Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone having trouble with the walk away lock feature with their honda pilot. i have a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L about 28,000 miles, i recently have a problem with my walk away lock feature. i just notice it sometime last month that it's not working but just ignored it and now i have this message on my dashboard saying keyless system start problem which i youtube/googled it and they all replaced the on/off start switch. so i replaced the on/off start switch but the problems still not working for my walk away lock feature. i don't want to take it to the dealership as i know then will try and charge you an arm/leg for it. just wanted to know if anyone is affected by this and how to resolve this. I was going to unhook the battery terminal and see if that fix the problem, but i will wait until i get an answer. thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does it work with the other keyfobs? Have you replaced the keyfob battery recently?

No other problems besides this? Keyless works fine and you don't have any messages/lights?

Unhooking the battery won't hurt, but it may not help. As you probably know, disconnect the negative to avoid accidental shorting.

Good luck. There are some diagnostic tables I may be able to send you, but a lot of times they either need the Honda scan tool, or they end along the lines of replacing an expensive module. But let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same prolem with my too. I got the dealer to replace the stop start button since it still under warranty, but the walk away lock still not working. I will make an appointment for this week to see what's the problem is and I will post it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it work with the other keyfobs? Have you replaced the keyfob battery recently?

No other problems besides this? Keyless works fine and you don't have any messages/lights?

Unhooking the battery won't hurt, but it may not help. As you probably know, disconnect the negative to avoid accidental shorting.

Good luck. There are some diagnostic tables I may be able to send you, but a lot of times they either need the Honda scan tool, or they end along the lines of replacing an expensive module. But let us know what you find out.
Everything else works fine just the walk away feature lock is not working.. I haven’t change the battery yet in the fob but I will do that today and also try out the second key that i have not use yet..... no lights on the dash everything is good.... I’ve also called Honda and they quoted me like $180 not including tax for reprogramming

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought the dash would let you know when your keyfob battery is low, so maybe try the other keyfob first since it is doubtful that both batteries would decide to die at the same time. Might save the price of the battery (some of those aren't cheap!).

Good luck. I don't use that function, so I'm interested what you find out in case my wife ever decides she wants to try it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the dash would let you know when your keyfob battery is low, so maybe try the other keyfob first since it is doubtful that both batteries would decide to die at the same time. Might save the price of the battery (some of those aren't cheap!).

Good luck. I don't use that function, so I'm interested what you find out in case my wife ever decides she wants to try it.
I tried the other key but it’s still not working I even tried putting new battery and still not working.... soooo my next step is to try and unhook the battery terminals and see would that work if not then either I have to bring it in and reprogram it or just leave it alone as it is..... I’ll update you about it

·
Registered
12 Posts
How did it go with fixing the keyless entry error? My 16 just started flashing the same. Was planning to call dealership this week and make use of my extended warranty...would like to point the mechanic in the right direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did it go with fixing the keyless entry error? My 16 just started flashing the same. Was planning to call dealership this week and make use of my extended warranty...would like to point the mechanic in the right direction. View attachment 135749
I had the same problem, all I did was replace the on/off push start and it solve the problem but my walk away feature is not working maybe I have to reprogram the key fob but that will cost me like $180. I haven’t try taking off the battery terminal yet but I will later on

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey so I just unhook my batter today and see would it fix the problem with my walk away auto lock feature.... it’s not working 😩 so my next resort is to bring it to a mechanic shop and have them try and hook up the scan tool and see if they can fix it, if not I don’t really want to reprogram my key fob and that would cost me $180 not including tax 😩 Guess I’ll just have to lock it manually on my key fob if my last resort don’t work.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did it go with fixing the keyless entry error? My 16 just started flashing the same. Was planning to call dealership this week and make use of my extended warranty...would like to point the mechanic in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The engine switch has to be replaced ! I have a 2016 Honda Pilot XL- just got it back yesterday from Honda service in Burnaby. My transmission had to be replaced - under warranty- when I took the vehicle in last week I also pointed out my keyless remote system problem light was on! I brought in both fobs , they initially told me they just had to be reprogrammed . When I picked up my vehicle the transmission was replaced , the starter switch was replaced at no cost - I was told it was $495.00 -and 1 of my remotes needed a new battery. It seems to be a defect with the 2016 Pilot- they should have a recall on them since it’s the first year of the newer model and there’s going to be glitches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did it go with fixing the keyless entry error? My 16 just started flashing the same. Was planning to call dealership this week and make use of my extended warranty...would like to point the mechanic in the right direction. View attachment 135749
If your car only has 33,000 kilometres and it’s showing problems like this - your dealer has to stand behind their product! I had mine replaced at no cost! It seems like a lot of 2016 Pilot have this problem -

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same prolem with my too. I got the dealer to replace the stop start button since it still under warranty, but the walk away lock still not working. I will make an appointment for this week to see what's the problem is and I will post it up.
Everything else works fine just the walk away feature lock is not working.. I haven’t change the battery yet in the fob but I will do that today and also try out the second key that i have not use yet..... no lights on the dash everything is good.... I’ve also called Honda and they quoted me like $180 not including tax for reprogramming
did you guys figure this out? I just swapped out the ignition switch but my auto lock walk away still doesnt work on my 2016 touring.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Hey so I just unhook my batter today and see would it fix the problem with my walk away auto lock feature.... it’s not working 😩 so my next resort is to bring it to a mechanic shop and have them try and hook up the scan tool and see if they can fix it, if not I don’t really want to reprogram my key fob and that would cost me $180 not including tax 😩 Guess I’ll just have to lock it manually on my key fob if my last resort don’t work.....
I'm sorry, but the last sentence in your post? I happened to find that quite funny. I realize this is the reason for your post, but,

OH, THE HUMANITY!

1st world problem- now slumming like the rest of us who have to push a button to lock their vehicle.

I wouldn't suppose you are old enough to have lived when there was NO KEY FOB?

·
Registered
2 Posts

exact same priblem.. 2 years now. I have taken it 2 times to honda. They reset the codes but that only lasts a few hours.. so I am putting up with warning light and having to push to lock..6th honda vehicle probably last.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
did you guys figure this out? I just swapped out the ignition switch but my auto lock walk away still doesnt work on my 2016 touring.
Did you replace it with the genuine Honda part or did you use an el cheapo Chinese knock off? The cheapo ones don't work with all the features.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
It was genuine from hondapartguys
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting to reset the system. It has worked for some here. You may have to go into vehicle settings and re-enable the walk away locking after doing the battery reset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting to reset the system. It has worked for some here. You may have to go into vehicle settings and re-enable the walk away locking after doing the battery reset.
Edit: disconnected the negative terminal for 5 mins and still not locking when walking away... the system settings were set to enable. I disabled it, turned car off then on and re enabled it but still not working.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts