Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L Navi - 236K+ miles
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting the P0325 code for combination of check engine & VTM lights, I searched for howto's to swap out knock sensor. A rodent chewed thru the wire harness but ordered both new wire harness and knock sensor as others mentioned knock sensor plastic top portion breaking off easily. I didn't want to have to remove intake and saw a youtube video for Honda Accord so tried that out on my 2004 Pilot.

Removed Power Steering pump and used bungee cord to pull it away for better access so you don't need to disconnect the hose like in the youtube video. There's a bulky wiring bundle in the 2004 Pilot that you have to move to side to gain access to the knock sensor. I did have to remove the brackets(circled in red in my photo) to allow adequate room for my hand and more range to use 24mm wrench to remove knock sensor. I vacuumed out that space before installing the new knock sensor and wire harness.

I had to stop half-way and make a run to Home Depot and Lowes to buy some 24mm wrenches as the 24mm wrench I had was too wide. A skinny 12-point 24mm combination wrench with higher angle on the box end worked best. I end up using a Kobalt brand from Lowes(sku number 0337663) as the Husky branded one in the video was too tight for my 2004 Pilot.

Hope this helps others who don't want to remove intake and get access by removing power steering pump and a couple brackets. Took less than an hour with the right tools as I slowly removed brackets and harnesses since I didn't have a manual but should be <30mins if I had to do it again.

(794) How to replace knock sensor without taking off the intake. Honda Accord 3.0 P0325 Knock sensor wire - YouTube

·
Read Only
293 Posts
This is definitely easier, since when you take off the top intake, you still have to take off the intake runners, which have the fuel lines, injectors, etc. attached to them, and the bolts are hard to get to. Pretty sure there is one bolt on the front plenum that you still have to take the power steering pump off to get to. I used a rockauto non-oem knock sensor (NTK I think) and it's worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
I know I'm kinda new around here, but this should be a sticky in the 'How to' section.

We have a 'how to' section, right?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Enterprise to Capt. Kirk- we can't find the 'How to' section Captain.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I didn't want to have to hassle with all the stuff you have to remove if doing the top intake method which was why I decided to wing it via power steering pump removal. I also went with a non-oem knock sensor from Advance Auto since they had a 25% Black Friday coupon Intermotor Ignition Knock (Detonation) Sensor S8685: Advance Auto Parts . However, I stopped by local Honda dealer to purchase the OEM wire harness(SUB-WIRE, KNOCK SENSOR Part# : 30531-P8F-A00 $8+tax) since I read in the other threads there is a new rodent deterrent wrap on the harness.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
Nice write-up. It took me five hours to change mine out going at it from above, so this is quite a time savings. But you missed out on the fun of cleaning out all the air intake ports on your Pilot’s engine.😁

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Yup, the new knock sensor wire harness has a crossed out mouse on the covering. Hopefully that means it keeps the rodents away as opposed to killing them after the damage has already been done.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also hope there is no dead rodent if it should ever occur again in the future as I thought the same thing where hopefully it's not rat poison used in that sheathing.

Wow, 5 hours is a chore so bet the intake ports must be sparkling new now(y)

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Yeah, I could see my reflection on those air intake ports when I was done cleaning them.😓

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice write up, thank you! Just a bit annoying to find this after I already replaced the sensor and wire by removing entire intake. However, I am still getting the P0325 and VTM4 lights, so am now going back in to check the new sensor, wires, etc. When you said you moved bulky wiring bundle to the side, which way did you move it? There's wires going off in both directions, so I wasn't sure. Thank you again.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I've never needed to replace a knock sensor.
¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice write up, thank you! Just a bit annoying to find this after I already replaced the sensor and wire by removing entire intake. However, I am still getting the P0325 and VTM4 lights, so am now going back in to check the new sensor, wires, etc. When you said you moved bulky wiring bundle to the side, which way did you move it? There's wires going off in both directions, so I wasn't sure. Thank you again.
I moved that one long wiring harness up vertically as much as possible to allow for my hands to get in beneath it which allowed more room to access the knock sensor and you can also visually see the sensor easily with harness aside. If you have smaller hands, you may not even need to move that wiring harness much. See the green arrows I added to picture below. Hope that helps and it should save you some time compared to your first removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moved that one long wiring harness up vertically as much as possible to allow for my hands to get in beneath it which allowed more room to access the knock sensor and you can also visually see the sensor easily with harness aside. If you have smaller hands, you may not even need to move that wiring harness much. See the green arrows I added to picture below. Hope that helps and it should save you some time compared to your first removal.
Excellent, thank you! My friend helped me test continuity for shorts and continuity in the wiring today. Everything looks good. I did use an "import direct" knock sensor, so am thinking of putting an OEM one in and see if that solves it.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
735 Posts
Excellent, thank you! My friend helped me test continuity for shorts and continuity in the wiring today. Everything looks good. I did use an "import direct" knock sensor, so am thinking of putting an OEM one in and see if that solves it.
Please let us know if that solved the issue

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
For sensors, as much as I love to squeeze a nickel until the buffalo sh!ts, go with OEM.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
For sensors, as much as I love to squeeze a nickel until the buffalo sh!ts, go with OEM.
A little secret.... Standard Motor Products

1 - 17 of 17 Posts