Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Good People

New here. Pretty good with my hands. Owning 3 old Jags and a 86 Porsche 928, doing the work myself and stuff, has taught me a few things...

My sister lives two states away and I'm going to head up! She has a 2009 Honda Pilot that is exhibiting all the signs of a hydraulic Tensioner failure... My question is,,, does everything need to come off to get to the tensioner, lower harmonic balancer, and upper and lower cam and timing covers OR can one get to the 10mm bolts another way? Is half of the tensioner sticking out of the cover where it can be accessed?

I appreciate and support and guidance here! Sharing y'all's wisdom. Deep bow... What do I need to know and be thinking about going in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From here it looks like the 10mm bolts fall outside of the cover boarder... Or,,, is that just wishful thinking, lol

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Has the timing belt on this vehicle ever been replaced?
If so, how long ago in time and mileage?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Man! Thanks.

I understand it was replaced at 88 or 89k... By an on the spot mechanic... Or so I've been told... Not the water pump tho.

I understand the interference engine and things, I warned them... For now, tensioner. I'll inspect on the job.

If the lower cover bolts were loosened up is it possible to wiggle the old tensioner out and placing the new?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
The guidance I would give is to buy an entire Aisin timing belt water pump kit (TKH002)
and make everything new while your in there. I'm pretty sure that the Crankshaft Pulley must come off to remove lower cover to expose the tensioner.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Apparently the tensioner can be replaced without pulling everything by taking off the upper cover, the lower timing cover bolts, and then prying it away:

You can get a better look at it from this angle:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boom, Bam, Boom!

Thank you Boom! That's all I needed to know. Thanks for sticking with the original question and helping me out so so much. Really. Clarity on forums saves the day...

About replacing everything,,, as stated earlier in the post all of that has been considered. A couple of questions had been answered about it. Still,,, thank you MUCH for your concern and sound advice. You all are awesome!!!

BTW,,, I explained to my Sis and he Husband to join! I also will send them this video and MAYBE HE can do this, lol. Or him and a friend...

Peace,,, see y'all on the flip side!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Apparently the tensioner can be replaced without pulling everything by taking off the upper cover, the lower timing cover bolts, and then prying it away:

You can get a better look at it from this angle:

Ok, yes I see. But if that tensioners been loosen and things have been hammering away in there, that belt is not any good (I didn't say probably). It needs to be replaced. This is a bad idea.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The hardest part will be pulling the "grenade" pin.... but I know it can be done because he did it. Probably not fun. It wasnt fun pulling mine when the cover was off and all the other stuff was pulled out of the way. :)

Reactions: JayPorJay

·
Registered
603 Posts
One more word of advice? Take your torque wrench seriously! Those two little 10mm bolts only take 8.9 ft-lbs (108 inch lbs). There have been many stories of people using the "elbow torque wrench" and snapping one of these bolts, and that makes a simple job a nightmare.

I actually purchased new bolts for mine since they were cheap:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
OP, search for member @Johnjk . He has replaced the tensioner at least once, maybe more between timing belt changes and he can give you some pretty good real world tips and info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Cin! Will do!

Anyone have specs on those 2 10mm bolts? A very wise wise suggestion right there - I will pass it on. All are good pointers...

I could start sharing nightmares (daymares) about snapped of bolts on 20 and 30yo cars... Then other stuff... Won't bore ya... Steel on aluminum and aluminum on steel makes for all kinds of swearing cursing and unusual body language, lol

I passed on the info shared by Boom (deep bow) and it looks like I will have time for myself after all this weekend. "He" is going to handle it... Me? I'll be working on my newly acquired 2003 Portfolio Edition XKR Convertible that went for a long swim in a Texas flood... DayMare,,, lol... I love it tho.

You guys are the best!!!

Bolt specs please,,, if you have

·
Registered
603 Posts
If by bolt specs, you mean the part numbers - they are listed in the link to my DIY above. MOST people just re-use them, but I am a big chicken. ?

95801-06030-07 Bolt Flange (6X30) for tension-er $1.35 (need two)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Thank you Cin! Will do!

Anyone have specs on those 2 10mm bolts? A very wise wise suggestion right there - I will pass it on. All are good pointers...

I could start sharing nightmares (daymares) about snapped of bolts on 20 and 30yo cars... Then other stuff... Won't bore ya... Steel on aluminum and aluminum on steel makes for all kinds of swearing cursing and unusual body language, lol

I passed on the info shared by Boom (deep bow) and it looks like I will have time for myself after all this weekend. "He" is going to handle it... Me? I'll be working on my newly acquired 2003 Portfolio Edition XKR Convertible that went for a long swim in a Texas flood... DayMare,,, lol... I love it tho.

You guys are the best!!!

This is why you should focus on AMERICAN iron... none of that soft Euro trash! Cast iron and high grade steel, none of that sissy lightweight aluminum stuff... just make the engines bigger to offset the weight!

Truth be told I'd love to wrench on some older European and Japanese cars but right now with a young family my '61 Impala and my dad's cars are more than I have time for. I will say that I have not broken a bolt on my '61 Impala yet and it is 99% original (knock on wood).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that's right, Cin!

I wouldn't go so far as to saying trash with a capital "T" but I know what you mean. At the same time, I run into the same stuff on newer "American" cars,,, in that - it might just be a sign of the times... The 86 Porsche is steal-E too.

I've never even gotten close to breaking or stripping a bolt on the 1990 XJS Convertible (super steal-E car) and from what I hear (wish I knew first hand) same is true for all older Jags. Real,,,, steel. The XJS is like working on a tank...

How it ended up being these Euro cars is a long story and I won't bore you with it. But shoot I'm having fun - even got a Japanese bike that's going to be a racer like this one...

I WOULD LOVE AN OLD IMPALA,,, STEP SIDE PIC UP,,, SS,,, NOVA... I'm with you. Maybe some day.

You BETTER get back at that Impala! If ya know what's good for ya! Jus say'n.

Peace ☮

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I know that's right, Cin!

I wouldn't go so far as to saying trash with a capital "T" but I know what you mean. At the same time, I run into the same stuff on newer "American" cars,,, in that - it might just be a sign of the times... The 86 Porsche is steal-E too.

I've never even gotten close to breaking or stripping a bolt on the 1990 XJS Convertible (super steal-E car) and from what I hear (wish I knew first hand) same is true for all older Jags. Real,,,, steel. The XJS is like working on a tank...

How it ended up being these Euro cars is a long story and I won't bore you with it. But shoot I'm having fun - even got a Japanese bike that's going to be a racer like this one...

I WOULD LOVE AN OLD IMPALA,,, STEP SIDE PIC UP,,, SS,,, NOVA... I'm with you. Maybe some day.

You BETTER get back at that Impala! If ya know what's good for ya! Jus say'n.

Peace ☮
That bike will be really cool! I can't say Jags would be my first Euro choice but if I could get one of the XJ's with a V12 and a manual (I think Harry Metcalfe has one and has done some videos) I would probably take the dive.

The law of dissimilar metals... they can be separated just long enough to get past the warranty period... beyond that it's a roll of the dice. I try to use penetrating lube whenever possible when the bolts are in aluminum to increase my odds...

My Impala runs and drives, I get it out at least once every week before the kids wake up. It needs things but nothing that prevents me from spending an hour plus in it each weekend. No major projects that take it off the road for extended periods until the kids are older and I have the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts