Japanese newspaper. It says the hybrid drivetrain, which
combines a piston engine and electric motor, is expected
to improve fuel economy by as much as 40% and improve
acceleration up to 20% over the same vehicle powered by
just a piston engine.

Hybrids offer such improvements by switching between
two power sources depending upon which one is more fuelefficient
for driving conditions at the moment—or combining
both sources during moments of hard acceleration.
Honda’s new hybrid vehicle will be the company’s
largest yet and mirrors Toyota Motor Corp.’s plans to
debut a hybrid V-6 version of its RX 330 SUV next year.
That’s about when the first U.S. hybrid vehicles will debut.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Cool! The MDX already has some really impressive environmental engineering (see here)--now it will get great gas mileage too. Also, Ford's little SUV is supposed to offer a hybrid version in fleet sales this year and in consumer sales next year.

Question 1: Do these hybrid vehicles also use the braking power conservation technology or is that a totally separate kind of system?

Question 2: Are these hybrid technologies ready for prime time, or should we still expect prices to come down and reliability to improve dramatically over the next few years?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
robrecht said:

Question 1: Do these hybrid vehicles also use the braking power conservation technology or is that a totally separate kind of system?

Question 2: Are these hybrid technologies ready for prime time, or should we still expect prices to come down and reliability to improve dramatically over the next few years?
1) Yes they use some regenerative braking, but not as much as a system that has direct motor drive of the wheels.

2) Yes, and Yes.
They are ready for prime time, and they will improve in opperation and cost for about the next 100 years.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
N_Jay said:
2) Yes, and Yes.
They are ready for prime time, and they will improve in opperation and cost for about the next 100 years. [/B]
Thanks, N_Jay!

About how much will this technology currently add to the cost of a car? Care to speculate? I'm just interested in a general amount or range.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
robrecht said:
Thanks, N_Jay!

About how much will this technology currently add to the cost of a car? Care to speculate? I'm just interested in a general amount or range.
Start with the % increase for a Hybrid Civic over a standard Civic, then add the loss in profit for Honda (hidden cost to the consumer), then add the cost for replacement batteries (about once in the life of the vehicle), then add the lost utility of the storage area used by the batteries.

In my humble opinion, not worth it, unless you add in the tax break and the use of HOV lanes.

But every year it will get to be less of a cost difference.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Twinkie said:
I think I will wait for the Hydrogen Hummer :1:
But where do you get the hydrogen, and at what expense ($ and environmental cost)? Hydrogen sounds good for politicians, but it seems like the science isn't there yet.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
robrecht said:
But where do you get the hydrogen, .
fill car with water...it coverts to hydrogen :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Drat, if I had known that Honda was coming out with a hybrid SUV, I would have waited. :( I was going to wait for the hybrid RX330, but then I saw how small the SUV was already and how poor the visibility was and went for the Pilot. Well, when this Pilot wears out in another 200K miles, I'll get the hybrid then.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
ramirami said:
fill car with water...it coverts to hydrogen :2: :2: :2:
Or you could just drive to the Sun to fill up there every week, but either way, the conversion or the space travel involved is expensive and impractical and may involve environmental adverse effects comparable to the current technology.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts