1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda Pilot 2015 - Hole in the Engine
Engine 1: Hole in the engine. Tech Honda wrote: “Engine seized”
Engine 2: Hole in the engine. Tech Honda wrote: “Threw rod”

Note: I bought the car new at Honda dealership, I maintain the car, do oil changes and State inspection only at the Honda dealerships. I am current on all my maintenance.
Summary
  • On June 17, 2020, my car broke down in the middle of the traffic on the highway. The Engine leaks fluids and started to smoke.
  • I took the car to the Honda dealer for repair. The Tech identified a hole in the engine from the inside to the outside. The tech wrote: “the engine seized. Engine destroyed internals and crack block”.
  • The engine was changed, and all repairs were completed on July 7, 2020. Part and labor were paid by the extended warranty company minus my deductible.
  • The part warranty after repairs is 12 Months or 12 Miles witch others come first. The Mileage at the time of the repairs is 83416 miles
  • On Dec 3, 2020, the engine went out again (Big hole in the engine and oil is leaking again) and the car stopped in the middle of the highway again. The mileage on the vehicle at the time of the incident was 87193 miles. The oil change and State inspection were just made at the Honda car dealer 30 days ago.
  • The car is now at the mechanic Honda car dealer. The part warranty after repairs is 12 Months or 12 Miles witch others come first, and it is still valid. The Extended warranty company and Honda car dealer asked me to submit the claim to company who sourced the engine. At this point Company who provided the engine denied the claim starting 1 Heat tab start to melt at the middle.
Questions:
  • Did anyone have this issue or something similar resulting with a hole in the engine?
  • Is the class action law sue settlement is applicable to this issue as well?
  • Who do you think have to take some responsibilities Honda Corporation (2 engines internal failure), Honda Dealer (failure the investigate the root cause of the first engine failure prior swapping engine, picture of the heat stab confirming that they were not partially melted, refusing to explain why thermostat or spark plugs were replaced when installing the second engine), the company who provided the second engine (who is refusing to release the history on the engine and the picture of the heat stab confirming that they were not partially melted)?
Please help,

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Sorry I missed this post.
What you've described is quite shocking, in that this has occurred twice. I hope they take care of you. Please keep us informed. Hopefully someone here can assist.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Wow, What BS on their part. I just gort a 15 Pilot w/ low miles. Not good news. I ain't buying any extended warranty crap. Glad it helps some people though.

Call me paranoid, but

I NEVER trust someone else doing my vehicles oil changes. EVER.
I like to know WHAT went in, and When.

Is every shop dishonest? Of course not

Are some/many?.....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It just cracks me up when people brag:

'all oil changes done by the dealer'.....

As if that is somehow better than a DIY job?

Every time I read that I think to myself,
'there's ONE of your problems' LOL

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It just cracks me up when people brag:

'all oil changes done by the dealer'.....

As if that is somehow better than a DIY job?

Every time I read that I think to myself,
'there's ONE of your problems' LOL
Especially when the dealership slips the unsuspecting loyal customer synthetic blend.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,836 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I think you may be the first person on this forum to have two engines fail on the same vehicle.

It sounds like your warranty is through a third party and not Honda Care. Who selected the replacement engine? If it wasn’t you, why aren’t they getting involved trying to figure out what went wrong?

What heat tab are they referring to?

In your case, since you’re under warranty, it might be a good thing that you have service records to prove what work was done. Hopefully you don’t have to get an attorney involved and either Honda or the warranty company makes it right.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Talk about bad luck! Geesh! Sorry to hear you were the victim of lightning striking the same car twice, that is very rare. You didn't take money OUT of the collection plate did you?

While it's possible the issues in the litigation you cite could have contributed to the problem, I would think well before oil starvation became an existential threat to the engine that all kinds of warnings would be tripped. Did they all fail to go off or were they ignored? Catastrophic and sudden parts failure usually occur during the infant mortality period, not after five years, unless continual high stresses were exerted on good parts. That could be anything from gas or water dilution of the oil to hot rod driving near redline. I don't know so I'm not judging, just tossing out the bookends to the wide range of possible causes beside or possibly in addition to VCM. Haven't seen or heard any actual evidence yet, and it sounds like you haven't and may never.

Good luck with this, if you ever find out the causes, I'd be interested in hearing what they were. In any event, I hope it turns out in your favor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I think you may be the first person on this forum to have two engines fail on the same vehicle.

It sounds like your warranty is through a third party and not Honda Care. Who selected the replacement engine? If it wasn’t you, why aren’t they getting involved trying to figure out what went wrong?

What heat tab are they referring to?

In your case, since you’re under warranty, it might be a good thing that you have service records to prove what work was done. Hopefully you don’t have to get an attorney involved and either Honda or the warranty company makes it right.
Honda the extended guarantee and the person who supplied the parts are playing me like ping pong. I am trying to figure out who to hold responsable. All are going doing to AMERICA Honda.... The settle similar law sue before.. Hope i will not get there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honda Pilot 2015 - Hole in the Engine
Engine 1: Hole in the engine. Tech Honda wrote: “Engine seized”
Engine 2: Hole in the engine. Tech Honda wrote: “Threw rod”

Note: I bought the car new at Honda dealership, I maintain the car, do oil changes and State inspection only at the Honda dealerships. I am current on all my maintenance.
Summary

• On June 17, 2020, my car broke down in the middle of the traffic on the highway. The Engine leaks fluids and started to smoke.
  • I took the car to the Honda dealer for repair. The Tech identified a hole in the engine from the inside to the outside. The tech wrote: “the engine seized. Engine destroyed internals and crack block”.
  • The engine was changed, and all repairs were completed on July 7, 2020. Part and labor were paid by the extended warranty company minus my deductible.
  • The part warranty after repairs is 12 Months or 12 Miles witch others come first. The Mileage at the time of the repairs is 83416 miles
  • On Dec 3, 2020, the engine went out again (Big hole in the engine and oil is leaking again) and the car stopped in the middle of the highway again. The mileage on the vehicle at the time of the incident was 87193 miles. The oil change and State inspection were just made at the Honda car dealer 30 days ago.
  • The car is now at the mechanic Honda car dealer. The part warranty after repairs is 12 Months or 12 Miles witch others come first, and it is still valid. The Extended warranty company and Honda car dealer asked me to submit the claim to company who sourced the engine. At this point Company who provided the engine denied the claim starting 1 Heat tab start to melt at the middle.
Questions:
  • Did anyone have this issue or something similar resulting with a hole in the engine?
  • Is the class action law sue settlement is applicable to this issue as well?
  • Who do you think have to take some responsibilities Honda Corporation (2 engines internal failure), Honda Dealer (failure the investigate the root cause of the first engine failure prior swapping engine, picture of the heat stab confirming that they were not partially melted, refusing to explain why thermostat or spark plugs were replaced when installing the second engine), the company who provided the second engine (who is refusing to release the history on the engine and the picture of the heat stab confirming that they were not partially melted)?
Please help,
Please see picture as you requested.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talk about bad luck! Geesh! Sorry to hear you were the victim of lightning striking the same car twice, that is very rare. You didn't take money OUT of the collection plate did you?

While it's possible the issues in the litigation you cite could have contributed to the problem, I would think well before oil starvation became an existential threat to the engine that all kinds of warnings would be tripped. Did they all fail to go off or were they ignored? Catastrophic and sudden parts failure usually occur during the infant mortality period, not after five years, unless continual high stresses were exerted on good parts. That could be anything from gas or water dilution of the oil to hot rod driving near redline. I don't know so I'm not judging, just tossing out the bookends to the wide range of possible causes beside or possibly in addition to VCM. Haven't seen or heard any actual evidence yet, and it sounds like you haven't and may never.

Good luck with this, if you ever find out the causes, I'd be interested in hearing what they were. In any event, I hope it turns out in your favor.
The tech pull told me the DTC shows Engine Misfire....
I am at the dealer trying to have them write up a report so i can send to Honda Care...

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Unlucky as all heck.

You mention Hondacare....but it also sounds like a non Honda extended warranty in earlier posts. What are we dealing with here? All I know from experience here with extended warranty that the non Honda branded extended warranties are always leaving customers stranded. Where is the first replacement engine from?

Are you using a different dealer to repair it a second time?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Now I know. They are expensive too!!!
I have admit, I do realize some people do not live where they can even perform a simple Oil change, or have ever done it, or would even want to. I apologize if it came across like my 'holier than thou' attitude.

You have been wronged by this, and I hope you can have them make it right for you without too much of your time or troubles. No one has time for that.

Good Luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,836 Posts
If you are still at the dealer and if the warranty is the HondaCare one, ask the service manager nicely if you making a call to Honda Corporate and opening up a case will speed up the process. If the warranty is HondaCare I’m not sure why the dealer can’t submit the claim for you since it’s their product and their warranty. Good to get everything documented to your level of approval regardless of who the warranty is through.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Especially when the dealership slips the unsuspecting loyal customer synthetic blend.
For the past 18 years, my Pilot has been running just fine on whatever motor oil the dealer "slips" me.
In the beginning they were "slipping" me conventional oil.
Lately, they've been "slipping" me synthetic-blend.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
For the past 18 years, my Pilot has been running just fine on whatever motor oil the dealer "slips" me.
In the beginning they were "slipping" me conventional oil.
Lately, they've been "slipping" me synthetic-blend.
So you went from the worst to just bad.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
So you went from the worst to just bad.
My wife doesn't always have the patience to wait until I'm in the mood to change her oil so sometimes she takes it to the dealer. I suggested she find out what kind of oil they use. She said she remembered to ask and they told her, "genuine Honda oil." So I said, oh thank goodness.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts