Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Honda Pilot Outperforms Nissan Xterra Off-road on Slick Uwharrie Trails (Rocky Mnt. Loop, Sawmill, Daniel)

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  HondaPilotOverland 
#1 ·
The Pilot blew everyone away at Uhwarrie National Park this past weekend!

#2 ·
For the members of this forum, there was no doubt on what the outcome would be. :)

#3 ·
try that with the pathfinder.... the older ones with the real 4x4 not the warm n fuzzy feeling you get with the Pilots :)

#4 · (Edited)
BTW, you keep upping your game, not just with the Pilot itself, but also nice editing and music, especially in the intro.

Love that your secret advantage, besides VTM-4, etc. is all that enthusiastic bio-ballast in the back. :)

#6 ·
I'll be looking forward to watching this video when I get home from work. Your Pilot is an excellent example of how capable this platform is.

Now realistically, the Pilot's ceiling is much lower than an Xterras... they can get larger lifts for cheaper, can fit larger tires and were available with factory rear lockers and have more options for front/rear lockers. Oh yea, and a low range transfer case as well.

BUT, that Xterra didn't have you driving and you've proven yourself as a very capable driver off road. That's worth as much or more than all of the go-anywhere hardware you put on a vehicle.

Reactions: HondaPilotOverland
#8 ·
The fun thing about this wet/muddy day is that traction was the weak link for most rigs. I truly believe my skinny 32" Mud terrain tires (235-85-16 Yokohama Geolandar G003s) where the perfect tire for the conditions. They cut through the surface clay and found traction when most were just spinning on the surface. At the end of the day though, that wouldn't' have mattered if the Pilot couldn't get the power where it was needed. And VTM-4 came through and really proved itself. You could easily tell who didn't have a rear locker and everyone could see the Pilot did (I know it is a clutch based system)

You are absolutely right about the ceiling being higher for the Xterra, but as it is the lifted Pilot and mildly lifted Xterra have almost freakishly similar ground clearance, break over angles (The Xterra hitch is lower than the bumper), wheel base length, turning radius, etc...
I believe the Pilot is a little wider, but other than that and the solid rear axle they are really similar in off-road handling.

The lack of low range didn't bite me too bad on these trails and my Trans temps stayed at 180 or lower the whole time (I have 2 external trans coolers). I am sure I will know when I need low range, but the auto seems to do pretty well in 1st gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.