Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my pilot this past weekend and a couple days ago I tried driving it and when I turned the key in the ignition absolutely nothing happened, no noise, no lights, no clicking. I tried jumping it with an external jumping kit, nothing happened. I took the battery out and put it on an external charger. It read 13.1V 3.1A and 75% charge and the battery was very recently bought so it is not a battery issue. I put the battery back in the pilot and still same issue, I read the voltage on the battery while connected and it was around 5.4V, very low. As soon as I took it off it read 11.1V. So I went around the pilot and checked EVERY fuse with a multimeter, all of them are good. So I started pulling fuses one by one and reached the BACKUP ACC fuse. When I pulled it out the voltage shot up to about 9V but was fluctuating. I further went on removing fuses and got to the RADIO fuse, when I pulled that, it stopped fluctuating and went up to 11.8V. The pilot would still not start, same issue (tried jumping with the 11.8V too). Then I noticed that when I put on the hazards, there was a clicking sound near the driver fuse box, it sounds like it’s coming from the grey box inside the driver side fuse box. However, I can’t get the grey box open. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Backup ACC is notorious for drains. Google it for some tips. Measure the current through the fuse and try to follow it. Download the FSM for that.
Hazard clicking should be normal, should it not?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
What you’re likely hearing is the hazard relay. The clicking is the mechanical relay arm swinging back and forth. That is normal.

What happens if you leave the radio and backup acc fuses uninstalled? Fully charge the battery then attempt to start the Pilot. This will give you a good idea if the issue is a parasitic current draw or if there are any additional items for you to investigate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even with both the fuses out, the issue persists but the drain is gone with the battery fully charged. And the sound coming off of the hazard clicking is not the normal sound, I would upload a video not the forum won’t let me upload it or attach a google drive link.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Let the admins know about video upload. They are adamant this new site is the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
When you say the problem persists it’s the Pilot not starting?
Do you see the green key icon light up on the dash when you insert the key? I think it does this . . . I’m the secondary driver on our Pilot so I can’t quite remember.
Do you hear the starter relay click when you turn the ignition key?
Does your Pilot have an alarm system which could be disabling the ignition signal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No green key, normally there is. Yes it still doesn’t start. No relay click, nothing at all. There is the default alarm system but i don’t think that’s the problem, i couldn’t find anywhere online to disable it either.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Have you tried starting the Pilot with its other keys?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, still nothing.
If you have an EX, the security system is integrated with car's multiplex system so it cannot be easily disabled. Page 206 of your manual explains how the systems works - in a nutshell if you use the remote or lock the doors with the key the alarm will arm.
The fact that the security system is integrated with the multiplex makes me think it might actually have something to do with the multiplex because the multiplex makes that wiring sound when I turn on the hazards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drive<DOT>google<DOT>com/open?id=1-kThDRhsYE4DKZBo763hYFukNw7Ri8vk

Here is the link to the hazard whirring sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a way to check if my driver side fuse box/multiplex is bad? Just wanted some assurance before I order a new one.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I’ve been on this forum for a while and I can’t recall seeing a procedure to test that module. You might search the Problems forum to see if anyone else has dealt with this. Sorry I can’t offer any other advice on this one. Good luck.

·
Administrator
15,514 Posts
Even with both the fuses out, the issue persists but the drain is gone with the battery fully charged. And the sound coming off of the hazard clicking is not the normal sound, I would upload a video not the forum won’t let me upload it or attach a google drive link.
Links from new members are restricted at first. PM me URL without say the www.youtube part

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So a bit of new information, I fully charged the battery and the whirring sound when pressing the hazards went away, also I noticed that the brake lights don't turn on when I press the brake pedal so whatever circuit is messed up is also tied into the breaks. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the Pilot 2004 EX-L? Preferably all of it but just a diagram of the circuits connected to the brake light works too.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Closest wiring diagram I could find was for a 2003. Hope it's close enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More new information, I checked the voltage of the ignition switch. I might just be dumb but none of the contacts worked as a ground so I used an external ground. It had cables labeled ACC, BAT, 162A, IG1, and ST. All of the cables (which by the way are sauntered on) read 0.36V except BAT. BAT only read 0.36V after I switched the ignition to the ON position. Except for that, all of them read 0.36V no matter what position the key was in (including cranking it). Is this normal? Also, it may not be grounded as I could not find the ground that connects to the ignition switch, does anybody know where that is?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have almost definitely narrowed it down to the ignition switch, can anybody send a more detailed wiring diagram for the ignition switch?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts