Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into upgrading the brakes beyond pads & rotor material? Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone has explored bracket solutions for larger rotors. I've seen one single company that makes big brake kits (yellow racing), but I haven't seen anything on just making a solution for simply allowing larger brake rotors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stoptech makes rotors for us. I actually have them on order. They also have a process called "Cryo" that improves rotor life and prevents any cracking of the rotor. I have used this set up many times on other vehicles with good results and noticeable braking improvement. I will report back after the install.....

Personally, I was unable to find any braided brake line kits w/o going fully custom. No larger brake kits that I could find. Besides, I don't think I'd monkey with that again. I just did $8K worth of Baer brakes on my 2018 Denali and it was a nightmare of problems to finally get it right.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
bump. I am looking for new pads and rotors. I have Hawk HPS 5.0 on my Subaru and like them very much. I think I'm going to test out the HAWK
HIGH PERFORMANCE STREET 5.0 BRAKE PADS with my "go to" rotor of the CENTRIC PLAIN 120 SERIES ROTORS. I've never understood why you'd want drilled or slotted rotors. The more surface area the better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never understood why you'd want drilled or slotted rotors. The more surface area the better.
Just look on the Internet. Slotted rotors potentially improve braking consistency as the slots vent gases build up on the surface of the rotors. Cross drilled rotors run cooler, but are less durable and prone to cracking. As pad and rotor technology (metallurgy) have improved, drilled rotors are not the benefit they might have been. Race cars never use drilled rotors. Reportedly, drilled rotors work better in wet conditions.

In daily driving, you're not going to see any benefit as they don't improve stopping distance, just consistency under repeated having braking (like when you're lapping on a race track).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts