Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Pilot did really well in Uwharrie! Everyone who saw it action was blown away at the obstacles that it overcame in 1 shot! I owe my success to several factors

1) My custom front skidplate mod held up great! I hit it really hard at least 10 times

2) I had enough clearance... Barely LOL (I am actually working on a lift that is over 2.5" )

3) My 32" "skinny" Yokohama Geolandar G003 MT 235-85-16s put on a traction clinic on the wet clay! I truly believe they where the perfect tire to cut through the clay and find traction.

4) Flex: With my rear swaybar disconnected (cut) I was able to pick lines that kept my wheels down most of the time. I was really surprised how little I felt my tires lift. I connect my front swaybar now.

5) I was able to keep my transmission temps low thanks to my dual external tans coolers and watching my temp gauge.

6) We learned really quick to scout the line and then spot carefully.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The Pilot did really well in Uwharrie! Everyone who saw it action was blown away at the obstacles that it overcame in 1 shot! I owe my success to several factors

6) We learned really quick to scout the line and then spot carefully.
That's got to be a great feeling that your Pilot not only tackled the challenging, difficult trails and obstacles but survived to take you and the full house home nearly unscathed. But this mild-mannered Pilot is no ordinary mall crawling wagon on wheels because of all the important modifications in your build to make your Pilot the best it could be within its limits. Anyone on the trail behind your Pilot watched you tackle the obstacles, mud and rocks had to sing a different tune and hope their built rig could do the same.

Without LO range and 35s your approach to obstacles had to be different and you improvised to succeed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell us more about that shackle you've got in front.
The shackle on my subframe is a 2 ton D shackle with a 1/2” pin. I drilled the hole in the subframe jack point to 1/2” and used a grade 8 1/2” bolt and washers to secure it to my Pilot.
1/2" D-shackle

The Shackle on my custom front hitch receiver is a full size 4 ton hitch shackle.
Hitch Shackle

Another good option for front recovery is to use a tree protector winch strap to lasso the subframe bar.
Tree Winch Strap

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Ah, aftermarket DIY. Very nice, but I was grasping at the dim hope that it was bolt-on to an OEM part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts