOWN THE VCM ALTOGETHER WOULD BE A SAFE FIX WITH LITTLE LOSS OF FUEL MILAGE!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've got the problem in my 2009 Accord, and have a dealer apt tomorrow am. I would LOVE to disable the VCM and run on all 6 cylinders and get an estimated ONE MPG less [26 mpg in stead of 27 mpg].
I'm betting Federal Emission regs prevent the Honda dealer from doing this. Pre VCM Honda V6's go 300K miles no problem.
I WOULD replace my #3 plug but am going to 'not touch' it until after the dealer checks my engine out. I guess they will inspect the spark plug of #3 and possibly check compression in the cylinder???
Wow, my misfire occurred during hour 4 of a 6 hour trip on vacation. No codes were made as I got to my destination [the beach] and had a shop check codes. On trip back a wrench light came on and a visit [after running on 5 cylinders on trip back] showed a trouble code of #3 cylinder misfiring.
I"ve been running on D3 transmission setting to prevent ECO from activating.
SEEMS TO ME THAT SHUTTING DOWN THE VCM ALTOGETHER WOULD BE A SAFE FIX WITH LITTLE LOSS OF FUEL MILAGE!!!
The best fix to date seems to be a mod to trick the engine into thinking it's running at below operating temp. The user verbatim came up with it and I'm sure it can be modified to accommodate the Accord as well. Check out his thread for details: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2012-2015-pilot/70873-vcm-disable-new-better-way.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
wARRANTY

Gents,

I have a 2009 Pilot that recently experienced an engine fault, there was me thinking an emissions senor issue and a quick fix!
Honda have had the car for some weeks and required to drop the engine and strip it, yippee they applied to Honda and a Warranty claim was awarded.
now i'm in Oman and English is not the spoken language but i did manage to gain it was a new Engine block required and it was a 8 years unlimited warranty failure..

with that he added it would cost me around $750..

my question is What parts will the warranty cover, or will they strip my engine using existing parts. The timing belt should be new, and if so the water pump and associated bearings, your not telling me they are going to tease the old ones off..

when questioned about the charge the dealership mentioned the possibility of a head skim, oils and consumables.... Really

anyone out there shed some light on this...

regards

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fouled cylinders / powertrain warranty extension

:confused: This is my first time in a forum so hopefully I don't tick anybody off. At 88K miles my 2010 Pilot had a problem w/#2 cylinder fouling. They replaced plugs and did Honda software update for no charge under extended warranty from class action settlement.

Soto et al V American Honda, case # 3:12-cv-1377-SI (N.D. Cal).

It just happened again at 99K miles, on cylinder #4 this time. Now dealer is going to replace rings... on cyl #2,3 & 4. They are recommending a valve adjustment at my cost for $432 (which they say is discounted off regular price of $690). I suggested that I thought they should have to re-adjust valves on both cyl heads as part of the ring replacements on both cyl banks. They said that re-adjusting the valves after the ring job was elective but that I should have that done...for $432. Shouldn't they be adjusting the valves as part of the ring replacement?

·
Registered
557 Posts
:confused: This is my first time in a forum so hopefully I don't tick anybody off. At 88K miles my 2010 Pilot had a problem w/#2 cylinder fouling. They replaced plugs and did Honda software update for no charge under extended warranty from class action settlement.

Soto et al V American Honda, case # 3:12-cv-1377-SI (N.D. Cal).

It just happened again at 99K miles, on cylinder #4 this time. Now dealer is going to replace rings... on cyl #2,3 & 4. They are recommending a valve adjustment at my cost for $432 (which they say is discounted off regular price of $690). I suggested that I thought they should have to re-adjust valves on both cyl heads as part of the ring replacements on both cyl banks. They said that re-adjusting the valves after the ring job was elective but that I should have that done...for $432. Shouldn't they be adjusting the valves as part of the ring replacement?
They could avoid adjusting the valves, yes, as it is a SOHC unit and the head, cam, and valvetrain come off and go on as a unit.

Adjusting the valves was recommended at the 105K service along with timing belt on older Pilots, not sure about yours. It is a service many get away with avoiding but occasionally someone has performance problems or even a burnt valve from failure to adjust.

What the dealer is trying to do is recover some costs/make some profit, since Honda pays them rock bottom for recall work. You can have the same job done at a reputable independent shop for $275-$325.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK. I replied in a thread here asking "if anyone had 200K miles on their Honda Pilot?". I have just gone over 140K miles on my 2010 EX-L Pilot and I recently had issues that relate to this warranty extension. At about 139K miles (a month or so ago) I had CEL and VTM and VSA lights illuminate (with no noticeable performance change). Took to my (non-Honda) local auto shop where they checked my oil - I had noted after the lights that the level was to the bottom of the dipstick, showing, but at the bottom. No previous oil usage. The shop gave me the several-page Honda warranty extension program notice, added oil (actually, they did an oil change), and replaced the No. 1 plug, and gave/showed it to me. Nearly burned off tip and oil-fouled! They said the CEL was due to No. 1 plug failure. They suggested I take to nearest Honda Dealer, which I did on a Friday. Gary Smith Honda took the SUV in on the next workday, Monday, and gave it back to me at the end of the day. They apparently changed Plugs 1-4 and "updated" the PCM software. As I understand the issue, it's not so much that the 2 or 3 cylinders don't fire when the engine is not under heavy load (ECM - to improve mileage), but that the problem is that piston rings and oil seal gaps aren't properly aligned allowing oil into the cylinder head that causes the problem. I was essentially told to "drive it and watch it." (That was my take.) What the Service Manager actually told me was that "the problem is fixed." (We will see.) Anyway, the Honda has been no problem for the many miles...I drive at or 5 to less-than-10 mph over the speed limit usually. I watch fuel consumption and 'try for' the ECM light and see if if I can keep it on. Mileage on highway - and most of the driving is on highway, or long distance on secondary roads (that I prefer). I have towed a few U-hauls when moving from VA to FL in 2011-2012. All maintenance (from the book) has been done - oil charges regularly for engines and gear boxes, timing chain and belts on time, etc. Just did new ceramic brake shoes and disc pads and replaced front rotors with a service (for $900+). This, just FYI. Since the "plug change and PCM update" last month, I've traveled FL to NC and return (1,400 miles). I am headed up to NE and back mid-month (2,900 miles). We will see how that goes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts