Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving around a curve I noticed that my oil light flashed on. It was blinking not staying on. I immediately pulled over and checked my oil the dipstick looked dry. When I restarted my car light did not come back on and I went to the hardware store (6 blocks away) added a quart and checked dipstick again still looked dry. I thought I wasn't checking it right. Went to valoline had them check and top off, they added 2 more quarts. So 3 quarts low out of 4.5 quarts. Did I ruin my engine. No weird smoke. No weird noise. My care has 166k miles changed oil every 3-4 k miles never had an issue with low oil.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You probably had not ruined it, but keep an eye on it and keep adding, as it apparently consumes oil now.
I was in your boat after I bought my pilot. This is the first Honda car, and actually the first car which consumes oil out of 7 that I owned.
Since then I figured the rate and keep adding oil.
When was the last time you changed the PCV valve? Also, are you using high mileage oil? You should. It might help alleviate the loss of oil through the valve seals.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the PCV valve
Great minds think alike. @can and Scotty Kilmer say PCV valve.

Just take care when you try to remove the old one.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
And if all else fails, time for some snake oil AT-205.

Once again, ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Scotty Kilmer...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I'll have them look at the PCV valve. It still runs well. It kind of correlates when my water pump failed thus over heating.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Overheating can do all sorts of damage, including to the seals. That sucks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checked my pcv valve. Its good. No blue smoke or weird smoke. No clunking engine seems to be running fine. No leaking..

I came to 2 conclusions. 1. I bet you they didnt put enough oil in last during oil Change and 2. I will check my oil everytime I fill up with gas. And after every oil change. Hope that is the case

1 - 7 of 7 Posts