Is this for real ... your thoughts ....:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874360183

Honda Pilot
Intake Sensor Modification +20 HP
ALL NEW!!

100% SAFE & 100% LEGAL!

FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT!!!

INTAKE SENSOR MODIFICATION
This is a special modification to your Intake Air Temperature sensor, which will allow your engine take in cooler air and increase the amount of fuel to your engine. The increased air/fuel ratio that the engine recieve will increase the horsepower significantly over stock cars with a resistor chip. Not only will you feel better acceleration and torque, you will also feel this through the entire RPM band.

Same function as ECU upgrades and performance chips like the Jet V-Chip for a lot less! Bid now, don't miss your chance!

ALL PARTS INCLUDED!
EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!
NO KNOWLEDGE OF CARS NEEDED!
GIVE YOUR CAR OR TRUCK UP TO 20 MORE HORSE POWER!!
This modification kit is for all models of:
Honda Pilot
WHAT THIS MOD DOES:
This mod notifies your ECU that the air coming in through the intake is cold air, this advances the timing by 3-4º, letting the engine produce more power, thus, releases more horse power for your engine!

This mod is a fraction of the cost of those expensive ECU upgrades ($400+)

And does the same exact thing adds up to 20 HP!

Stop paying high prices for this MOD!

We buy in huge quantities to give you the best price on eBay!

This mod will fit all models of your car. It is extremely easy to install no tools are required and this mod will not damage your car in anyway. We installed this in less than 10 minutes on our vehicle and it works, YES it does work!!
You will DEFINATELY notice the difference!
More Responsive, more powerfull! You will absolutely love it!

Our kit is one of the best!

Your car will accelerate faster and have a higher top end speed. This is a great mod for any car, and will definitely increase your HP up to 20 hp. Your 1/4 mile times will decrease a few tenths of a second or more and your 1/4 mile MPH will improve as well.

This mod is very easy to install, anyone could do it. This mod is also just as easy to remove in 5 minutes or less.

HERE ARE SOME FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
What year and model will this work on?
It will work on ALL models (excluding turbos) from 1990 to present.

Will this void my warranty?
No. This will not void out most warranties. If you have a very strict underwriter on your warranty, you can undo this mod in less than 5 minutes. You can even re-install it later. This leaves no trace of any modification.

Will this hurt my car, motor, computer, etc.?
No. This will not hurt your car or have any negative effect on your motor, computer, whatsoever. It is impossible to damage your engine by advance timing. In fact this mod will actually work WITH your car the way it is designed. Use premium fuel for best results.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
We will contact the winning bidder within an hour of auction close.
Payment is expected to arrive in 7 days.
Shipping and handling is $2.99 in U.S. and $3.99 for international bidders.
c2it.com, payingfast.com, bidpay.com, money order, check, cash are accepted.
All sales are final.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds cool, but pretty gimmicky. It would probably decrease your MPG also. Its cheap, if I had a Pilot I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yeah, I tried it in my 1990 Pilot, while I was working as a spy. In Russia, with my wife, Vanna White. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I think this is one thing I will be passing on. I enjoy the Pilot too much for that. Now, the SuperCharger is what to wait for.....

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
PrG said:
Is this for real ... your thoughts ....:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874360183
[snip]
INTAKE SENSOR MODIFICATION
This is a special modification to your Intake Air Temperature sensor, which will allow your engine take in cooler air and increase the amount of fuel to your engine. The increased air/fuel ratio that the engine recieve will increase the horsepower significantly over stock cars with a resistor chip. Not only will you feel better acceleration and torque, you will also feel this through the entire RPM band.
[snip]
Your car will accelerate faster and have a higher top end speed.
[snip]
The last phrase is the part I'm having problems with. We all know that the Pilot has a 109MPH speed limiter. So, if this mod only pertains to the Intake Air Temperature sensor and the signals it relays to the ECU, then how does it circumvent the speed limiter restriction which I understand is regulated within the ECU itself? Does it also send a signal telling ECU to disregard any speed limiter it's supposed to perform?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd bet this is a $.20 resistor with maybe a couple of plugs. Now, if I ever get around to buying that service manual I could tell for sure. Anyone with one want to look up if the intake temp sensor is just a simple temperature sensitive resistor (thermistor)? If it is, then its easy to fool the ECU by paralleling or seriesing an appropriate resistor to make it think it's cool.

Al

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
AlH said:
I'd bet this is a $.20 resistor with maybe a couple of plugs. Now, if I ever get around to buying that service manual I could tell for sure. Anyone with one want to look up if the intake temp sensor is just a simple temperature sensitive resistor (thermistor)? If it is, then its easy to fool the ECU by paralleling or seriesing an appropriate resistor to make it think it's cool.

Al
Man, must be pretty cool and handy too, to know that much about cars. Do you think though what they claim in performance boost is true? Also, more importantly, would it harm the car in anyway whether immediately or down the road from premature wear and tear?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Snake Oil

It always astounds me what people try to sell.

1. If there was 20Hp to be gained with a sensor change, Honda would have done it.

2. If they did not want the extra 20HP, they would have made some other change that saved then a few $$ in production or added a few tenths of a MPG to their CAFE rating.

As for hurting the car, probably not directly, but I bet it would cause some type of problem somewhere over the opperating range.

E.G. If it makes the engine think it is useing cooler air than it realy is getting, then the ECU might not be able to adjust for temperature extreams properly causing excessively rich or lean running under some conditions.

Too lean can cause knocking, burnt valves, and such.
Too rich can cause poor fuel ecconony, fouled plugs, cloged catalytic converters, and other such.

More HP, will not get you up a hill that stock HP leaves you at the bottom of, and the Pilot is not a race car, so whay bother.

Unless you REALY have the need to spend money for no good reason (In that case, I will sell you my secret formula for added HP and MPG) :2:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Honda wouldn't have necessarily done it...they always hold some back for "next year". Standard practice in the automotive industry. Never give it all right away. Witness the 2003 MDX with more power.

If the ECU thinks it is cold it WILL normally run richer as well as advance the timing. Both, particularly the mixture, are contrary to pollution goals but will also improve performance. It is well known many internal combustion engines are set lean (EPA) and can be substantially improved by richening things up a little. Pretty much a standard trick with motorcycles. None of the real motorcycle gearheads I know , myself included, run stock lean settings on four strokes. Oddly many of the two stroke dirt bikes come jetted rich, the manufacturer pays fewer warranty claims that way. A lean two stroke can self destruct quickly. Four strokes are more tolerant of mixture.

As for the claims being true? Some may be, more power is probably available, notice they say UP TO 20 horsepower, well 5 more would qualify under that kind of claim!:rolleyes:
Notice they call for premium fuel too? That alone could account for the timing advance as the knock sensor tells the ECU it can advance the timing.

Al

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same thing was discussed on acuraMDX.org

I think somebody actually sent a check.

Did not EVEN get the crappy 20 cent resistor, just a sketch showing where the "intake air temp sensor" was located and the part number from Radio Shack.

NO WAY that 'fooling' the intake air temp sensro is going to do any good to eincrease power.

Sorry, things that are "too good" generally are NOT TRUE!

RipRocK said:

Man, must be pretty cool and handy too, to know that much about cars. Do you think though what they claim in performance boost is true? Also, more importantly, would it harm the car in anyway whether immediately or down the road from premature wear and tear?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts