Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I'm brand new in this forum, yesterday while driving my wife's car I notice these 4 lights that were on her dashboard.
She did mention she thinks she hit a curb like a week ago so not sure if it's that.

I tried the paper clip trick to get the lights to blink and see which code comes out, but I can't find anywhere a list of the codes or how to read the blinking lights.

I have recorded a video with the lights blinking, if someone could guide me about how to read them would be great.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
Check this video at roughly the 7:00 mark.

You will see a series of long pulses (upper digit) followed by a series of short pulses (lower digit). Then a short pause. If there is only one code this sequence will repeat. If there are multiple codes it will follow the sequence long, short, pause, long, short, pause, . . . -> back to the first code.

You only have to turn the key to the II position to get the codes to flash on the dash.

Given that you’re getting TPMS and ABS lights I would compare the sensors at the wheel which hit the curb to the opposite wheel. Look for a damaged sensor, broken wire, etc. If it ends up being the TPMS sensor you will need to go to a tire shop to have it replaced.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: doug87z

·
Registered
570 Posts
She did mention she thinks she hit a curb like a week ago so not sure if it's that.
I've always found it interesting that when I've hit a curb, it's impossible not to know that's what happened, but there's plenty of people that are unsure. Maybe I'm the careless one.

It's most likely the speed sensor on that wheel. The code will tell you which wheel, to confirm.

If you've got a jack and stands, it's an easy DIY replacement. The part is quite delicate, though. Be careful putting the new one in. Given the age of the car, you may have to drill the business end of the old one out from the knuckle after it breaks when you try to pull it out manually.

If you don't want to DIY, a good independent mechanic should be able to replace one speed sensor in an hour easily.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Given your curb incident and your specific array of Christmas lights, unlikely it's TPMS. More likely it's the wheel speed sensor, as suggested above. The page from the Service Manual I've attached for you should help you visualize things.

Also, if you DIY, you'll thank yourself for getting a Foxwell NT630 Plus scanner, since the Service Manual calls for resetting codes and settings with the dealership's HDS machine. Sure, you might be able to do it with the pin-jumping method, but aside from the risk of shorting the wrong pins (it happens), it's a lot easier and safer with that scan tool, which is the least expensive one I've found that reads Honda-specific codes. It's also bidirectional. I'm sure glad I got it, as it pays for itself as soon as you can skip just one trip to the dealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys for all your help!

I forgot to mention I have an OBD2 Scanner but until(thanks to plplplpl) I realized my scanner is garbage, it's a basic model just for check engine lights, no wonder why when I tried it nothing showed up regarding the abs lights. I have decided to order another and return that one. In the meantime ill give it a try with the video and see if I'm able to get the codes.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Glad to hear a success story, eh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts