Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a used 2019 touring. But worried about the ZF-9 speed transmission issue.

The Honda dealer can get the used 2019 certified for CAD $300. And that'll extend the power train warranty to end of 2025.

I can buy bumper to bumper for 8 years for CAD $4000.

Is it really that necessary to get bumper to bumper? Is the 9 speed transmission issue really that bad?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
The transmission was improved for 2019. I have and recommend the bumper to bumper supplemental coverage simply for all the other stuff. My 2019 has been to the dealer four times for the speaker crackling noise that many others have experienced.

Reactions: Hoho

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue is..... comprehensive for 8 years is almost CAD $4000. Power train for 7 years is only CAD $300.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I don't know how extended warranties work in Canada, but I would try shopping around. In the US there are Honda dealers who sell the warranties online for half what most local dealers charge. Unfortunately, in my state I cannot do this. FL has a law which holds us hostage and we can only buy from an in-state dealer and have to pay top dollar.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Consumers buying waranty to cover a manufacture defect, malfunction, break down etc. just drives me crazy. I know cars age but it sure doesn't urge a car maker put a better product on the street. Yes, I understand that you want to protect yourself. ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Unfortunately, in my state I cannot do this. FL has a law which holds us hostage and we can only buy from an in-state dealer and have to pay top dollar.
Fortunately, your comments are incorrect.

There's another thread on this subject, Florida Hondacare, that I would encourage you to read.

To be honest, buying the extended warranty online was the easiest part of my entire transaction and took a total of ten minutes.

TLDR - As a Florida resident you just need an out of state address for them to send the original paperwork to.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Fortunately, your comments are incorrect.

There's another thread on this subject, Florida Hondacare, that I would encourage you to read.

To be honest, buying the extended warranty online was the easiest part of my entire transaction and took a total of ten minutes.

TLDR - As a Florida resident you just need an out of state address for them to send the original paperwork to.
So, TLDR - there's a way around it. I may look into that. I can certainly use an out of state address. Thanks for the information.

My previous Pilot was purchased as a CPO with a wraparound warranty 2 weeks before I moved to FL. When I bought a car down here for the first time, a Toyota, I found out about the whole FL extended warranty issue - none of the online Toyota dealers would sell me a warranty. I got around it in that case by buying a warranty in person from the Toyota dealer in PA that my father uses. I They told me as long as the car was physically at the dealership, they could sell me the warranty. So, I took the car up there when I visited my parents and bought my warranty. The money saved more than paid for the trip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wonder if I buy in USA, does it work in Canada?
Hoho, you may want to check with the company that provides the warranty, some require within the same state.
If you want to save some money, go with the Powertrain warranty as that is the most important. You can get the bumper to bumper warranty with other providers such as the bank that will do your car loan or even better a Credit Union if you are a Member of one by you.
At least compare the pricing and what exactly is covered, you will be surprised.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,983 Posts
Consumers buying waranty to cover a manufacture defect, malfunction, break down etc. just drives me crazy. I know cars age but it sure doesn't urge a car maker put a better product on the street. Yes, I understand that you want to protect yourself. ?
Many times the warranty that is bought isn't to cover the manufacture, it is to cover the buyer/driver. A large amount of vehicle mechanical issues can be traced back to owner/driver, driving habits and or care of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I recommend that you ask for a detailed list of what are covered under the comprehensive warranty. I have the Honda extended warranty 6 years/100,000 km warranty but when I took it to a dealer and they charged a diagnostic fee before telling you whether it is covered or not. If covered, then you don’t pay for that. You can’t just ask them and see covered or not, they will tell you there are hundreds of pages on the list. You will always risk of paying for a diagnostic fees when you bring up some issue. Don’t just take the “it covers almost everything” for an answer. As in my case, it doesn’t seem it cover much if there is no power train issue. $4,000 is not a huge fees to pay if it actually covers “bumper to bumper”. Good luck. My personal experience with Honda warranty is not a very pleasant one. Hope yours will be different.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Many times the warranty that is bought isn't to cover the manufacture, it is to cover the buyer/driver. A large amount of vehicle mechanical issues can be traced back to owner/driver, driving habits and or care of the vehicle.
It's the 3/36 that gets me. Your arm twisted at signing to finance an extended waranty plan. Once people started signing these it became the norm for them to make extra profit. I don't play this game anymore.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
425 Posts
Once people started signing these it became the norm for them to make extra profit. I don't play this game anymore.
I'm with you...Honda or any other 3rd party would not be offering extended warranties if there wasn't any profit in it. And also the diagnostic fees and deductibles will get you too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Many have had great experiences with the 9 speed. The newer software updates make it even better. I would not worry. However, if you seek peace of mind, sure buy a warranty. $4k Canadian sounds very expensive. We bought an aftermarket warranty for $1300 for 8 years and 120k miles. I would not have bought but wife will only drive a car with warranty so it’s cheaper than trading in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts