Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I am looking for some guidance from the fellow Honda Pilot Owners and Experts.
I have a 2010 Honda Pilot and got 162k miles on it.
Couple of months back, I started having issues with my car (engine idling rough, check engine light flashing, hesitating engine).
I took it to my trusted mechanic and he read the codes and told me that the 'cylinder# 1 is misfiring' so he asked me to change all the 6 spark plugs to see if the issue goes away.
I replaced all 6 of them and the issue went away for a month or so.
I had the same issue again this Saturday and when I took the car back to the shop, it read the same 'misfire code' in addition to the VSA light now on.

The mechanic then swapped the spark plug from cyclinder# 5 to cylinder# 1, to check if its the spark plug issue.
But that didnt resolve the issue.

After checking few things, he told me that there is a Service Bulletin# 13-080 from Honda which was talking about 'Piston Cleaning and Ring replacement'.
He recommended to take it to the Honda dealer and when I spoke with the Honda dealer service people, he told me that the warranty doesnt cover this since the warranty was extended only for 8years from the date of purchase and I have to pay $3500 to fix the issue.

I have read some posts in this forum which was talking about installing the 'S-VCM Controller' as an alternative (temp fix).
The other option that was recommended by my mechanic was to 'periodically' replace my sparkplug (on cyclinder# 1) to handle the issue.

I am looking for advise or guidance from the fellow Pilot Owners/Experts on which option I should take.
I really dont have $3.5k to fix the issue immediately. I truly appreciate any advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi -

I am looking for some guidance from the fellow Honda Pilot Owners and Experts.
I have a 2010 Honda Pilot and got 162k miles on it.
Couple of months back, I started having issues with my car (engine idling rough, check engine light flashing, hesitating engine).
I took it to my trusted mechanic and he read the codes and told me that the 'cylinder# 1 is misfiring' so he asked me to change all the 6 spark plugs to see if the issue goes away.
I replaced all 6 of them and the issue went away for a month or so.
I had the same issue again this Saturday and when I took the car back to the shop, it read the same 'misfire code' in addition to the VSA light now on.

The mechanic then swapped the spark plug from cyclinder# 5 to cylinder# 1, to check if its the spark plug issue.
But that didnt resolve the issue.

After checking few things, he told me that there is a Service Bulletin# 13-080 from Honda which was talking about 'Piston Cleaning and Ring replacement'.
He recommended to take it to the Honda dealer and when I spoke with the Honda dealer service people, he told me that the warranty doesnt cover this since the warranty was extended only for 8years from the date of purchase and I have to pay $3500 to fix the issue.

I have read some posts in this forum which was talking about installing the 'S-VCM Controller' as an alternative (temp fix).
The other option that was recommended by my mechanic was to 'periodically' replace my sparkplug (on cyclinder# 1) to handle the issue.

I am looking for advise or guidance from the fellow Pilot Owners/Experts on which option I should take.
I really dont have $3.5k to fix the issue immediately. I truly appreciate any advise.

Thanks
I recently had a cylinder misfire, my mechanic recommended changing out the coil pack. (Also my VSA came on too - freaked me out). Changed the coil pack, drove a day or so, it went away and hasn’t been back since. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts