Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
My 2008 Honda Pilot with 110,000 miles is making a strange noise from the engine. The mechanic couldn't diagnose the problem from the noise and said it would cost almost $800 to just tear down the engine to search for the problem. They seem to think that the problem is localized inside the actual engine. A friend said it might have something to do with the timing belt? I'm not sure if this is in any way connected to the problem but we changed our timing belt and water pump around 105,000 miles and a few months after, the engine noise had appeared.

Videos attached as a youtube link in the comments

If anyone knows what the problem is or how serious this is I would really appreciate it!
Any insight is welcomed
Thank you very much!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Failed timing belt tensioner ? Who did the timing belt work, what brand parts did they use, and was the tensioner replaced?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yours is weird, as it seems erratic... as these are more constant. I personally would not drive the vehicle when it sounds like that. A diagnosis to eliminate anything on the drive belt is simple removal of the belt and crank the engine. The elimination of the tensioner is not much more, listening/feeling it, or removing the upper timing belt cover and inspect the belt. The combination of both should not be more than a couple hours labor.

Did they change the water pump when they changed your timing belt?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Do you know what brand tensioner was used? And some folks even recommend going with the older spring tensioner rather than the more recent hydraulic tensioner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
something to do with the timing belt? I'm not sure if this is in any way connected to the problem but we changed our timing belt and water pump around 105,000 miles and a few months after, the engine noise had appeared.

Videos attached as a youtube link in the comments

If anyone knows what the problem is or how serious this is I would really appreciate it!
Any insight is welcomed
Thank you very much!!
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Failed timing belt tensioner ? Who did the timing belt work, what brand parts did they use, and was the tensioner replaced?
Had a timing belt replaced on a 91 Subaru, the tensioner or idler loosened up and the effect was to slip the belt just a little.
The engine worked while it was cold as the ECU adjusted, but as soon as it warmed up it would stall. Took another dealer awhile to figure it out.
This happens.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Pull the accessory belt and see if the noise stops. This sounds just like a failing alternator bearing to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts