Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced three of these actuators (2 front and 1 rear) over the weekend on a 2003 Pilot.

Expect to set aside at least 1-2 hours on the first replacement, lesser time on the ones afterwards. Be careful not to push parts in directions that they shouldn't be pushed in. Don't break any plastic parts/metal rods or connections - take your time.

1. Remove the plastic tab under the inner door latch.
2. Open the 2 small black colored screws.
3. Carefully swing the door latch attachment out by moving it down and out. Remove the rod and the electrical connection - there's a slot to press and pull-out.
4. Use a flat screw driver to carefully pry the window opening plastic area (its one piece and includes the cup holder). Remove the electrical connection - there's a slot to press and pull-out. Open the screw beneath the arm rest.
5. Use a flat tool (I used a metal putty 5-in-1 tool) to slide between the door metal and plastic areas - pull the plastic buttons/connections off, you'll hear them pop. Slide the door out.
6. Gently open the white plastic sheet about a quarter of the way from the top right down so you can reach in the actuator area (near the door latch - at the end of door with 3 screws). Open the window guardrail, if its in the way - use a 3/8 bolt.
7. Use correct amount of force, without stripping them, open the 3 screws at the door latch.
8. Take a good look at the connections inside. Open the electrical connections (two of them) on the lock actuator.
9. Gently but forcefully (without breaking any plastic or other parts), push the metal connectors back and carefully remove the door lock actuator assembly from the door.
10. Replace with new actuator and assemble in reverse.

To Yeshua be the Glory!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great writeup!

It appears you replaced the right rear (passenger) side actuator.

Do you happen to know the part #?
I ask because my Wifes Pilot needs the RR actuator done and all the part #s I see are for the right front only.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Great writeup!

It appears you replaced the right rear (passenger) side actuator.

Do you happen to know the part #?
I ask because my Wifes Pilot needs the RR actuator done and all the part #s I see are for the right front only.

Jeff
Just look it up on HondaPartsNow.com. This way you can either search by your vehicle specific info, or even your vin number. Sometimes they change things and part numbers could be different from one year to another

It's a very good site to look stuff up on...

Once you have part numbers, you can order parts with free shipping over on G1Parts.com. It's another Honda dealership, but their website is very hard to find parts on if you don't have the part number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys,
Just got done replacing the right rear actuator on my '04 Pilot EX. It took a little over an hour to do.
The hardest part was getting the three screws loose that hold the actuator to the door.
I used an impact driver after I tried a #3 philips head unsuccessfully.

For anyone doing the job and wanting to get an aftermarket piece Standard Ignition
DLA129 is the correct part # for the RR door. Even though it says LX model only it fits the EX just like OE. It can be had for under $30.00.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just look it up on HondaPartsNow.com. This way you can either search by your vehicle specific info, or even your vin number. Sometimes they change things and part numbers could be different from one year to another

It's a very good site to look stuff up on...

Once you have part numbers, you can order parts with free shipping over on G1Parts.com. It's another Honda dealership, but their website is very hard to find parts on if you don't have the part number.
94eg!,
Thanks for the links and the info.

I bookmarked these for future use.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined the forum after reading this write up. I want that Ikb179.

I just completed this replacement on the right front door. Your description and pictures were a perfect guide. Dealer wanted $330-$365 to do it. I ordered online and it came to $51 with shipping and handling.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actuator replacement

I'm in the middle of my replacement, and it is a lot tougher (for me, anyway) than it seemed. Finally got the acuator out, and when I went to replace it with the new one, the brass plate mechanism on the latch separated from the latch body, and I have no idea how it goes back together (see attached photo). I have two more to replace. Can anyone help, or is it time to turn it over to the dealership and eat crow (and a bunch of money)?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks for the write up, hopefully i won't have to do it (knock on wood)

i did this on my 2002 Lexus GS300 and it was a pain on that car, glad the pilots acuators are more reasonable though, the GS300 ones where like 150 used, each i forgot how much new was.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
removing the three screws is a PITA and easily said than done. no amount of screwdriver design or shape can remove it once tightened. that is why, I just drill the head out and remove the base each time I do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Figured it all out

Finally got mye two rear actuators replaced. I had to remove the left side one to make sure I put the right side one back together correctly after it fell apart during repalcement, then continued with the left side replacement. As for the three screws holding the latch to the door, after reading these posts (and nearly stripping the first screw with a #2 phillips head screwdriver), I went to Home Depot and purchased a #3 phillips bit ($4) and a Ryobi impact drill/driver ($69). I sprayed some WD 40 onto the screw heads, let it seep in for a minute, and pushed hard on the screw with the impact drill and let it do its magic. Took about 5 seconds for each screw, but they then came out easlily. Never using an impact drill before, but am now a convert. First actuator took about three hours to replace, next two about 35 minutes each. My thanks to the original poster for the pictures and tips; I would be glad to help with any insights I learned if anyone is attempting the replacement of the actuators (front and back).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you take a picture by chance of the put together door lock? I did the same thing on my 2003 Pilot. I had 3 locks go out (not all at once), both driver sides and the front passenger. The locking mechanism came apart on the rear driver side. Went on to the front driver side which was a piece of cake, but NOT the same parts. DO not want to take apart rear passenger as it is not broken (yet) but I do not have a replacement part at the moment. Sill keep looking for a picture or diagram. Thx!

·
Banned
33 Posts
Just replace the actuator off of my 06 pilot. And best way to remove them 3 screws is simply heating them up with hair dryer/heat gun and unscrews very easy..

·
Registered
21 Posts
..Once you have part numbers, you can order parts with free shipping over on G1Parts.com. It's another Honda dealership, but their website is very hard to find parts on if you don't have the part number.
Went to G1Parts.com and tried ordering parts..No free shipping though.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yeah, they canceled that the 1st of this year. I e-mailed them about it, but they ignored me. :(

Right now the best one going is www.OEMAcuraParts.com. They sell both Honda and Acura parts so you can order everything together if you own both brands like me (only some parts cross over to both brands). If you use coupon code "GALAGA" you get 50% off shipping over $20. If you order over $500 you get free shipping with coupon code "SPYHUNTER". Plus they price match anybody else. Contact Tim or Denis on the website for price matching.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read and researched and watched You Tubes ad nauseum on this operation of replacing an actuator, especially the part about the dreaded three latch screws. SO - I took my little DeWalt impact driver (battery operated) and put a number 3 "Reed Prince" bit in it and they came out without any issue. Every post I have seen has said they are "Phillips" screws - they are not. A Reed Prince differs from a Phillips in that it doesnt have a sharp point on the end. Using a Phillips holds the gripping part of the bit away from the shoulders of the screw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
actual removal of actuator

I have everything done except for the physical removal of the actuator. I seem to be missing something here - I had trouble with the 3 screws, but I did get them out... what is next, I think the actuator is just the black piece, but I can't seem to get that off of the white piece?? any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just replaced my RR actuator. I'll share my tips.

First of all... ARGH that I didn't find this earlier. My RR was the last to go out, I could have saved like 750 bucks.

The instructions are very helpful. The areas that I'll comment on are where I found some difficulty. This applies to right-rear only. Not sure if fronts are different.

1) Everything went very smooth. I used a heat gun and break-free, and the 3 screws holding the assembly came out with ease. Make sure you have a #3 phillips, no need on stripping screws because of wrong tool.

2) You will have to unclip and detach all rods which connect the external door handle, internal door handle, and door lock. Take notes on how these connect back up. And remember to re-connect :) (see below)

3) Removing the assembly is the biggest problem. The OP's notes say to remove door bracket. I must be crazy but in my 04 there was no bracket I could remove. It was solid piece all the way to top of window. I had to do some geometry to get the assembly out. In a nutshell, rotate it south, then twist it around the bracket. Be careful. It will come out though.

4) When you get the assembly out. Be careful. I can see if you aren't paying attention you can send parts flying and not know how to put it back together. Use your camera phone to take picture before you take it apart. Once you have it out, and see how it works, replacing the actuator is easy.

5) Be careful on the re-assembly. I'm normally careful and I forgot to connect the external door latch rod :)

Thanks to OP for this thread. Although I regret paying dealer to replace first 3 units, I saved $250 in labor and it was 90 minutes. If I had to do it again I could probably hit 45 minutes, and I'm not a mechanic.

2004 Pilot EX, door actuators are the only thing that has broken. Love my Pilot.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Just replaced my RR actuator. I'll share my tips.

First of all... ARGH that I didn't find this earlier. My RR was the last to go out, I could have saved like 750 bucks.

The instructions are very helpful. The areas that I'll comment on are where I found some difficulty. This applies to right-rear only. Not sure if fronts are different.

1) Everything went very smooth. I used a heat gun and break-free, and the 3 screws holding the assembly came out with ease. Make sure you have a #3 phillips, no need on stripping screws because of wrong tool.

2) You will have to unclip and detach all rods which connect the external door handle, internal door handle, and door lock. Take notes on how these connect back up. And remember to re-connect :) (see below)

3) Removing the assembly is the biggest problem. The OP's notes say to remove door bracket. I must be crazy but in my 04 there was no bracket I could remove. It was solid piece all the way to top of window. I had to do some geometry to get the assembly out. In a nutshell, rotate it south, then twist it around the bracket. Be careful. It will come out though.

4) When you get the assembly out. Be careful. I can see if you aren't paying attention you can send parts flying and not know how to put it back together. Use your camera phone to take picture before you take it apart. Once you have it out, and see how it works, replacing the actuator is easy.

5) Be careful on the re-assembly. I'm normally careful and I forgot to connect the external door latch rod :)

Thanks to OP for this thread. Although I regret paying dealer to replace first 3 units, I saved $250 in labor and it was 90 minutes. If I had to do it again I could probably hit 45 minutes, and I'm not a mechanic.

2004 Pilot EX, door actuators are the only thing that has broken. Love my Pilot.
I will try the heat gun trick:29: Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts