Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I Love My pilot, as a matter of fact I love it so much that my family is starting to get sick of me talking about it. Anyways, I can never get it clean. I have only had it for a month, and I dust it every night with a non-scratch waxed, California duster. But I tried to wash the car my self and it was hopeless. Water spots and scratches appeared everywhere. So I took it to a car wash, again, water spots and scratches everywhere. Next time I think I will pay the extra money for a handwash.
On top off all that, I paid about $500 upon purchase for the dealership to put on a protective wax and a leather Sealant that protects for "up to five years". I new that this might be bull, but I got it anyway, adn the interior is still shiny and clean. The outside on teh other hand is a huge pain. I love my Pilot, and I know that black vehicles are a pain to keep clean, but still....
Do any owners of a Black Pilot have advice? Or any other Pilot owners?:awais:

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I have a black Pilot. I have no problems with water spots. I always wash it by hand and dry with soft terrycloth towels and cloth diapers. I normally wash it once a week. Hasn't scratched yet. Nothing beats (IMHO) a clean black vehicle.

:4:

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Art said:
Nothing beats (IMHO) a clean black vehicle.

:4:
Gotta agree with you there. I've been washing my black Pilot around once every 2 weeks. As soon as I bought it, I put on a coat of Zymol wax. I also use Zymol car wash detergent. I use a sponge to wash and terry cloth towels to dry. I don't wash the car in the sun, and I dry it right away after washing. No streaks, no water spots, and no swirl marks. I'm no expert, but I believe that the lubricants in the car wash detergent and the protection from a good wax makes all the difference in the world. But that's just my hunch.

P.S. Don't rub too hard. Let the soap do the work.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I feel your pain -- we have 2 black cars. Neither has scratches/swirls or waterspots. And though I actually enjoy detailing, and nuttin' looks better than a clean black car, when the lease is up in Nov on the GS the new car will NOT be black; I just don't have the time/energy/inclination to do it on TWO cars anymore.

Scratch/swirl tips:

Use only 100% USA-made cotton towels for washing/drying or good microfiber mits/towels. Lots of soap and suds is good.

Water Spot tips:

- Don't wash/dry in the sun or when the paint is hot

- "Sheet" the water off the car w/the hose rather than misting. Use the full flow of the hose, about 2" away from the paint, and most of the water will sheet right off. I can dry our X with 1 towel when doing so.

- White vinegar will usually get rid of the stubborn spots that are already there.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have always owned black cars - Hondas, Acuras, Fords, etc.

Drying a black car is important to eliminate the appearance of water spots and don't wash it when the tins on the vehicle are hot.

If you already have light scratches on your vehicle, I would recommend taking some 3M Perfect It Swirl Mark Remover to it. I have had excellent results with this product on black vehicles. It is very mild and can be used by hand or with an orbital buffer, pretty close to idiot proof.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Mine's Sage Brush Pearl which cleans up beautifully, but doen't stay that way for long. I think it shows the dirt even more than the black, especially the tailgate and rear bumber. But I love the color and wouldn't change a thing. If I didn't want to wash the car I would've gotten Sandstone. I think that color can have a ton of dirt on it and it hardly shows.

For water spots, you have to dry the car by hand with a terry cloth or, even better, a good chamois which is what I use. It's a lot of extra work but it's worh it. Some folk here raved about the California Water Blade, so I bought one but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Maybe this weekend after Isabel blows by.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I took some HO Org. Detailing tips to WalMart today.
Returned with Calif. squeegee. microfiber towels and Stoner window cleaner
results:
Cal squeegee is great knocks 90% of the water off. probably cut drying time by 25%

Microfiber towels. How do these things work. They're fabulous.
Where does the water go. Why haven't I used these before. amazing. Gotta haves.

Stoners glass cleaner. I'll withhold opinion till I use again.

ciao
mooz
exlss

·
Registered
7 Posts
A lot of great tips already!

TheWorm was right on about the towels. The cloths you use could be putting most of the light scratches on your car! :(
100% cotton towels or quality microfiber is the only way to wash.
Also using the hose without a nozzle, creating the sheeting of water, will help with the water spots.

Here is my tip... use two buckets of water when you wash by hand. Fill one with clear water and rinse your wash mit/ or towel often while washing. Also, be generous with the wash solution, it helps to move the grim away from where you are washing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Never

The week after we got the Pilot (black), I put on "Tough Guard", another one of those last 5 years protectants. After 6 months water still beads into tiny droplets and not many water stains if I don't dry it very well in direct sunlight. I use Wizards detail spray polish anywhere it's needed just to keep it looking really shiny. Since, I put on Tough Guard I haven't seen any small scratches, I've noticed no rock chips on the hood yet for that matter. Not like my Volvo which has them all over the hood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
recommendations?

My black pilot EX-L is a couple of weeks old. Any more recommendations on what protectant can help me keep it shiny? anything for leather? thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re: Never

firstpilot said:
The week after we got the Pilot (black), I put on "Tough Guard", another one of those last 5 years protectants.
Can you please throw some light on this "tough guard". Never heard of this before. Where do I find this? Is it somekind of wax?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Never

http://www.toughguard.com/

Pilot007,
Here's the Tough Guard website. I just took the chance on this product and so far so good. I don't believe everything I read, but TG seems to be holding up. When applied (like a wax) the paint was smoother and looked deeper. I use Wizards as touch up to really make it shine. Since I'm a DIY kind of guy, I thought I'd give it a try and save money from the dealer charging me to put their stuff on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts