Bringing together several threads on this issue as there are a few different permutations of folks complaining about audio static issues on the Honda Pilot 2016 or 2017 with a Navi head unit found on the Touring and Elite models. My hope is that we can explore the possible solutions in one thread for folks experiencing this specific audio issue with these years of vehicles and arrive at the best way to solve it that doesn't involve taking it to the dealer and paying exorbitant amounts of money to address as many of us now have vehicles outside of the Honda extended warranty.
Problem description: Audio works perfect for around 10 minutes (give or take, some can go as long as an hour or as fast a few minutes) but then static can be heard and it eventually overtakes the sound completely. Sounds on the Navi and Diag modes can still be heard. Example video of issue:
In the video, you can see the head unit in diagnostic mode and hear the static in the background, it eventually fades to near silence. In diag mode, the speaker test produces no sound on the speakers; however, entering into diag mode you can hear the chimes just fine. While the video does not specifically show this, the Navi also produces sound perfectly clear.
Quite a few folks are experiencing this problem. Here are some example threads and even one outside of Piloteers describing this issue. In those threads, several different fixes have been proposed:
In all of the above proposed solutions there are only limited folks reporting success with any one potential fix. In my personal experience #3 was not a solution, although some claimed that fixed it for them. The "neural" mode is disabled in my head unit and, to my knowledge, has never been enabled and I'm the only owner of this vehicle.
- Replace Head Unit
- Replace Amp
- Disable "Neural" in the Audio Settings
- Remove strain on wiring harness to the Amp
Questions for the great folks in this community to chime in on:
I'll continue to update this thread with a definnitive solution when found.
- Is this happening to you? Chime in with your symptoms to see if they match mine.
- Have you had this problem and had it fixed? Even if its, "I took it to the dealer and they fixed it." Please share what was fixed. For those of us unlucky enough to have his happen outside of the warranty, we'll have to shoulder the expense and time to fix.
- Have you tried any of the above solutions and had it not resolve your problem?