Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Honda Pilot 2014 Paint Peeling

5385 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  RAL
I own a 2014 Honda Pilot, I bought it brand new. It started having paint peeling problems as small spots in the paint and it continued growing to cover almost all the roof and the front car hood. I took the car to 3 different body paint shop and the 3 owners told me that the paint problem that my car has it the same as many other Honda Pilots that they have painted because of a Honda Paint problem and they advised me about Honda's paint recall. I started searching over the Internet and I found many other owners with the same problem as me. I called my local Honda dealer and they asked $90 dollars for a paint estimate. One of the managers told me to write a letter to Honda of America, which I did. I wrote them explaining every single detail about the paint peeling and included many pictures. One of their reps, not very friendly by the way, called me and told me that my VIN number was not included on the paint recall. I explained her everything and I told her that how it was possible that my car is having the same problem as the other Pilots on the recall and just because it was not included in the recall they are not be able to help me. In a rude way, she just repeat over and over that my car was not included on the recall and that she can not do anything about it, I asked her for a manager and told me that there was no one to help me and that the Honda of America customer service was my only channel for help.
The body shops charges over $1,200 to paint the roof and the front hood and advised me to do it because the car can start to rust and It will be wasted. I do not know what else to do so Honda can accept the responsibility that they DO have a paint problem and that my car DOES have it. This is my second Honda car, and I did not have this problem with my Accord. I will never ever ever will buy another Honda again and I have told everyone who wanted to buy an Honda NOT do it. I have always gave great maintenance to this car and it is unbearable that Honda do not want to help me in any way. I trusted Honda and Honda failed me BIG when they decline to help me. Thumbs down to HONDA!!!! #hondaofamerica #hondapilotpaintrecall

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,831 Posts
Wow that is some damage! I have not seen clear failure like that on a second gen Pilot, especially to that extent!

Where is the vehicle located? How is the weather there? How have you maintained the finish?

The fact is you are out of bumper to bumper warranty and only Taffeta White was part of the recall. I haven't seen any other color with a failure like this which leads me to think it is environmental.

· Registered
2 Posts
I also have a paint flaking problem with my 2014 Honda Pilot; They were not interested. The paint came off my car forming a spot the size of a baseball. This paint came off in a single hunk down to the undercoat, This is the fourth (of five) Hondas that I have had with paint peeling and de-lamination problems. I guess the only recourse that we have is to STOP BUYING HONDA vehicles, and let others know how poorly Honda treats its repeat customers.
Plant Hood Road surface Asphalt Shade
Plant Hood Road surface Asphalt Shade

· Registered
126 Posts
The white Pilot has the paint peeling. That is a prep issue and it will need to be stripped and repainted. Hopefully with financial participation from Honda. The original poster has oxidation and wear, primarily from UV exposure - the palm trees in the photo give that away. Garaging or covering plus regular treatment with a wax or sealant with UV protection is how this kind of thing is avoided. That is not a factory paint issue, but rather a wear and (lack of) maintenance issue. My basis for saying this is that I used to detail cars professionally as a way to pay for school. That will also need to be prepped and repainted but a good result will be difficult to get because the vertical surfaces probably will also show substantial color change. My advice would be to leave as is or move on from the car unless you don’t mind spending the serious money ($5k or more) that it will cost for a quality respray. Good luck with it. Fwiw there is nothing wrong with Honda paint - the issues with taffeta white are legitimate but are not just a Honda issue. Our dark cherry red Pilot is a ‘12 and looks close to new.

· Registered
2 Posts
This vehicle has been garaged every day for its entire life. It was washed and waxed regularly. It has less than 50K miles. It is NOT due to exposure! We had another Honda that had its finish fail. I know what that looks like. This is not a maintenance issue, I'm very certain of that!
Plant Water resources Hood Road surface Asphalt
Plant Water resources Hood Road surface Asphalt

· Registered
2019 EX AWD
110 Posts
The original poster has oxidation and wear, primarily from UV exposure - the palm trees in the photo give that away. Garaging or covering plus regular treatment with a wax or sealant with UV protection is how this kind of thing is avoided. That is not a factory paint issue, but rather a wear and (lack of) maintenance issue.
The original poster has oxidation and wear, primarily from UV exposure - the palm trees in the photo give that away. Garaging or covering plus regular treatment with a wax or sealant with UV protection is how this kind of thing is avoided. That is not a factory paint issue, but rather a wear and (lack of) maintenance issue.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side-view mirror Wheel
I sold my white 2000 Nissan Quest last year. Most of the time (80%) parked outside in sunny California weather. There are also plenty palm trees around here. Car was washed 2 times per year in the summer ( never in the winter, rain), never waxed, no "special" coating etc. And somehow paint looked great when I sold it after 20 years. I bought new 2019 Pilot (modern steel) and already had 2 areas repainted because of paint bubbling/wrinkling. Let just face it. Honda paint quality is simply LAUGHABLE.

· Registered
3,376 Posts
In the garage here, we have a 4Runner from Japan, and some German cars built and painted in the fatherland. The Pilot has the softest paint of the bunch, by far. Painting in the US is much more carefully defined by emissions and worker safety, from the original paint manufacturing processes all the way through application at the car factory. Paint is also a cost issue, and good paint is a lot more expensive to buy than "OK" paint. Just a gallon of the quartz clearcoat on late Benzes is close to $1k plus all the solvents, and can't be legally applied in the U.S. in most "normal" paint booths.

My Pilot is 'missing' clearcoat on all the not-external-facing painted surfaces. Under the hood, for instance. It wouldn't take the robots another 30 seconds to lift the hood and clear the painted engine bay on the way through the end of body production, and less than $20 in the extra water-borne paint. Given the option, I'd have easily voted for an extra $50-100 for more clear on the rest of the body too. Not an option...

So, whether the reported paint failures have anything to do with particular colors, how you use or where you park the car, or what wax you use and how often, all are questions for experts. Do certain colors or trim levels get any extra prep attention? To my amateur eyes, the failures seem to be related to prep under the color coat. Folks reporting here don't seem to share whether a patch was showing color-coat failure from a clear-coat breach, prior to having a whole patch seem to just fall off.

Then regardless of all this, we are talking about cars that have enjoyed more than warranty-plus years of service before showing failure. Honda offered some silent-warranty assistance for a while in the early days of reported failures. By now though, all that is behind us, and the factory feels that we've received sufficient service from the paint prior to failure. Whether affected customers will carry their disappointment to their next purchase choice is a gamble that Honda seems to be willing to take.

Vote with your wallet.

Reactions: briantii

· Registered
13 Posts
I have the same thing with OP on the roof. But now the pilot started to show fade and peeling paints on all four doors. And huge miscolor and fading on the hood. '13 with less than 68k miles on it. Dark Cherry Pearl II and was parked outside every day.

I am not going to deal with Honda anymore since they only give more stress like my previous honda in the past with exact same issues. SOO going to keep driving to give another honda owners bad tastes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.