Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site. I was thinking about buying a 2017 Honda Pilot, Touring edition. I have always had Honda's from CRV's to Civics and always loved the reliablility of them. The Hondas I had were 2007 and below. This will be my first time looking into a newer Honda and was told by a lot of my friends and colleagues that Honda has lost a bit of their reputation with being reliable cars. This has scared me from buying the Honda Piliot Touring which has a 9 Speed transmission as I heard the transmissions arent great on the Pilots. This car will be for my family and I wanted something reliable. I really like the Pilot but I am afraid of any issues that may occur such as Transmission or engine.

Does Anyone have a 2017 Honda Pilot Touring that can give me some insight on if this car is reliable?

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
When we were looking for a used Pilot, we test drove a 2016 Touring with 80k kms on it and immediately after leaving the dealer parking lot, both my wife and I commented that the transmission was doing a lot more shifting than was necessary and you could really notice it. We returned it to the dealer and began looking for a 6 speed EXL as the 9 speed was just not for us.
We picked up a 16 EXL for half the price of a new one and we are pretty happy with it so far. The major issues with the 3rd gen Pilots seem to be fuel injectors, transmissions and glitches in some of the electronics. Fortunately for us, nothing major has happened yet. Installing a transmission cooler and frequent fluid changes seems to solve a lot of the transmission issues and using top grade 87 octane fuel seems to work better too. I think that Honda reliability has fallen a bit with this Gen3 and they are now on par with the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just like you i bought an 16 elite last year. Did my research and just like any car you buy it not bullet proof. Most if any will have its issue. It like playing the lottery you may get lucky or not on the one you buy. So far im happy with mine. No real issues with my 9 speed since i bought it. I dont have any real gear hunting since im light on my foot. At 80k now and so far i've done transmission, oil, rear diff, and transfer case change. I opt for the 7 seater and it easier to keep my 2 baby car seat and not have to move it to get other to the back roll.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2nd hand 2017 Pilot Touring, bought the end of December 2019 with 73,500 miles. It was replacing my 2006 Pilot with 213,000 miles (well serviced).
My only real complaint is the pandemic is keeping me from enjoying it. I burn regular gas at about 23 MPG. Have had no issues so far, but it has been a learning curve. Dealer fixed issue with LKAS, which was the camera had come loose from its mount. LKAS is one of my favorite features. The Auto Stop/Start (when at a stop light) has stopped working, but I didn't care for it all that much anyway. (There is a 'fix' to keep it off in the forums.) It is a wonderful road car, and capable for what little 'off road' (if you can even call it that) I've done. I'm eager to try it on New Jersey beaches (Sport Fishing) where my '06 did just fine. I'm less thrilled with Adaptive Cruise Control as it tends to brake when approaching an exiting vehicle at highway speed, but that also can be turned off to regular CC.

Over all I'm very happy with the purchase and look forward to many years of service.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife's daily driver is a 2017 Pilot Elite we bought new. Note that the Elite has the same 9-speed ZF transmission as the Touring edition. She has 41K miles on it and loves it. We haven't had any issues. The ZF transmission does have an unusual shifting feel at very low speed, although many people would never notice. I occasionally notice it shifting, but it's not the least bit annoying. My wife doesn't notice it at all.

In case it matters, the thing gets better gas mileage than I expected; 26+ MPG regularly. My RX350 is also a naturally aspirated six, and the Pilot is usually 4 MPG better than the RX.

Based on our experience, I have no trouble recommending the 2017 Pilot in the Elite or Touring trim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought a new 2017 pilot elite when it first came out. 30,000 miles and no issues thus far. Yes the shifting is funny at 30 mph or so but not always. Gas mileage is excellent. If I had one complaint it would be the ride over rough terrain, a bit harsh I would say.

new tires might remedy the issue, so we’ll see when we get there. Bought the 8 year 100,000 mile honda warranty so not worrying much for now.

good luck friend

w

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought 2016 touring with 94K mileage on June 2020. Now it is 100k. I never had an issue about the car and it is fun actually. AWD system is awesome. The problem is about maintenance costs. My car shows me B14 maintenance code and 4 means there are some serious items in the next maintenance list. Timing Belt and Valve Adjustments are most expensive of them. Just an example, I got quotes from two honda dealerships which are very close to my home. And the prices are below. So I am going to try to find some cheaper way for these items. is it too expensive?

Timing Belt 1.Dealer: $1399 2.Dealer: $1510
Valve Adjustment: 1.Dealer: $975 2.Dealer: $1100

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Those are some really high prices for the timing belt job. And unless you could hear valve clatter louder than it should be, there is no need to do a valve adjustment.
A good alternative to a dealership timing belt water pump job is having a trusted independent shop install an Aisin kit. This kit contains OEM supplier parts.
Approximate Online Parts Cost from RockAuto.
Aisin TKH002 - $180
Drive Belt, Bando 6PK1200 - $13
6 Spark Plugs, NGK Laser Iridiums 95350 - $83

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2017 Pilot Elite was very very reliable. No issues over 4 years. The 9 speed Tran was a little quirky but we soon adjusted.
Ovefall except for the trans I love it...

roy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts