Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been trying to solve this mystery for about a year. When I’m driving lets take low speed for example theres like a metal noise sort off like a loose heat shield noise. The noise dont sound when push the gas all the way. I check under nothing is loose. Dealership can’t find nothing. It mostly sounds like its coming from right passenger area. Anybody herd this noise or had a issue like this?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I been trying to solve this mystery for about a year. When I’m driving lets take low speed for example theres like a metal noise sort off like a loose heat shield noise. The noise dont sound when push the gas all the way. I check under nothing is loose. Dealership can’t find nothing. It mostly sounds like its coming from right passenger area. Anybody herd this noise or had a issue like this?
When coasting or holding our speed or when the cruise control is on, our 6 cylinder engines are designed (VCM technology) to only run on the back 3 cylinders. This causes a lot of vibration that's normally absorbed by the liquid filled front and back engine mounts. There is a good chance that one or more of these engine mounts has failed. Some (including myself) have described the noise as a straw in a drink cup lid.
The greater concern for this Pilot equiped with the 6-speed transmission is the what I call "The Erractic RPM Gauge Of Death." This again is VCM related, causing the torque converter and clutch to slip repeatedly. Have you seen your RPM gauge do this?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

I actually had that similar issue with a previous vehicle. The resolution was a simple one. I took out the glove box and proceeded to find a mascara bottle that my wife had put in the glove box and it slipped into the dash when she closed it at some point. Rattled around in the void of the dash area. Good luck in finding the issue.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d be less worried about infotainment and more worried about transmissions in the elite model and up.

Read the reviews and complaints about that transmission before deciding if it’s something you can live with.

Personally, I don’t trust said transmission, so we bought the EXL with the older transmission that got 2 mpg less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When coasting or holding our speed or when the cruise control is on, our 6 cylinder engines are designed (VCM technology) to only run on the back 3 cylinders. This causes a lot of vibration that's normally absorbed by the liquid filled front and back engine mounts. There is a good chance that one or more of these engine mounts has failed. Some (including myself) have described the noise as a straw in a drink cup lid.
The greater concern for this Pilot equiped with the 6-speed transmission is the what I call "The Erractic RPM Gauge Of Death." This again is VCM related, causing the torque converter and clutch to slip repeatedly. Have you seen your RPM gauge do this?
My rpm does that maybe driving up a hill and around this almost speed. I took it to the dealer for the issue sinc there's a service bulletin for that.
I think this is motor mount related since when i go over bumps cars is loud over bump.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I’d be less worried about infotainment and more worried about transmissions in the elite model and up.

Read the reviews and complaints about that transmission before deciding if it’s something you can live with.

Personally, I don’t trust said transmission, so we bought the EXL with the older transmission that got 2 mpg less.
It was mostly the earlier high end Pilots which had 9 speed issues. Newer Pilots have way less transmission issues. Not to mention that the 6 speed has its own issues.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My rpm does that maybe driving up a hill and around this almost speed. I took it to the dealer for the issue sinc there's a service bulletin for that.
I think this is motor mount related since when i go over bumps cars is loud over bump.
Mr.Grease can explain it better than me, but there's this small device called a VCM muzzler which will prevent this issue from happening (if you didn't already know). Your issue is most probably an issue with the motor mount, but if it's really bad then it could be the torque converter about to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr.Grease can explain it better than me, but there's this small device called a VCM muzzler which will prevent this issue from happening (if you didn't already know). Your issue is most probably an issue with the motor mount, but if it's really bad then it could be the torque converter about to go.
been having this noise about 2 years that i just ignored it. Next year shes gone. I’m to a different brand. The car has made it 4 times down to florida in past year. Highly doubt its torque and mostly like you guys saying is motor mounts.

·
Registered
813 Posts
been having this noise about 2 years that i just ignored it. Next year shes gone. I’m to a different brand. The car has made it 4 times down to florida in past year. Highly doubt its torque and mostly like you guys saying is motor mounts.
If you can get your dealer to diagnose it and repair it for free, that would be great. A new Pilot should be unveiled in around 8 months or so. You might wait for the next gen to come out before you get rid of yours. If you want to get rid of the car, and you don't really care, then you could just leave it as is; I don't recommend this tho.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
If you have the erratic rpm gauge and black transmission fluid, you may not make next year.
If you want to save this vehicle, get Honda to do all the TSBs or use a VCM disabling device and do 3 maybe 4 x drain and fills on the transmission fluid, driving a few miles in between.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have the erratic rpm gauge and black transmission fluid, you may not make next year.
If you want to save this vehicle, get Honda to do all the TSBs or use a VCM disabling device and do 3 maybe 4 x drain and fills on the transmission fluid, driving a few miles in between.
yea im waiting to see what honda brings 2021. The competition are making good looking cars compared to our minivan look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts